Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
Getting ready to upgrade from a gas class A to a 45' DP. I originally purchased a TPMS with 10 sensors (6 for rig, 4 for toad) and while I was ordering 2 additional sensors tonight for the tag, I got to thinking if it was really necessary to monitor the toad.

I have brand new tires on it and am thinking the likelihood of a blowout is very unlikely.

Thoughts?
I was pulling our toad last year with brand new tires on it. I ran over something in the interstate and it blew the front tire. I had no idea it was blown and I was pulling it down the highway on the rim. Could not see it with the rear view camera either. People started blowing their horns and I pulled over and saw it. The rim was ruined and the tire was shredded to pieces. I was lucky that no one was hurt but the front of the car was damaged and it cost around $1500 to fix. I immediately got a TPMS and use it religiously on all my tires.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
I got to thinking if it was really necessary to monitor the toad. I have brand new tires on it and am thinking the likelihood of a blowout is very unlikely.
I have new tires on my Allegro Bus, and the tires on our 2017 Jeep Wrangler are also new. The likelihood any of them will blowout, or exhibit any other kind of issue is also unlikely.

The dirty little secret is that however unlikely, stuff happens. You have no control over what your equipment might roll over at any time, any place. So what it amounts to is, what's your threshold of pain for that kind of eventuality?

If it's low, you put sensors on your tires. YMMV
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Scenario: Previous occupant of whatever space you are in dropped a screw, nail, or whatever and as you pull out of the space you run over one of those items. Doesn't matter how many times you check your pressures before you roll. Once you roll you are at the mercy of the pavement. A small puncture like a nail would sound the alarm on the TPMS a few miles down the road. New tires or not.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I also tie a white rag around the center top of the steering wheel and call it the Bunny Ears. You can see it easily in the rear view camera. Along with the TPMS you can see other anomalies that would make the Bunny Ears wiggle side to side.
Same here but I use a white plastic garbage bag.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd probably forget and have garbage in it. Still a good idea.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad