Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Am considering a Chevy Tracker to use as a toad (am tired of crawling in and out of a Saturn L-200). Realize that in order to tow, I need a 4X4, but am interested in experience from other Tracker toad owners. Thank you.

RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Am considering a Chevy Tracker to use as a toad (am tired of crawling in and out of a Saturn L-200). Realize that in order to tow, I need a 4X4, but am interested in experience from other Tracker toad owners. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Had a 99 tracker Two-wheel drive and towed great, also the Suzuki Grand Virtara with 4X4 and Automatic. Both were the same to drive but the 5-speed and 4 banger got almost twice as much gas millage as the Suzuki[V-6] Both great toads.Wish I had the Tracker back..
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Red T, I have been dragging around a 1999 Chevy Tracker 4x4 for the last few yrs. What a sweet toad they make, ours is a manual trans. They are out there for low prices if ya shop around for a used one and parts are very abundant. Buy a beater and clean her up.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:48 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Have been looking here in the Phoenix area, but 4X4 Trackers are a bit scarce. Think I'll take your advice and keep looking - am not in a hurry, so will wait for the right one to come along.

M&G tells me that their toad braking system will fit, but is a bit difficult to make it fit due to the frame strut under the hood. Gotta have my M&G brake system! <G>
Old 01-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We've had two 4 Door, 4WD Trackers and towed them happily for about 55,000 miles so far. Had a 2000 4 cylinder and now have a 2003 V6, both automatics. The V6 gets about 2 mpg less than the 4 banger but is smoother and much more powerful. This is our only car, so we drive everywhere, including long non-RV trips, and are quite happy with it. About the only complaint we have is fairly loud rear tire noise, but this tends to happen in all small SUVs. The rear wheels are close to the cab and sound insulation isn't that good to begin with.

The Suzuki Vitara & Grand Vitara is the same vehicle - both are made in a Suzuki plant in Canada. I actually like the Grand Vitara a bit better, but got a better price on the Trackers.

We recently bought a bigger coach with more towing capacity and will probably trade up to something a bit larger now, possibly A GMC Envoy. Want to buy a nice 03 ZR2 with base plates and hitch ready to go?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2002 Tracker 4X4 automatic with V6 4 door that we use for a Toad. Has about 12,000 miles on it towed. I did not want to stand on my head to pull and install fuses so I installed a Marine Battery switch under hood to switch Off when towing. works great,you will have to reset the clock, but thats why we bring our wives!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
the little 2 dr rag tops IMHO are the best. Top down beach cruiser

Mr C I like the battery disconnect switch idea, save battery and may save the car from bandits.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I've got a '96 Sidekick for sale. I've used it as my toad for several years. It's a 2dr convertable 4x4, 5spd. It's in great shape. I'm selling it because I now plan on towing my '04 Explorer and no longer need the sidekick
you can PM me for details.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have a 2002 Tracker 4X4 automatic with V6 4 door that we use for a Toad. Has about 12,000 miles on it towed. I did not want to stand on my head to pull and install fuses </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But why do you pull fuses on the Tracker? It's not necessary...I have never done so with either of ours.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the offer of a ZR2, Gary but Florida is a bit far to travel. &lt;G&gt;

The search for a Tracker turned up an '03 Jeep Liberty......it's loaded, a bit heavier than I really wanted, but hey, the old CAT says no problem, and it's the same color as the coach. What else would I need? &lt;G&gt;

So, now I'll have to change my signature element as soon as I install the base plate and swap the M&G brake system over.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #12

Congrats on the new toad Red.

I too have a Tracker as my toad. I never even know its back there most of the time (except when I want to back up ) Its a rag top and the major problems in the 20+ thousand miles it has been toad is the plastic strap that actually holds the top to the vehicle broke and I had to replace that and recently the rear axle seal started leaking. Great little toad but I dont recommend it for longer trips.

hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote