Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #1

I want to tow this vehicle and wonder if anyone has had any experience in towing it? I can go either 2WD or 4WD, but don't find any listing for this car in the Remco Towing Application guide. Can anyone help me?

slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #2

I want to tow this vehicle and wonder if anyone has had any experience in towing it? I can go either 2WD or 4WD, but don't find any listing for this car in the Remco Towing Application guide. Can anyone help me?

Old 05-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #3

What year is the vehicle. Does it have a neutral position for the transfer case? Late model Toys have an electronic transfer case and can only be towed with a driveshaft disconnect. I assume it is an Auto tranny.

Moisheh
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #4

Don't think the year makes any difference. The mfr. ALWAYS has said these were not towable. I'd say 4WD is NOT towable, but with a driveshaft disconnect, a lot of vehicles can be. I'm just wondering if ANYONE has towed ANY type of 4Runner. If so, I can buy one off the lot with the proper engine/drivetrain.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are some people towing Toyotas and Lexus even though Toyota says it violates the warranty. Results reported here have been positive so far. Try a search (FIND) on Lexus towing and Toyota towing and you will find several threads reporting techniques and results.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #6

slabman:
buy the 4wd. If it has a manual transfer shifter with lo-neutral-hi markings. To tow just put transfer case in neutral, transmission on neutral, ignition in "unlock" position and tow it!!
if you add the charging line you can leave the parking/tail lights on at night. Also if you use a braking system like "brake buddy" it will apply both the brakes and the brake lights, so no extra towing lights needed. However you will not have any turn lights. So sounds like you need those clunky magnetic lights. There is a lighting kit available that lets you add and additional light bulb to each of the tail light housings. It is totally hidden. However you will have wiring and a plub to run from the toyota to the coach.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #7

Stretch, how are you going to get lube to that transfer case? I would think you at least need a lube pump or you'll cook that trans. fluid. The REMCO guy said the front drive line would be fine coming out of the trans case, but the rear needed his disconnect. Maybe we can figure out why he said that.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #8

slabman:
The transfer case uses a "splash: oiling system. I does noot matter whether the transfer case is towing or being towed, it is oiled just the same.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #9

Stretch, I stopped by my independent Lexus service garage today and they called the head Lexus guy at one of the large local dealerships. Officially, he said no towing, of course. But he did confess he's had several people towing both the LX470 or GX470. He said lube was pumped to the transfer case while the transmission is operating, so perhaps not as much lube goes to the transfer case gears when the TC is in neutral. Prob. means we need to run through those gears at every opportunity when stopped, etc. But he said somehow these guys were having success towing these vehicles.

I crawled under both the GX and the 4Runner at the Toyota dealer next door (They were probably wondering who that nut was under their cars)and it appears both cars share the same driveline mechanicals, so I'd put the 4Runner in the same towable category. So....let's go towing, boys!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #10

Thnaks for the info slabman. When the transfer case is in neutral there is no pressure on the internal gears. And as the tc gears turn in the oil they sling oil and all the moving parts. And I do start the engine every 400 or 500 miles while towing. Then I run thru the gears including reverse and shut it down and put tranny in neutral. I think it is just for insurance, however.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stretch,
The procedure you suggested above is for Auto or manual transmission? I have an opportunity to buy a 96 4Runner strictly for towing behind MH. I just want to make sure it is viable.
Thanks for your help -- Frank
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #12

Frank, those LX's are all automatics....no std. trannys in these babies. I put it in park so as to not let the gears free-wheel..the key can be in either accessory or off. I find mine will allow the frt. wheels to turn with either key position. I added supplemental LED brake/running lights to the rear bumper....I think Stretch did too. We also have charge lines from coach to toad to ensure the battery stays up. So just follow the above and start towing! But don't forget to release the parking brake like I did the first time.....
Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #13

been towing a 04 2wd v8 4rnr for over two years never a problem cut the drive shaft.....no pump toyotas dont like them.....
Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #14

Slabman, I've been towing my 2002 4Runner since 2003 with a Remco Drive shaft disconnect and no problems. I wouldn't chance trying to tow it with the 4WD in neutral, etc. Call Remco directly and they will give you instructions on measuring your current drive shaft for a replacement. Or, you can do as I did, and leave it (measuring) to the guys who were going to install it for me - that way it's their problem if the measurement is off. I had mine installed by a Remco authorized dealer, who is also a Prevost owner - but it never worked as it should. Finally took it to CW in Wilsonville,OR. Then made a simple adjustment and it's worked wonderfully ever since.

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote