Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
I see some advantage to using a trailer. But I sure like how simple it is to flat tow. I have arrived at the camp ground feeling sick. My wife did the unhook. Never could she do it with a trailer.

2007 Monaco Camelot 40 PAQ
2007 JK 4Door Jeep
UPS 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 AM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally posted by Forest Grump:
You might want to over inflate your tires for a better tow. I take the jeep to 45 psi.
First I've seen a recommendation to over inflate the tires of the car you're towing for a better tow.

Would you explain this logic??

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
First I've seen a recommendation to over inflate the tires of the car you're towing for a better tow.
I have never heard that and IMHO it will only cause tire wear problems on the toad and reduce supplemental braking efficiency.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Likewise, I have never heard of over inflation as a help to towing. If your tires are inflated to the manufacturers recommendations and the front end of the dinghy is allgned correctly, you should not have any wear problems.

I have seen and head of some folks using a bungee cord from the steering wheel to the seat to make the the steering stay centered. Agin, if the alignment is correct, this should not be a problem.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #33
Sure, our tires are massively oversized, 33x12.50x15, requiring substantial changes to the suspension. Normal highway pressure is 30 to 34 and when offroading down from 12 to 16 or less. When towing at 35 psi the whole tire will wear but when you over inflate the tire tends to wear less and the jeep is definitely easier to tow. It pulls much easier and tracks perfectly.

I would say that about 90% of us towing a vehicle of this type overinflate and then again almost all of us have onboard air which allows us to do this. These vehicles are also heavy. Mine tracks perfectly on the 16% grades that are required to go up/down the hill.
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #34
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by osomanytoys View Post
now we are thinking we could tow dolly it by disconnecting the rear drive shaft and putting the front end on the dolly.. any comments?
Oh, Boy - that sounds convenient!
Ken & Carolee, 1994 36' Pace Arrow/Ford 7.5L, Mobil 1 full syn & Banks Pack. Towing a 1999 Saturn SL2 with Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain & Brake Buddy.
blacktie.shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #35
Towing 4 wheels down is the only way to go for generl camping where you are stopping and unhooking on a regular basis. Takes me aout 3 minutes to hook and unhook and occiasionaly gives the wife a chance to yell at me.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #36
flat tow is easer to hook and unhook and you dont have to worry a place to put your trailer. I switched to a flat tow and glad I did...you ever been to a place where you couldnt turn around and had to diconect your toad ? I have and jumped into my toad and turned on my Garman drove to a drivethrew coffie house and to the R.V. park that I was looking for to begin with.It was sure alot easer and no trailer to worry about.
07 dolphin 5342 front & rear sway & trac bar, safe T streering,08 ford excape hybird toad,roadmaster tow bar, koni fsd shocks
jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #37
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, flat towing is the simplest. But there are arguments for each style of towing.

In my case I flat tow, but would love to have a trailer. Why? My toad is heavily modified, like "Forrest Gump". LIfted, armored, 35x12.5R15 tires, etc.

I use my Jeep to offroad and still flat tow it. One of these days I'm going to be somewhere, probably far away, like Moab UT, and I going to break the Jeep. Since I flat tow I'm going to have to stay there until I can get it fixed enough to flat tow. If I had a trailer I could pull the remains on the trailer and head for home.

As someone else said, list your requirements, prioritize them, and choose a tow method.

Originally Posted by UPS 34 View Post
I see some advantage to using a trailer. But I sure like how simple it is to flat tow. I have arrived at the camp ground feeling sick. My wife did the unhook. Never could she do it with a trailer.
2002 35R Southwind, W22 8.1L Vortec UltraPower, 19.5' wheels
Toad: Wrangler, lifted and on 35" tires
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #38
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You may have leakage if you start disconnecting drive shafts.
Tim Heinzen
2013 King Aire
'12 Jeep COD MWF
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
I use a tow dolly. I am adding electric brakes to it for when we go out of the flat lands. I havent had a problem one with doing it this way and fuel econ. hasnt changed one bit. I tow an equinox 2wd with it. I can hook up to the chevy or my honda run the tow lights to the rear and im gone. My trailer is an older one and doesnt take alot of room to store. I just keep fresh grease in the bearings and no troubles. So in my opinion the tow dolly is my choice
1990 Monaco Crown Royale
snl2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #40
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I had a tow dolly for 4 years. The biggest pain was putting the car on it and finding a place for it at the campground. When I got my Vue, I got a Blue Ox tow bar and an Even Brake. I can hook the whole thing up in about 7 minutes.

As a previous poster stated, even though the key is in it, the car is bolted and locked to the coach.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #41
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need Help getting used Trailer and advice for a newbie

I am brand new RV'er. I pick up my RV sometime next week in Bartow Florida. It is a 2004 seabreeze made by National 32 feet. Vortec with W22 Chasis.

I have read about the advantages 4 down but I don't want to leave my 2006 Mercedes C230 in Florida while I begin spending most of my time traveling. It weighs about 3400 pounds. I want to take it with me until I have enough experience to decide what to do with the Mercedes and/or find the right tow vehicle. Plus I think I will save some money for now by getting a trailer vs buying another car, wiring it and cost of tow bar, brakes etc. Plus I want to get on the road as soon as I feel I have been "trained by the dealer"

Looking for advice on how to find the right trailer, size cost etc and whatever advice you have for a newbie.

My RV can tow 5000 punds but the vehicle weight cargo capacity calculations are based on 4000 pound assumptions. I have no idea what a trailer weighs. As I said the car weighs about 3400 pounds.

My first trip is to get to Bozeman Montana from Sarasota FL. The car is 179 inches long 68 wide 56 high

Thanks for your help

Sam Leonard
2004 National Seabreeze 8321LX
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #42
If it's not AWD, you probably can rent a tow dolly from U-Haul for the C230.

09 Newmar Ventana 3942 (bunkbeds for the munchkins)
08 Ford Taurus X AWD Toad
69 Road Runner Convertible 528 Hemi 4 Speed
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote