Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by osomanytoys:
we were all set to buy a tow dolly. then i find something that says we can't dolly our awd vue. we think our vw jetta would be too low to get on a dolly, too. we really don't want to flat tow our vue because of the wear and tear on the vehicle.

but, now we are thinking we could tow dolly it by disconnecting the rear drive shaft and putting the front end on the dolly.. any comments?
cheryl

I suppose what you are proposing with the dolly and the driveshaft to rear wheels disconnected would work, but what a hassle! What year is your Saturn, and what wear and tear are you referring to specifically when flat towing it?

Dieselclacker

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
tow dolly it by disconnecting the rear drive shaft and putting the front end on the dolly
I have done both dolly & four down ...I definitely would go for the "wear and tear" of four down over the "wear and tear" of putting it on a dolly and disconnecting/reconnecting a drive shaft every time I wanted to tow a vehicle!!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Many 4WD and AWD cannot be towed on a dolly.

I would contact REMCO about your idea.

I tow 4 down and there is no wear and tear that I can notice.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The awd Vue Roadmaster baseplate is one of the easiest to install that I think that I've ever seen. My buddy has one on his '05 Vue. I just finished the baseplate install on my '05 Vue but it is a 5 speed 4 cylinder and it was a lot more work than his.

I definitely noticed the Vue back there where I didn't notice our SL-1. With the setup that we have, the only pain in the butt is pulling the IGN fuse. Otherwise, it is easy to hook up and tow. I agree with Dirk. We towed our SL-1 for 5 years and 30K miles and I didn't have any wear that I could point to that was caused by towing.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #19

I've towed our Saturn Vue V6 with front wheel drive since we bought it new in 2004.

There is no discernable wear and tear. At 46,000 (driven) miles I bought new tires. By that time the tires had been towed more than 20,000 miles. 66,000 miles on a set of tires is not bad.

I think your "wear and tear" concerns are unnecessary.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #20

it is a 2004 redline. one of the issues we have is that the wheel bearing hub assembly has gone out twice on us. the first time at just over 36,ooo miles and the second soon after that. this is one issue that saturn has had with the vue. that is one wear item we are concerned with.
cheryl
Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #21

I can understand now, given your wheel bearing issue. I had to replace the right front bearings last fall. I thought it was unusual. But, it couldn't be attributed to towing the Vue 4-wheels down.

Yet, I wouldn't want to spend the money on a dolly, perhaps a driveshaft disconnect and whatever else in addition to the additional work involved in getting the Vue on to the dolly and secured.

It takes me about 7 minutes to hook-up the towbar (mounted on the car) to the receiver hitch on the coach, connect the cables, and install and prime the Brake Buddy.

I also don't have to deal with storing and retrieving the dolly while at a campground.

But, in truth, you have to do what is comfortable to you.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cheryl, Vue redlines CANNOT be towed 4 down. I suggest that you refer to MotorHome Magazine, 2004 edition for acceptable toads.

Unfortunately, there are wear items like the wheel bearing hub that happen besides towing issues. I belong to a Saturn forum and had not seen anything about Vue's and wheel bearing issues. That does happen. Our daughter's 2001 Civic also required a wheel bearing replacement. To need two of them, however, suggests that there is also something else wrong.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #23

The Saturn Vue's with basically the Honda engine and drive train can be towed 4 down just like a Honda can. There are special procedures you must take every 8 hours of driving to be sure the drive train system is lubed. Neither can be towed with a dolly.

You might want to over inflate your tires for a better tow. I take the jeep to 45 psi.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
over inflate your tires for a better tow
Define "better tow" ...what do you believe over-inflating the toad tires does for you ??
Old 02-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by chasfm11:
Cheryl, Vue redlines CANNOT be towed 4 down. I suggest that you refer to MotorHome Magazine, 2004 edition for acceptable toads.
well, we have been searching around on the i-net and found that the blue ox does have a tow bar for the vue RED-LINE (2004-05). so, red-line or not it should be able to be towed. we have found the directions to install it, too.

the next question is if the awd can be towed (four down).

we will be heading to a seminar on towing this weekend at an rv open house. so, we will see what we learn there. thanks..
Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #26

The AWD can only be towed 4 down but there is a procedure you must do every 8 hours to keep the system lubed.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #27

i went and looked up our window sticker. yup, we keep all the paperwork from our vehicles.

the sticker says right on it that the vehicle is flat dinghy towable. so, we will be looking into flat towing it.

it also states with the redline package that trailer towing is not permitted. that's alright, we are not planning to pull a trailer.

so, now my question is "how is blue ox?" since they are ones that show how to install on a redline and have a tow bar for us. just curious if this is a good one or if there is one that may be better or easier to install.. thanks everyone.
cheryl
Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #28

If you do a search you will see that the trailer towing has to do with the unavailability of a suitable trailer hitch, not that the car can not pull a trailer. It's a Honda drivetrain, they can pull trailers just fine.