Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jmcquarrie
Trailer vs flat tow vs dolly

We are brand new to the RV life and am the proud owners of a 2014 Thor Miramar 34.2.

After doing a lot of research we chose a Mini Cooper Clubman as our toad. (Once owner of a Jeep 4 door Rubicon and a 1999 Hummer H1) We mainly chose the cooper due to the weight and to our surprise as much as my wife protested the cooper it is a blast to drive and we are both happy with our choice Mama's happy and so am I

So, here is a question or two from a new by's question box:
1. we would like to add a razor to our tow (like a small golf cart or quad) so not sure how to do this, flat tow the Mini then what for the Razor?

2. Campers world wants just shy of 2K without the extra brake tool (Newby words ) and this seems pricey, can the flat tow hookup be done a littler cheaper?

3. For 2 K I can find a used enclosed hauler that would carry the car and some toys, if I opt for this route can I get into all parks with no problem that our 34.2 can get in? (This solution would really be ideal for us as I would like to carry some Basketball equipment for my son as well and allow much more storage.

OK, probably sounds like we are a bit confused and YES we are!! So I will apologize upfront for the questions and if something is soooo silly... go ahead... laugh!!!! Its ok and really is good to do every now and then

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

The use of a trailer will be the best way to transport all that gear. However, you will find that keeping the traiiler at your site may not always be possible. You may be at a CG where the site is only big enough for your MH and car. Where do you put the trailer? Some CGs may have a storage area where you could park the trailer but how do you get it there? Your proposed plan will work, but you will need a pull through to do it, and they get reserved fast. I hope this helps you decide.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Thank you, this helps but still not sure what we will do yet. Lots to learn.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great question and Congrats on the Miramar!

There is a different option, Tandem dolly

Like this: Tandem Tow Dolly
and
http://tandem-tow.com/Models.htm

Dollies are good because they often have their own brakes, are smaller and lighter than full trailers, and keep your front wheel drive car up off the ground, saving those miles added to the bottom end of the car's driveline like with flat towing.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #5

I also have a razor you will probably be over your weight capacity carrying your mini and razor plus the trailer to haul them on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404693423.472150.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	67067
Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

Tandem dolly looks nice. Problem is the RZRs are 104-118 inches depending on the model.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I also have a razor you will probably be over your weight capacity carrying your mini and razor plus the trailer to haul them on.

Attachment 67067
Nice looking Rzr. I have the 50" wide 800LE, and it rides in the back of my truck.

OP: you will be able to get a heavy enough enclosed trailer to haul your toys, just make sure the MH can handle a large trailer.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Great question and Congrats on the Miramar!

There is a different option, Tandem dolly

Like this: Tandem Tow Dolly
and
RV Tow Dolly | Haul your cars, trucks, Golf Carts, ATVs & motorcycles.

Dollies are good because they often have their own brakes, are smaller and lighter than full trailers, and keep your front wheel drive car up off the ground, saving those miles added to the bottom end of the car's driveline like with flat towing.

Best luck

This is great thank you so much.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been through this exact problem. I pull a Jeep Rubicon and like to bring our Can Am ATV. In the past, I pulled a trailer hooked to the Jeep with the ATV on it. Worked but we were about 2 feet over the maximum 65 feet for most states. Weight was a little over but not too much. I finally found the solution by hooking a Smart Trailer (swivel wheel) to the receiver hitch on the Jeep and loading the ATV on it. We are now 4 feet under the legal length and about 600 pounds lighter.

I was concerned about the hitch weight and a fellow camper has a swivel trailer so I hooked his to our Jeep Unlimited and, after loading the Can Am, the weight dropped the Jeep only 1/2 inch so all is good.

This solution won't help with your Clubman. BTW, we owned a Clubman and they are a blast to drive.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #10

Good comments, but there are always two sides to a story. In over 35 years of towing different car trailers with different motorhomes, the times I had to disconnect at a campground were less than a dozen. Of course, it really helps if you know how to back the trailer into a site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
The use of a trailer will be the best way to transport all that gear. However, you will find that keeping the traiiler at your site may not always be possible. You may be at a CG where the site is only big enough for your MH and car. Where do you put the trailer? Some CGs may have a storage area where you could park the trailer but how do you get it there? Your proposed plan will work, but you will need a pull through to do it, and they get reserved fast. I hope this helps you decide.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #11

I'm towards the end of a long trip up to Alaska and have stayed in three RV parks. I'm towing a 24 foot enclosed carrier and have had to disconnect at all three campgrounds. I'm reasonably comfortable backing the trailer into spaces so it was not a problem but it was an inconvenience, especially hooking back up in the rain.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I'm towards the end of a long trip up to Alaska and have stayed in three RV parks. I'm towing a 24 foot enclosed carrier and have had to disconnect at all three campgrounds. I'm reasonably comfortable backing the trailer into spaces so it was not a problem but it was an inconvenience, especially hooking back up in the rain.
Hooking up in the rain (or snow) is no fun, but I also didn't like it with towing 4 wheels down. I don't have to unhook very often with the trailer, so when it is raining or snowing, securing the vehicle in the trailer is a real plus. So yes I agree it is an inconvenience, but it also can be a blessing if you didn't have to unhook the trailer.

I just returned from a short trip and I did have to unhook the trailer, but it was able to sit right next to me or just in front of me across the lane.

It does help tremendously when you have a tow vehicle large enough to maneuver the trailer when you need to unhook, but when I haven't had my tow vehicle with me the RV park has always been more than willing to move my trailer on my behalf.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #13

Problem with that tandem trailer would be the tongue weight.

Tags
dolly, tow