Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

TPM failure

We had a sudden loss of pressure in the RF tire of our toad at 55MPH. The flat caused the toad to steer to extreme right resulting in destruction of the LF tire as well as the RF tire & wheel. There was no audible or visual alarm from the TPMS. The TPM transmitter was working & indicating 37PSI an hour earlier. Our TPMS had been faithfully alarming out-of-limit pressure for 5 years. This was our first experience with sudden pressure loss. Normal operation is immediate audible & visual alarm whenever we remove a transmitter from a valve stem. Immediately following the failure, RF pressure & temperature readings were blank. We attached the offending transmitter to a properly inflated tire and there was no pressure or temperature indication. The offending transmitter had been in continuous service since 9/25/11. We returned it to the supplier for evaluation .
rmeusborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeusborn View Post
We had a sudden loss of pressure in the RF tire of our toad at 55MPH. The flat caused the toad to steer to extreme right resulting in destruction of the LF tire as well as the RF tire & wheel. There was no audible or visual alarm from the TPMS. The TPM transmitter was working & indicating 37PSI an hour earlier. Our TPMS had been faithfully alarming out-of-limit pressure for 5 years. This was our first experience with sudden pressure loss. Normal operation is immediate audible & visual alarm whenever we remove a transmitter from a valve stem. Immediately following the failure, RF pressure & temperature readings were blank. We attached the offending transmitter to a properly inflated tire and there was no pressure or temperature indication. The offending transmitter had been in continuous service since 9/25/11. We returned it to the supplier for evaluation .
Could be the battery. Did you take out the battery and test it?
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Community Moderator

sorry for that...can you tell us what brand your tpms is so we know...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

I'd rather not hear the brand until the response is posted by the OP.

Even though my TPMS sensors have a low battery alert on my monitor, I put new batteries in at the start of my season.

The button cell batteries normally used in a TPMS sensor are ~3 volts. How do you test one? What's low for a button cell battery?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #5

Thanks for all your responses. We haven't yet decided on revealing the brand of our TPMS. It will probably depend on what kind of response we get from the supplier. Our system doesn't have user-serviceable batteries. That type wasn't offered by this supplier when we got our system 5 years ago. Also, we don't have "a low battery alert". Our only way of knowing when a transmitter battery is dead is when it stops giving pressure & temp indications. Then we have to send the transmitter in to exchange for a "retooled" transmitter.

You've given us some good reasons to switch to a system with replaceable batteries.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

The distributor of our failed TPMS is Truck Systems Technologies. Although the failure of their model 510 TPMS cost us $750 for wheel & tires & 4 days downtime, to be fair, TST has treated us well over the years and they tried very hard to remedy the current problem including free replacement of the offending transmitter. They did an autopsy on the offending transmitter and found “moisture had permeated the sensor and created an electrical short.” They offered to do “whatever it takes” to satisfy us. Sadly, our TPMS research has led us to decide to switch to PressurePro - Tire Pressure Monitoring System HOME because of their outstanding reputation and their compatibility with our VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. Apparently, TST doesn’t sell a TPMS compatible with the VMSpc, because they didn’t respond to our request. We plan to have our new PressurePro system up and running in time for our next trip beginning April 1.

[ moderator edit ]
Old 02-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess your rear camera did not show the problem.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

I'm thinking that a TPMS would not have time to give you a warning if a tire catestrophically deflates in an instant. Also, could the TPMS sensor have been damaged too quickly at the critical moment to alarm, albiet after the fact?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
I guess your rear camera did not show the problem.
No indication on the rear camera, only a slight tug to the right consequent with the thump of the toad steering slamming against the right stop followed by howling of the LF toad tire.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I'm thinking that a TPMS would not have time to give you a warning if a tire catestrophically deflates in an instant. Also, could the TPMS sensor have been damaged too quickly at the critical moment to alarm, albiet after the fact?
The TST 510 system gives immediate audible and visual alarm when pressure to a properly functioning transmitter is lost.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
CampDaven,

Had a blow out of a rear outside dually in October and after I heard the 'pow' I immediately saw my TPMS registered a severe leakage (audible and blinking alarm) and told me exactly what tire failed.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
Community Moderator

a lot of people are using tst's, i assume it got to be good for the price. but i am using a less-than-half-that-price tire minder on each and every vehicle i own. they have not failed and alarmed me loud in the immediate event of losing air. the nicest thing is - i can change the batteries whenever they are weak (some online stores are selling the button battery for as little as $.25-.50 apiece+mailing).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
a lot of people are using tst's, i assume it got to be good for the price. but i am using a less-than-half-that-price tire minder on each and every vehicle i own. they have not failed and alarmed me loud in the immediate event of losing air. the nicest thing is - i can change the batteries whenever they are weak (some online stores are selling the button battery for as little as $.25-.50 apiece+mailing).
And the reason you're not telling us who makes them is ???????
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Assuming you have the TPMS from

Minder Research, Inc.
3000 SE Waaler Street
Stuart, FL 34997

We'd never heard of them. Looks like a good system. We're checking for compatibility with our VMSpc.