Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Toyota Tacoma towing

I haven't seen a tocoma as a toad here. Is there a reason? I would like tow a small pickup and that seems like a good choice. Are there complications? 4 x 4..

mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toyota does NOT recommend that their Tacoma be towed. Of course with a Remco kit on the drive shaft(s), they are towable. Now, I have seen people tow the older Tacoma's with a transfer case able to shift into neutral and they say they have had no problem but to my knowledge, it is not recommended by Toyota.

I had wanted to have another Tacoma but ended up buying a 4X4 Ranger 5 speed instead. This truck can be towed.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Diesel Pusher, TireTraker TPMS
'08 Honda CRV Protect-a-Tow
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not improve on Burfurd's answer.. I don't know about the 4x4 however.. I do know the rear wheel drive (2wheel drive) models you need a drive shaft disconnect from RemcoTowing.

So you understand.. With the drive shaft disconnect..

It is the same as if you crawled under and removed the drive shaft when you tow. NO connection between the transmission and wheels.. Also makes the ride hard to drive off with

No miles rack up on the odometer either.. All around best soultion to towing.

Do, add an aux braking system like the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelarator or the Invisi-Brake system (I think that's Roadmaster)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Unhappy Thanks

I wonder why, if you put the truck in neutral on thransfer case that it can't or shouldn't be done. I suppose they have their reasons.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tow a 2002 Tacoma 4X4, Put the transfer case in neutral and the 5 speed in neutral and so far (knock on wood) have had no problems. Right now I have new truck fever so called Remco about towing a new Tacoma and they said no, as they do not have pumps or disconects available.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
I have been informed that Tacoma 4x4's should not be towed 4 down. Guess I don't pay attention to what I am told. I have a 2000 Tacoma 4wd standard shift, with manual hubs and have towed it in excess of 10K miles. Transfer case in neutral, hubs disengaged and transmission in 5th gear (this is what I was advised to do by a Toyota 4wd engineer). I also subject my Tacoma to severe rock crawling and off road trails as a hobby. It is still functioning normally with no harm done by towing 4 down.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
We have a 2011 Tacoma 2wd V6 auto that we tow using the Remco driveshaft disco. Works fine, no load on trans, it's in park. FYI Remco no longer makes the disco, they sold the rights to another company. You must do a little Internet searching to find it.
Alan & Patty
Inbetween RV's
2015 Silverado
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Tacima towing

Thank you for your insites.