Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Toyota toad little help please

We are new to RVing and I am sure these questions have been asked many many times BUT is it true any Toyota car can be pulled behind RV without doing anything to them? Any other year model cars say 1998 to 2004 that are eash to tow? Also what is a good tow hitch (don't know exactly what you call this divise) that is easy and not to expensive to use to hook up to the RV and the car? As I mentioned IU am sure this has been covered many times but us new people still need to know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can take the time to help us. Headed to Branson today for second trip out. 42' Marquis and just love the RVing!! Later on

FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know where you heard that, but No, it is NOT true, at least according to Toyota, who does not approve towing any of their vehicles 4-down. And quite a few Toyotas do require a transmission lube pump (front wheel drive models, e.g. a Camry) or drive shaft disconnects (rear drive models). I do know of some 4WD Toyotas that people tow successfully without mods, though.

You may have been thinking of Hondas, which generally are towable if the proper procedure is followed. The Honda CRV is an excellent choice. So is the Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD and its twin, the Chevy Tracker 4WD.Many Saturns of that vintage are also towable. You can find lists of towable vehicles on the Motohome Magazine web site:
Dinghy Towing Basics

As for a tow bar, Blue Ox and Roadmaster are the most popular brands. I like the Blue Ox Aventa LX he best, but the Roadmaster All Terrain tow bars are also excellent.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Honda CRV or Jeep Wranglers are what I see most.
Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
let me add
any gm or ford product that uses the joint venture 6 speed auto will tow four down. its part of the design. and is spelled out in the owners booklet

this includes most from 2007 to present
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Recommend that you review the MH and FMCA annual tow guide. Some toyota with manual trans can be towed 4 down. Toyota auto trans will need some form of mods... see Remcotowing.com for assistance...
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 35P, Roadmaster F+R sway bars, Blue Ox Tiger Trac, 06 HHR toad
past:2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G
LandHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We looked at a Toyota dealership for any vehicles that could be towed 4 down, we were given a guide by the dealer and it showed only a few models from Toyota were towable and that the ones that were could only be towed at 30mph or less and only for 30 miles or less before you had to stop, start the Toyota and go through a procedure which I don't remember now before you could head down the road again. It was apparent Toyota didn't want us to tow one of their vehicles so we looked elsewhere. We haven't gotten it yet but when we do it will be a Honda CR-V.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #7

thanks everyone for replys I was just about to buy one!!! I called a Toyta service dept and they told me ANY TOYOTA could be pulled 4 wheels down???? ya saved me a bunch of potiental problems for sure
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
For ANY car you are considering for a toad, insist on looking at the owner's manual as part of the decision process. If the car is towable, it will say so in the manual and the procedure for towing will be spelled out. DO NOT trust the people at the dealerships, as they may well be completly clueless as to whether their vehicles are towable or not.

Also, look at the base plate (the part of the towing system installed on the toad) manufacture's web site to verify there is a baseplate available for the car you are interested in.
2006 Camelot PAQ
RR8S Chassis, Cummins ISL 400 hp
Ford Flex Toad
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
Triple E Owners Club
We tow a Corrola manual 4 wheels down - no trouble. The automatics can't be towed without an auxillary trans oil pump.
2007 Triple E - Empress Elite - Freightliner
WH 22 owner for 7 years
JCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
continued questioning

While I have you kind folks on athe line here I have another newbee question. First we have two fairly new cars-Honda pickup and 330 Lexus both of which we were told could not be towed. I never see it done but my question is why don't people use a car trailer and tow there toads with it?? I could tow either car and if I wanted to bring the motorcycle I could just put in the back of the pickup?? I don't understand why I never see this done. Got to be several good reasons ont to??? Very much appreciate you all taking time to help us. Thanks in advance for any help on the trailer deal
Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The three big reasons:

1. Where do you put the car trailer when you arrive at your destination?

2. The additional weight of the car trailer cuts into GCWR and the tow rating/capacity of the MH.

3. Additional time required to hitch the trailer, then load the vehicle onto the trailer and secure it.

People do pull vehicle trailers (open and enclosed) behind MHs, but as you state, it seems far more flat-tow. It's not unusual to see a pickup being towed 4-down with a motorcycle in the back.

RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
Toyota RAV4 towing experience

Purchased a RAV4 new in 01. Auto trans, and All Wheel Drive. Manual said 4 down towing ok if 55mph not exceeded and required stopping every 200 miles and letting the car idle in neutral for 5 minutes. Purchased Blue Ox tow bar & brackets and away we went from UT to FL and back over the winter. No problems. First time I got on RV.net Motorhome forum there was a post from a fellow with the same auto saying he was on his 3rd tranny replacement but Toyota refused to pay as they said he abused the unit. They went to Arbitration and HE LOST!

So, being the cautious guy I am, I built a travel log that I use for the RAV when towing. I show date, location, MH odometer reading, time start, time stop, odometer reading, how long I let the RAV idle and new start time etc, etc.

After our second trip to FL I took it to our local Toyota Service Center and asked to have the tranny and AWD unit serviced. They insisted I did not need to do that 'till recommended by the manual. I told them to do it anyway and have the tech note on the invoice the condition of the fluid and his assessment of wear. Fluid was good as new and no sign of internal wear (no metal in fluid).

We now have over 87K miles on the RAV and another 35 to 40 K of towing and have had ZERO problems. Even tho the unit is out of warranty, I still do as the tranny tech told me after that first serviceing: i.e., when preparing to hook up to the motorhome, always drive straight to the hook up point (do not shift into reverse anytime in this maneuver). Stop, shift to park, shut it off, hook up, then start the RAV, step on the brake, shift directly down to 1st, then to 2nd, then Drive and Neutral. Shut it down and start your trip. He suggested doing the start, shift from N to 1st, 2nd, Drive, and Neutral then let it idle 5 minutes EVERY time you stop whether 20, 100 or 200 miles. After the 5 minutes, shift again to 1st etc to Neutral and shut it off.

Maybe I'm just lucky but it still runs like new and the tranny and AWD unit has been serviced about every 25K miles since the first service and the fluid is always clear. Don't know if I'd do it again but it goes to show you that a Toyota Automatic can be towed safely. I'm a retired Navy Master Chief Petty Officer and a Master Chief never lies!

God Bless

Wayne & Dee Newberry
2004 Georgieboy Cruisemaster
Workhorse W22 with 3 slides
It's getting cold in ID...... think we'll head south soon!
Master Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Hey Two Stars

Only a Seinor Chief will lie.
Oops you had to go through there to get to Master!

FTM1 1963-1970 Uss Canberra CAG2 (70)

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote