Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

TPMS on the Toad

I am getting ready to do a full replacement of the tires and wheels on my Malibu. Schrader has an optional aluminum valve stem that can be installed in lieu of the rubber valve stem. Curious if anyone has done this for installation of an external TPMS sensor? Is everyone just using the rubber valve stems on the toad for TPMS sensor installation? Also not sure about an galvanic corrosion of the sensor brass and aluminum valve stem with the batteries of the internal sensor.

Had an issue on my truck where I used an aluminum valve stem cap and they welded themselves in place. Had to have the valve stem replaced as a result and the dealer said they see this all the time.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rubber valve stems here with TT-500 sensors. No problems after a couple three years and about 20,000 miles.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I converted to metal valve stems when I installed my TST507 sensors 8 years ago. I have not had any problems so far.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I am getting ready to do a full replacement of the tires and wheels on my Malibu. Schrader has an optional aluminum valve stem that can be installed in lieu of the rubber valve stem. Curious if anyone has done this for installation of an external TPMS sensor? Is everyone just using the rubber valve stems on the toad for TPMS sensor installation? Also not sure about an galvanic corrosion of the sensor brass and aluminum valve stem with the batteries of the internal sensor.

Had an issue on my truck where I used an aluminum valve stem cap and they welded themselves in place. Had to have the valve stem replaced as a result and the dealer said they see this all the time.
Rubber valve stems here with anti-seize compound on the threads. EEZ recommends the use of anti-seize on their TPMS senors.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Rubber valve stems here with anti-seize compound on the threads. EEZ recommends the use of anti-seize on their TPMS senors.
I have not use the anti-seize on the coach, although I think the coach valve stems are brass and the inside of the EEZ sensor is brass as well. Have to look into this.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
tcg

I'm just curious, is there a lot of problems with tire pressure in a toad that would require constant monitoring? Doesn't the Malibu have factory installed monitors that can be checked just by turning on the key?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #7

Having all the weight of a TPMS sensor on the end of a rubber valve stem could lead to a valve stem failure do to the constant flexing of the stem. And yes, some have reported stem failures here on IRV2, not many, but certainly not a good thing to happen.

While our Jeep Cherokee has rubber stems, they are actually very stiff and seem to have some sort of solid core, so initially I was not really concerned. However, shortly after I installed the sensors, I was drivng the Jeep and at about 65-70mph I heard this "clicking" sound that I had not heard before. What was happening is that the entire Jeep valve stem and internal TPMS monitor were moving with the weight of the external sensor, and creatng the clicking sound.

I found that there was not a metal stem that would work on the Jeep, so after a lot of thought, I adapted Porsche Fuchs wheel valve stem supports to support the TPMS sensor. The second picture / post below is how they are installed on the Porsche wheel, up against the valve stems. (So, as you can see, Porsche was concerned with valve stem flex / failure at high speed). Given the design of the Jeep wheel, I could not get the support to rest against the stem, so I have them so the sensors rest on the support when installed. I had to cut the base of the support down a bit so it would not stick out on the Jeep wheel, and painted them black. The base has a adhesive so, it's just peel and stick.

I can never get 2 pics to attach, so the one here is how they are installed on the jeep, and the second is on they look on the Fuchs wheel. You can get these at any Porsche dealer parts dept., but expect them to have to order them. Not cheap (as expected); I think $8 a piece, and I got 5 so I'd have an extra one.

As for why have TPMS on a toad? Given they have a temp readout, if you have left the parking brake on or have some other brake issue with the toad, the heat reading may give you an alert before you have a real problem on your hands. And chances are, you would never realize you have a toad tire going down, or a even a flat, before you have some signficant damage to the toad, or create a dangerous situation for others (even have heard story, maybe an RV "urban legend", about a coach unknowingly dragging a toad with a flat, causing a roadside fire from the sparks). Another thing I have found, is that our Jeep tire temps are stay within a reasonable deviation to the coach tire temps, so that gives us another nice reference point to know things are good with the tires on both vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	188504  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Porsche Fuchs wheel valve stem support.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	188505  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #9

Pulled the trigger this morning and opted for the optional aluminum valve stem. At least now I have the option of adding TPMS to the car and will sort that out later. For $16 I think it was a no brainer but then again seems like things I do lately are screwed up so only time will tell
Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I'm just curious, is there a lot of problems with tire pressure in a toad that would require constant monitoring? Doesn't the Malibu have factory installed monitors that can be checked just by turning on the key?
Can't monitor the towed's tires from the MH that way.

I have a SmarTire system in the MH with all internal sensors. My CR-V has the factory TPMS system. Had internal SmarTire sensors added to the CR-V so I can monitor all tires while I drive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
A TPMS might have prevented this. A friend's Jeep where they forgot to unlock the steering wheel and this happened about forty miles into a trip. The whole tread blew off the tire and it managed to ride on the casing for a few miles on a narrow road to a stopping place. This had to have built up tremendous heat and pressure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JeepFlat.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	188555  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #12

Everybody thinks they'll be able to see a toad flat in the rear camera or feel it shaking around. I can guarantee that is not the case. I had a front right tire fail on a 1999 Jeep Wrangler behind my Monaco Knight DP. Didn't know a thing about it. Have no idea how far I pulled it with the flat. Someone finally pulled up beside me and motioned to the toad. I checked the camera and could see nothing wrong so I pulled it another couple of miles to a safe stopping spot. It looked just like the tire in the above posted picture. I have TPMS on toad wheels now.

I have rubber valve stems on the toad and have never had any issue from the sender weight. Toad valve stems are usually only and inch or so long. The valve stems on the motorhome are 4-5" long. Big difference.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Yes all newer vehicles sold in the USA have factory installed TPMS. The problem is when you are towing the vehicle it does you no good as you cannot see it! I cousin of mine had $3500 in damage to his toad before he noticed it had a tire problem. He now uses a toad TPMS
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought an inexpensive TPMS system on e-bay. I've had it a couple years now, it seems to be accurate and has warned me of a couple nails in the toad tires. We use it on our older 2003 Saturn Vue toad.

( I had three flats in Alamogordo NM last year. The tire guy said they had a big run on flat repairs)

A couple notes on this system:

The transmitters aren't powerful enough to reach the front of my 35 ft Southwind. The way we operate it, I put some Valcro tape on the wall near the rear of the Southwind. When we tow we take the display out of the Vue and stick it to the Valcro. You won't be able to see the pressures, but it does have a loud alarm that can be heard. I usually walk to the back of the Southwind at each stop to look at the tire pressures on the display.

The solar charge isn't strong enough to recharge the internal battery, I fully charge the unit (USB charger) and then it operates for weeks.

Although the unit is inexpensive, I've found it to be reliable and tells me what I need,
tire pressure.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Wirel...xaFyzP&vxp=mtr

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad