Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Question Trailer towing or flat towing

Hi guys!! Currently I have a 94 Bounder 34J gasoline and I'm towing a 16' car hauler with a 3100 car on it. I have been thinking about converting to a flat towed truck instead of the trailer and car and my thoughts are that a flat towed vehicle should be easier on the motorhome to pull behind the motorhome. The total weight being towed should be about the same..... Is my thinking correct or would it be the same as towing the trailer??
Thank you for your opinions!!!!!
randys66gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

Just my opinion but it will likely be similar in the amount of work needed to do both. The trailer likely has 4 tires but smaller. That would likely have a slightly lower rolling resistance than on a truck but im sure the motorhome would not know the difference. I would stick with whatever works best for you. Trailer or flat tow.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking it's about the same for the motorhome, but you will gain some room at the campsite if you flat tow. Also at home if you don't keep the trailer. But with the trailer it's easy to back up still connected if you have to. So- 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

You guys are awesome!!! Thank you for your opinions. Yeh, I already have the trailer and I guess I'll just stick with it. It is WAY easier when backing up. Thank you again guys!!!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #5

randys66gt,
Well, you've been given the same answers I would have given. I'm not a fan of having trailer in terms of where to put it when at camp sites/RV parks. Many places don't have the room for it. But, yes, without a doubt, backing it up is a good consideration.

In our travels, when approaching tactical decision maneuvers, i.e. gas stations, camp sites, parking lots, tighter city streets, areas of unknown endings or turn-a-rounds, and more, I really have to take a good look to see if I have what's needed in room for a turn, turn around, etc. without the capability of backing up 'cause we tow a truck.

But, once there and bedded in for the time being, not having that trailer around and only the truck, is to me anyway, way better. It's a preference thing. Your choice. And, by the way, a good move on your part would be to drag that trailer and your car, down to a local scale and get it weighed just so you'll know for sure what it weighs. Then, do the same to the truck. It could be considerably different, you never know 'till you do it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many MH owners have discussed and fretted about which is best. With a trailer the hookup seems easier, but then when at a campground where do you put the trailer? Many campgrounds will charge you extra and you may even have to rent two spaces. With a trailer you have yet another vehicle to maintain. Plus you now have the weight of the trailer, plus the weight of the vehicle you put on the trailer. Same things happen if you use a tow dolly. When going down the road the only difference would be felt on steep hills or mountain routes. Save your money, time and effort and pull 4 wheels down. less equipment to maintain, store, service. I've seen people try to load on to a trailer and drive off one side or over the front. On our last trip there was a guy who attempted to drive his car onto a dolly which wasn't secured to his motorhome hitch. Not a pretty site. he pushed the dolly right through the fiberglass rear of his MH. towing 4 wheels down only limitation is NO backing up. I have used by Toad to pull the coach back so I could get around a obstacle I got to close to. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

Fire up, Edallsails, thank you so much for the info. I have run up on too narrow of a street to turn around and some Elks Lodges where I have to park the trailer somewhere else...... I've been staying at !000 Trash Trails and using their pull threws which is long enough but yes, parking my car is a different story. I think we really have to rethink our trailer. Please have a save Holiday Season and again, thank you for your time and thoughts.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Smile Trailer vs flat tow

I have a 24 view with trailer about the same length pivots in the middle of the total length very ez to get around. Why I like the trailer is in my travels if I fine a toy on wheels I can load it and have my better half drive the car we are going to be in a bigger rig about 40 feet so I will flat tow because of the total length being to much to deal with
Longshoreman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing