Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer hitch height for tow dolly

Have this tow dolly from my class c for towing my wife's honda. This drop hitch is also left over. I am concerned about the angle of the dolly tung to the hitch. Do you thinks it is to steep to be safe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3401318314.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	46941  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Have this tow dolly from my class c for towing my wife's honda. This drop hitch is also left over. I am concerned about the angle of the dolly tung to the hitch. Do you thinks it is to steep to be safe?

I am looking at ordering an Acme Tow Dolly.
Their web site states:
THE COUPLER HEIGHT MUST BE BETWEEN 12 TO 16 INCHES HIGH TO THE BOTTOM OF THE COUPLER FROM THE GROUND. PURCHASE AN ADJUSTABLE BALL IF NECESSARY. ITíS IMPORTANT.

You may want to check with the manufacturer.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming the propane tank in the background is level, then it looks like the tongue of the dolly is only slightly out of level.

I have almost the exact situation on my RV/dolly set-up and have had no problems in over 10,000miles.

And, I will offer that if you do go to a longer drop hitch - you increase the chance of bottoming-out the hitch when going over driveway curbs. Plus the higher edge on the front of the carrier platform will aid in preventing a "climb-over" if something bad happened at loading or during use - like in a panic stop.

My dolly has surge brakes which require a more-or-less level braking master cylinder (mounted on the front end of the tongue). It is designed to sit at about 14" off the ground, but my RV's hitch receiver is 24" off the ground...so, to reach level, would require a 10" drop hitch. IMHO that is just too much leverage to place on the receiver, so I have a bit of an angle...it's all good.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The dolly is an "American Car Dolly" brand, made in Colorado. My ball is 19" above ground. This dolly uses something called EZ Brakes. It is an electronic brake controller that is mounted on the dolly and works via the stoplights. There is a basic initial setting and then you adjust from there if there is any locking or skidding of the wheels after initializing. It seemed to work pretty well when I used it on the class c MH. This time I will be towing my Toyota Tacoma 2wd. I used to drag the hitch occasionally before so I do think it was a little on the low side then. The only time this hitch angle would be a problem is in going over a hump of some kind where the angle would increase though I think there is quite a bit of rotation left. A much more common thing would be driving thru a dip and the extra height would actually be a good thing.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks too steep and angle to me, but pictures can be misleading too. What does the dolly manufacturer say, that's the deciding factor.
Our Demco KK-460 requires 18" to the top of the ball. I had to use a 2" drop, then use a 1" extended ball to get it perfect.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The angle is more critical on a surge brake dolly, than your set-up. However; keep in mind under a hard stop situation the rear of the coach is going to come up increasing the angle you see in the static position as in the picture. If you sense a push set your toad brake "harder" or lower the hitch ball.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You do want the tow bar to be as level as possible. From the looks of the dinghy, that tow attachment is sure low to the ground.

Ken
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You do want the tow bar to be as level as possible. From the looks of the dinghy, that tow attachment is sure low to the ground.

Ken
It's a car dolly, not a towbar. If I had not already had it, I would probably use a bar instead.