Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #1

Have any of you folks tried to install a M&G System on a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Cayman Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Have any of you folks tried to install a M&G System on a Toyota FJ Cruiser?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #3

I've read of a guy over on the FJ forum that is using a Brakemaster system and I'm leaning toward the SMI AF-1 just because I'm a little concerned about how you have to install the M&G. Sorry couldn't be much help.
Rex&nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cayman Dave:
Have any of you folks tried to install a M&G System on a Toyota FJ Cruiser? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, I have installed two M&G brake systems and used them for nine years - they are the best and most simple toad brake out there in my opinion. You need to call them and be sure they make a unit for your specific TOAD - MAKE, MODEL & YEAR. If they do it is a very simple install and they will help you over the phone if necessary, or recommend a dealer near to you if there is one, or you can go to their plant in Athens, Texas and they will install the system for you at a very reasonable charge.

Their phone: 1-800-817-7698

M&G Engineering Web Site

Good Luck - Glenn
Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I too have put a few M&G systems on. I agree, they're the best thing out there. The only reason that I would not put one on would be if it wouldn't physically fit. and that is a possibility, depending on the toad.

The M&G module fits between your brake master cylinder and vacuum booster. That means that you brake master cylinder gets extended about 4". On my Grand Cherokee that was no problem. On my 2005 Wrangler there was a cruise control module in the way. I relocated the modiule to a different location and the M&G worked just fine. I also have my eye on a new Wrangler Rubicon for a future purchase but when I look under the hood there's aton of "stuff" right in the way. It's part of the antilock brake and traction control package and it would be areal nightmare to relocate so I would have to forego the M&G. In that case I'd get the Blue Ox BrakeSafe air cylinder that snaps between the pedal and seat.

In short, if you can free up a few inches of space in front of your master cylinder, you should be able to install an M&G system. It's worth a bit of work to do it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:45 AM   #6

To All who have responded Thank You. I just got an e-mail from M&G and they DO NOT build it for the FJ Cruiser.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 04:52 AM   #7

Have you checked with Toyota about flat towing the FJ. I asked my local Toyota dealer the 1st model year and was told it couldn't be (flat towed) so we bought a Liberty...Maybe things have changed since then.

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #8

Grumpy Dave that is a hoot a that was what they calle me when we built our house. Remco makes disconnects for the FJ for the 4wd and the 2wd but not the all wheel drive. What's up with building a unit like that that is not toadable.
It has a transfer case and a neutral position, how can the transmisson still be turning in neutral?
Happy Turkey Day
Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #9

I am in the process of rigging up to tow a FJ cruiser four down... Steep learning curve ...
First I had to install a Remco driveshaft disconnect ...and reinforce the receiver hitch.. even though Travel Supreme had installed it for a toad I just wanted to beef it up a little...I have a Blue Ox base plate ordered and Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bars with safety cable ...I have also ordered a Airforce One brake system for the toad...I already have a camera installed on the rear of the fiver and am installing smartire sensors in the toad's tires ....I'll post after the first tow ..BTW I was advised to place the FJ's transfer case in 2h and the tranny in park with the key in the ignition to keep front wheels from locking ..for the tow ..JMHO ...Jim
Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,Trailersaver air,SafVis Backup Cams4,XM,Smartire,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret,Choc Lab..Herrin Hauler Bed..SKP# 95463 [
Hogrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #10

Just a reminder.

Pick up a Blank Key from Toyota, about $10.00 to leave in the ignition. It will allow the steering wheel to turn however it will not work to start the FJ. It will prevent a theft.

IronRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #11

I'll do that ...thanks Rick ...Jim
Jim&Hazel,03 Volvo 610,425hp,10sp Autoshift,Eaton 3:90 rear,24.5Alum,184"wb,Trailersaver air,SafVis Backup Cams4,XM,Smartire,Garmin2720,CB,Rally Sport/TS,Bigfoot Levelers,03Roadking,02Dyna Lowrider,Golden Ret,Choc Lab..Herrin Hauler Bed..SKP# 95463 [
Hogrydr is offline   Reply With Quote