Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #1

Trailer brakes needed 2800 lbs?

I am buying a 36' Country Coach Inspire and will be towing a single axel trailer with a weight of about 2800 lbs.. The trailer has electric brakes but the coach doesn't have a brake controller. The coach weighs about 29000 lbs so I am wondering if I really need the brakes on the trailer? I also would be concerned with being able to properly adjust the controller to not overheat the trailer brakes since it is impossible to "feel" how the trailer brakes are working. I also would not want the trailer brakes activated by the tail lights which come on when the exhaust brake activates. Any thoughts on this matter?
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #2

Your state laws may require trailer brakes on any trailer over 2000lbs , even though the weight is low compared to the coach.
Also from a control perspective, it's always nice to be able to manually apply trailer brakes from the dash in the event of an out of control situation where puting on the coach brakes first would just make matters worse. Don't ask me how I know this.
A couple of threads in the forums about , trailer brake controllers & Exhaust brake actuated brake lights . Some high end controllers work on rate of de-celleration, not just brake lights. Others have installed a diode to isolate the controller from the exhaust brake light feed.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your state laws may require trailer brakes on any trailer over 2000lbs , even though the weight is low compared to the coach.
Problem with that is: it's NOT what your home state requires, every state has their own rules and you must comply with that when in that state. There is no reciprocity on equipment requirements like there is on drivers licensing and insurance.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #4

I agree. My main concern is my safety and how much the trailer brakes help on the big rig, when I tow the trailer with my pickup truck they make a big difference and I would not drive without them. As far as state laws go, the trailer does have brakes, there would be no way of knowing weather they are wired by looking at 7 pin connector.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

You would have to take the connector on the coach apart to look for the related wiring,there, if the 6 outer connectors have wires then your coach is pre-wired and you have to look under the dash for a ( hopefully) blue wire that is unattached to hook your controller to.
Note: The center pin of the trailer wiring connector is most often used for back-up lights on the trailer, and often not wired up.

Tags
brakes