Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Toyota Yaris 2012 Manual Trans

We just purchased a 2012 Toyota Yaris 5 door hatchback. (Manual transmission) Any one have advice on setting it up for towing? We plan to flat tow.

LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a starting point.

http://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2012_...Door+Hatchback

Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the link. Roadmaster seems to be the brand that I keeps coming up as the best fit for the Yaris.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like how Road Master has the removable plates. You can hardly tell they are there.

I have found that E-Trailer is great place to get everything I need to tow my vehicle. Their customer service and instructions are good as well.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Your goal in selecting your tow bar and base plate should be to have a tow bar that is parallel to the ground when all hooked up and ready to go. This may include some combination of a drop hitch on the RV and a high connection point on the front of the Yaris.Most tow bar manufacturers allow for a few inches deviation from parallel.
For example, note that the Roadmaster base plate for the Yaris shows a mounted bar height of 17 inches. Subtract that from the height of the hitch receiver on your RV to see how much adjustment is necessary.Usually, drop hitches of more than 4 inches aren’t recommended by RV manufacturers.
Good luck.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I checked prices at several places and Camping World had a competitive price for tow bar, base plate and accessory kit for Roadmaster. They are about 50 minutes away (Chattanooga) and will do the install on Nov. 10. Their labor estimate was reasonable and if I need additional equipment to make it right they should be able to handle it. Hopefully my 3" drop hitch will match closely enough. We plan to take the MH and camp at CW so we will be there early and throughout the install.
I've heard good and bad about CW service. I am hoping for good this time.

Now I'm trying to decide which braking system to purchase. I want the type that can be used in more than one vehicle. (I also have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that I hope to tow occasionally). Any suggestions?
Old 11-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Now I'm trying to decide which braking system to purchase. I want the type that can be used in more than one vehicle. (I also have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that I hope to tow occasionally). Any suggestions?

This is what I use, works exactly as advertised, easily switched between vehicles, takes a couple of minutes to install:RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System RVi2
Old 11-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
After watching many videos on removable braking systems I have decided to go with RVi2 braking system with the tire monitoring system. There are several that would work but I like this one because it is small and light weight and the tire monitoring is built in.
I found a good price at Dyersonline.com for the brake, monitoring caps and carrying case.
Unless someone can tell me a good reason not to use this system or order from Dyers I am going to order. (as soon as their website comes back on line)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
At Camping Wold - Chattanooga

We are set up for an 8am appointment at CW to do the install for the base plate and electrical for the Yaris. The tow bar and base plate is from Roadmaster and I am hoping for a simple and straight-forward install. I think they said the install time is about 5 hours. I hope to be able to give a good report when we get home.

The RV2 Brake system that I ordered should be waiting for us (according to UPS) when we get back to the cabin.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Camping World did ok...

Home from Camping World of Chattanooga. The install of the Roadmaster base plate went as scheduled. The price was as quoted. (about $1850 for base plate, accessory package, and Falcon All-terrain tow bar and labor) Lights work as they should and hookup is simple. Did not need a drop hitch. Towed very well, hardly knew it was there.
RVibrake2 was waiting on the porch when we got home.

Tags
toad, toad setup, towing, yaris