Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Can anyone tell me what fuses to pull on 2013 Tacoma.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #16

Went through the whole what can I tow issue in November and December of last year. Poppy Bill, the newer Tacomas cannot be towed 4 down for more than a few miles. Said so in the owner's manual. The service manager I talked to in St. George, UT confirmed no Tacoma's are recommended for 4 wheel towing, nor are CJs. You should really look at the owners manual before you try that tow. You might get away with dropping the driveshaft and using a dolly. We had a 2001 Pre-runner (they are all automatics), and I costed out trailers, driveshift disconnects and transmission pump systems. $3-4K. Just not worth it for that old a truck. We ended up getting a 2014 Subaru Forester Limited, Manual Transmission.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I will be going with a driveshaft disconnect. Will have driveshaft King in Dallas do the install and use a blue ox base plate and tow bar. I know they may cancel the warranty but I will except that if need be.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #18

Hollysrush--You didn't indicate if the Tacoma was going to be 4wd or 2wd.
If 2wd, I would go with a Remco drive-line disconnect.

Poppybill--I don't pull any fuses. Just put the key in the accessory position and make sure everything is turned off, i.e. radio, heater, etc. AND MAKE SURE THE EMERGENCY BRAKE IS OFF
Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy bill View Post
I plan to tow my 2013 Tacoma Auto 4 down. Would like to know what to do to keep battery from draining. Is there fuses you can pull or do you have to disconnect the battery. Thanks for any info.
Outside of a drive shaft disconnect nothing required. There is a very slight click just before "accessory" on the key switch that will unlock the steering column but no battery power is used.

Use a flat key for towing, no computer chip, and not connected to a key ring so there is no weight to swing the lock to lock or power on with the switch. Nobody can steal the truck with that key as it won't start the engine, just unlock the steering column.

They tow fine, keep the disconnect clean, I use spray Brake and Part cleaner followed with silicone spray.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy bill View Post
I will be going with a driveshaft disconnect. Will have driveshaft King in Dallas do the install and use a blue ox base plate and tow bar. I know they may cancel the warranty but I will except that if need be.
My local Toyota dealer put it in writting that the only thing not covered under my warranty was anything that the disconnected was attached to. That being the rear end. I had a transmission seal go out under warranty....I disconnected the driveshaft disconnect in the parking lot and the warranty work was completed at no charge. Re-connected the disconnect when I got home.

As a tip..spray paint a spot on both sides of the U bolts including the bolts and rear end housing.. If the disconnect ever has to be removed or slips, it is easy to line up the paint spots and tighten everything back down. No re-adjusting or re-setting, makes the job a 5 minute reconnect.

I have been towing the Tacoma for 4 years. I have had problems with the disconnect, but it turned out to be a bad yoke bearing since new. Once I replaced that it is working better than new now. The new company is much BETTER to deal with than the old Remco company was.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies.