Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Trailer Brakes and Towing Lights

All,

I'm just about to get an American Tow Dolly to tow my 2004 Toyota Corolla. It comes with electric brakes, and I plan on installing a brake controller in the motorhome.

Here is my question - I'd also like to get some towing lights to put on the toad (or in the back window of it at least). If the dolly is plugged into the motorhome for braking, how to I also get the towing lights to work when it has its own plug? Are there adapters or splitters out there to go from the 7 pin on the MH to the 7 pin on the brakes and to the 4 pin for the lights?

Any help would be appreciated!

T_Van
T_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just like towing a small Travel or Utility Trailer with electric brakes, the dolly "should" have a flat 5 pin plug. The wires are left turn/brake, right turn/brake, parking lights, ground, and brake feed.

Do you really think the dolly will have a 7 Pin connector?

Pigtail connectors/adapters to join the round 7 pin to the flat 5 pin are inexpensive and available at most RV supply stores and even Wal*Mart. And, if you want to add add'l lighting, there are splitters made for this purpose.
Like this: http://www.realtruck.com/anzo-traile...ing-splitters/

Now - if your dolly has some other plug set-up, you will have to do some creative connecting to make the dolly play with your RV and make the add'l lights work. It's not hard if you just know what wire goes where.

See here for more info on trailer wiring with 4, 5, 6, and 7 wire set-ups.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Scarab,

Thanks for the reply. I just assumed that the dolly would have a 7 pin because of the electric brakes. If it's just a 4 or 5 pin connector, then the splitter you linked to would work.

In addition, I saw 7 pin to 5 AND 4 pin connectors on the same splitter. That would work perfect for two sets.

Thanks a ton for the info!!

T_Van
T_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
My dolly came with a 5 pin that did not work so I changed it to a 7 pin and pigtailed a 4 pin into it for my magnetic lights. I also installed my own brake controller that was pretty easy.

I took it to a place and they wanted $500 to hook it all up thats why I just did it myself. If you MH has seperate brake and turn lights and the dolly doesn't then you will need to put a converter in the line to make them work correctly.

Good luck
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I think I'd hook the dolly to the RV then just splice a flat 4 pin connector into the dolly's wiring. A kit like this has everything you'd need, except I'd use liquid electrical tape or water proof splices to ensure trouble free towing in the future. 12 Volt Magnetic Towing Light Kit

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, lights, towing