Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Toyota Tacoma

We were planning on buying a 2013 or 2014 Toyota Tacoma 5 speed manual to tow behind RV. It is listed in 2014 Guide To Towing. Dealer says we cannot tow this vehicle with all 4 wheels down, but couldn't explain why. Has anyone else heard of this? I guess that is what owners Manuel says. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

don't believe a salesman check the manual yourself. if it states no 4 down towing you will void the warranty by doing so.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

Yeah, good idea, this dealer doesn't have a 5 speed and are trying to sell us an automatic.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #4

It's probably because the transmission oil doesn't get circulated with the engine not running. I had a '96 Chevy S10 pickup with the same problem. You could go for a Remco drive line disconnect. I've had one on my 2002 Tacoma with an automatic transmission and it's been working great for 10 years. Over 40,000 towed miles on it.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We wanted a Toyota RAV4 for a toad, but found out that "NO" late model Toyota is 4-down towable. Bummer.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Yep, that is what I have reading on line:(
Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I just noticed something in you original post. You said the Tacoma was listing in the "guide to towing" as towable.

The guide to towing is a list of vehicles that can "tow" ....not be towed. That would be the "guide to DINGHY towing"....and it doesn't list the Tacoma. It does list the Corolla, Matrix, and Yaris however.

I then went over to the Remco site and it doesn't list any toyota. I use to be able to access the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide (http://http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/), but now it looks like it will cost $1.99 even if you are a member. That's not good.

However, if you're so inclined, it would probably benefit YOU to download that guide as it is probably the most up to date listing. However, you can go to Store : Remco and plug in any make, model, year you want and it will tell you yea or nea.

Hope this helps

Ron
Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #8

Thanks Ron, after looking at book, you are right. Have done more research and from what I have learned, new Tacoma cannot be flat towed. We are now rethinking this whole thing and think we may just get some new tires and spruce up our 2004 ford ranger which is paid for and already setup for towing. Maybe a new paint job, hmmmm.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysrush View Post
Thanks Ron, after looking at book, you are right. Have done more research and from what I have learned, new Tacoma cannot be flat towed. We are now rethinking this whole thing and think we may just get some new tires and spruce up our 2004 ford ranger which is paid for and already setup for towing. Maybe a new paint job, hmmmm.

You know, that's exactly what we did when we first got our previous motor home. We had an '86 Toyota PU 4x4 5-speed that we had purchased new. It had about 200,000 miles on it, but seem to run real good. However, we didn't want to get caught out in the wild (we were going to Alaska) with a broken car, so we had the engine rebuilt, put all new chrome on the outside, all new lights/lens, new upholstery, brakes, wheel bearings, tires, and a bright shiny paint job and towing apparatus for a toad.

Everything worked great, except after going through Alberta, BC, and Yukon, we headed over the Top of the World Highway (gravel) and found out that the new paint job was being chipped on the top of the hood, cab and tonneau cover. We had taken precautions of getting a deflector that goes across the truck's grill and we drove very slowly and never had a problem with the grill or windshield. So much for the $2000 paint job.

So, my long winded point is that if you're contemplating a new pint job, you might want to rethink or get much better protection than we had.

Ron
Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #10

Ok so maybe no new paint, lol
Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I tow a Tacoma with A Remco Drive Shaft disconnect. The Tacoma tows great, but the Remco has been more problems than it is worth. I have replaced almost every component, the last one being the yoke bearing and all of that in only 13,000 miles of towing. I think you are smart keeping your ready to tow truck, or purchase one that is towabel.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #12

I had Remco disconnect on 2002 Sonoma 4x4 for 12 years with no problems. Just kept it lubricate well. Just sold it with 165000 miles.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I plan to tow my 2013 Tacoma Auto 4 down. Would like to know what to do to keep battery from draining. Is there fuses you can pull or do you have to disconnect the battery. Thanks for any info.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #14

[QUOTE="poppy bill;1939891"]I plan to tow my 2013 Tacoma Auto 4 down. Would like to know what to do to keep battery from draining. Is there fuses you can pull or do you have to disconnect the battery. Thanks for any info.[/QUOTE

You can do either or both. When I pull fuse it removes power jack from system which I use to power aux braking system so power to battery is simpler way. Just be sure all dash functions are off ie radio and AC/heater.
On my Terrain I put toggle to DC fuse with separate power jack for aux brakes. On Mini just shut everything down.