Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trailer

One other way we can go.The couple we bought the M/H from(40' monaco diplomat 400 Hp with 10,000 towing) has a 24' in closed car hauler,we could always use the extra storage in trailer. Question is
1) what does this do to gas mileage?
2)can we find many camp grounds that we can store a trailer or with long pull through's
3) we are pushing 70' do in need a CDL we will be from Maine to Texas,Utah,etc
4) we make a lot of art shows so we could pull the trailer with the jeep to use at art shows. Jeep is the 5.7 hemi with tow package.
This way save ware on toad tires,etc.
5) Will i run over a lot of VW' turning corners one or 2 is ok just don't want to make a habit of it.
What are your thoughts. Thanks again. Tim
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #2

Ha! Gotta watch those VWs on the inside corners. I would try the trailer out. I'm sure it would decrease fuel mileage going up hill, but not too much on the flats because once you are up to speed, the trailer will be in the slipstream of the MH, not hitting the wind head-on like the front of your rig.
I think the major issue would be how you would tie down your toad inside the trailer. It would have to be easy and very secure. I don't have a trailer, but see a lot of them on the road behind big MHs. Someone here should be able to answer the mileage question.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagcat View Post
One other way we can go.The couple we bought the M/H from(40' monaco diplomat 400 Hp with 10,000 towing) has a 24' in closed car hauler,we could always use the extra storage in trailer. Question is
1) what does this do to gas mileage?
2)can we find many camp grounds that we can store a trailer or with long pull through's
3) we are pushing 70' do in need a CDL we will be from Maine to Texas,Utah,etc
4) we make a lot of art shows so we could pull the trailer with the jeep to use at art shows. Jeep is the 5.7 hemi with tow package.
This way save ware on toad tires,etc.
5) Will i run over a lot of VW' turning corners one or 2 is ok just don't want to make a habit of it.
What are your thoughts. Thanks again. Tim
My mileage went up slightly with the trailer vs 4 wheels down, I attribute it to less drag when it comes off the roof of the coach to the roof of the trailer vs hitting the windshield of the Denali. But very minor difference.

In 4 years of pulling a trailer, I have only had to unhook at 2 campgrounds, I have never had to pay extra for storing the trailer.

Length doesn't have anything to do with CDL in my home state.

I agree you will save a lot of wear on your toad, it will also be very clean when you arrive at your destination, more secure if you overnight in parking lots while traveling, and no dings or sand blasting on the front end. You can also back up if needed.

I have not had any issues running over things, I would recommend staying on truck routes and learning sometimes you may need to make a left turn instead of a right turn due to space constraints, but if you plan ahead it isn't a big deal. The biggest inconvenience for me in this regards is parking lot entrances/exits, I am always careful due to dips or twisting of my coach frame anyways, but even more so with the trailer due to potential of dragging the weight distributions bars.

I love the flexibility of taking any vehicle I choose, or taking both my Harley and a vehicle, or multiple bikes when we go with a group for a destination ride.

Biggest drawback for me is I do miss having the option of towing 4 down to get preventative maintenance so I could leave the coach and just unhook the toad and go home until it was time to pick up the coach. But I no longer own a vehicle that is capable of towing 4 down.

Good luck on your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	57833  
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote