Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

TPMS Systems

Are there any after market TPMS systems for RV's that can utilize the oem factory sensor's present in my towed vehicle?
I'm looking for 6 + 4(towed) monitoring upgrade for my coach. Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think there are any systems that will interface with your toad's TPMS. Even if there was, you would have to leave your key on for it to be active. I use the TST monitor with the non pass through sensors on the Jeep and it works great.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I use the TST monitor with the non pass through sensors on the Jeep and it works great.
I just watched the TST promo video, they make a comment that one roadside tire replacement can cost up to $1000. Point being if you avoid one roadside service you have paid for your system twice over.
>>Is roadside tire service that expensive?<<

TST sounds like a good product.
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #4

After Market TPMS

You think someone would have figured out how to read the sensor's on the factory supplied wheels, I think its requirement to have on all new cars sold now. A popular manufacture of sensors is Schrader (315 Mhz or 433Mhz) sensors for oem, and several others supply sensors also. Sensor's are battery powered, and are in the valve stem inside the wheel. The battery lasts 10 years or 100,000 miles according to Schrader https://www.schraderinternational.com/Products/Product-Folder/NA-TPMS-OEM-Sensors?sc_lang=en-US-NA.
I can understand the after market of TPMS systems with external sensors for RV/truck/trailers/etc, especially on the BIG wheels but you would think someone would offer a remote receiver module, or black box gizmo, to pick up the towed vehicle wheel sensors.
Seems kind of silly putting an external sensor on top of the valve stem of the sensor already inside the wheel....
So my search continues for? a better? TPMS system.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #5

Factory systems are totally different. Factory senders are a pressure switch set for the car they are made for and only send a signal when the pressure goes below the limit. After market units are pressure sensors that read and transmit the pressure and temp constantly.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:38 AM   #6

Here's a minor advantage to having "belts and suspenders." I had a third-party TPMS on coach and toad tires. It turned out that the toad's TPMS light came on halfway through a multi-month trip, but all the tires were fine. The toad is six years old, and the likely failure was one of the two remaining TPMS sensors that I hadn't replaced yet. Until I could get time to get the toad's TPMS diagnosed and repaired, I used the third-party TPMS to keep an eye on toad tire pressures. Shortly afterwards it showed that I had a slow leak in one of the tires due to a screw through the tread. I probably wouldn't have noticed until the tire was almost flat. It also confirmed that the tire store's repair held air. You can do the same with a hand-held pressure gauge, I know, but it sure is handy to have the TPMS relieve you of that routine.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 AM   #7

I would add my TPMS to my toad tires but the valve stems are rubber and I am not sure there is a metal stem compatible with the TPMS GM sensor. Need to look into that.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #8

Good question.

Have never heard of any third party product that will receive the signal from OEM TPMS. Hope someone can identify something that will do this.

Some TPMS sensors, perhaps most, have non replacable batteries that have a finite life span - some say up to 10 years??? Others say 5 years.

Others work with passive RFID sensors, hence are not dependent on internal batteries. The RFID Transmitters/Monitors are usually hard wired to the onboard computer system, thus building a third party monitoring device might be problematic.

But there are new devices that can operate with Bluetooth and work with a Smart Phone App. Unfortunately they are external, but you can change the batteres.Take a look at these sites: The first reference describes typical INTERNAL TPMS. The other two cover bluetooth systems. It would be great to have both capabilities with an internal system.

http://www.digikey.ca/en/articles/te...toring-systems

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/12/10/...t-tpms-review/

http://www.gizmag.com/fobo-bluetooth...-system/33754/

Looked at the Shrader link provided in a previous post by chuck33 and sent Shrader a question on this subject. Will share my answer here when I get a reply.

Thanks for posting on this subject. I towed a car with a flat tire. Caught it in my camera before real damage was done. Now have external TPMS but batteries are not replacable and I have 10 sensors. Looking for best solution. Would like to have units placed inside the Rim.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have used TPMS since Pressure Pro came out in 04 on a Honda, Chevy Equinox, Ford Edge, F150 and a Kia on the original valve stems and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky ?
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

I use the Doran system and so far so good. I had an issue with rubber valve stem on my toad ( 2014 CR-V) I went to Costco and talked with a rep and he said they can install metal valve stems and they do it all the time. Not everyone in Costco was aware of this.

I should also note that my toad has a Indirect TPMS so the sensors are not in the stems
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #11

Walt 2317

I have a pressure pro system. It origanally came with 6 sensors, purchased in 08, and added 4 more sensors for the car. Unfortunately these are the type that the user cannot replace the battery. Are you on the original set? And are your batteries replaceable?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Walt 2317

I have a pressure pro system. It origanally came with 6 sensors, purchased in 08, and added 4 more sensors for the car. Unfortunately these are the type that the user cannot replace the battery. Are you on the original set? And are your batteries replaceable?
No I got about 6 yrs out of the and the price for new PP sensor was more than the TST 507 set that was on sale, the TST system is quility and the batteries can be owner changed. I did remove the outside cover on my sensor so I don't need the tool to install or remove.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #13

Thanks Walt. I remove my sensors when the RV is not on the road for an extended period. Same for the towed (have 2 toad veh so I switch anyway as required). Mine are still working but it does not look like I will go to one whereby I cannot change the batteries.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #14

What I've never understood is why none of the TPMS manufactures haven't made a repeater that also translates OEM protocol. That would give them a real edge for a while.

I don't know if OEM sensors transmit tempature but just don't display it unless it goes too high and then display it as a fault.

I don't believe any OEM only sends pressure when the tires are low. I know that my Dodge Journey sends pressure all the time so I assume that Jeep does as well.