Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Unhappy Trailer Brake Controller

I'm going to be towing a car trailer behind the MH. Now I've got to wire up the brake controller and have no idea what I'm getting myself in for. The MH is a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star, and I hooked up the trailer and everything (electrical) works fine. Any help for wiring the brake controller? It's a Tekonsha P3.

Charlie, Jackie
w/Lucy the Dog & Jack the Cat
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 4529
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first thing you need to do is find out if you have a brake wire from the trailer electric plug in the back to the front. I just installed a trailer brake controller myself (2003 Coachmen Rendezvous), and while it was a pain, I eventually did find the single blue wire not connected to anything under the dash and used a multimeter and another length of wire to confirm it was the appropriate wire coming from the trailer connector. Once you have that wire, the rest is pretty simple - +12v, ground, and brake light switch wire which are all pretty simple to find under the dash.

The trailer connector brake wire is the hardest part.

Shadow520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wiring up the controller is very straight foreward.. Just download the owner's manual, (or the install if different) basically it's just a few wires.

Worst case Tekonsha is about 12 miles South of Marhsall, off I-69 between the "old 27" exit and the M-60 exit... I was there just a few weeks ago.. Propane 2.69 on what used to be my dad's farm back when I was growing up.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
My 2012 already had a brake controller connector up under the dash. I just had to buy a patch harness to connect it to the brake controller (@ $10). I found the blue wire at the back of the RV taped in the harness about 3 ft back from the 4 pin trailer lights connector. I replaced the 4 pin with an RV type 7 pin that allows for my brake control and a charging wire for the break away system I put on.
2012 Thor A.C.E. 29.1
2010 Ford Escape 2012 Master Tow Dolly
Towertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Tekonsha P3 is not at all hard to install - just follow the installation instructions. A call to Newmar should tell you whether you already have a brake controller power feed and/or brake controller output line in the coach. I suspect there may be one and you just have to find it.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote