Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1

Trailertoads.com

Howdy,

A year or so ago I bought a 38 Ft wells cargo trailer with a G.W.R of 17,000 Lbs when I bought my coach I only had a tow rating of 10,000 Lbs I took it to a shop and bought a new hitch rated for 15,000 Lbs then turn around and beefed the hitch up to handle the weight of the trailer all this time I have pulling this trailer from the hitch it self well last week a friend of mine told me about a peice of equipment called a trailer toad that helps you out a lot and puts less stress and strain on the hitch so I went to the website and checked it out and I must say I was inpressed and wound up buying one...I can't be happier...

I want to say this for anyone who is pulling a trailer or thinks they are going to be over weight I would swggest you buy one of this it's a $3500 well investment and it take helps out a lot.

from my understandin and how it works your coach knows the weight is there when taking off and climbing hills but it does not put a lot of stress and strain on your hitch if anybody is inteested the website is www.trailertoad.com the gentlemen name is Jok Nicholson # 319-404-7001...

It's the best investment you will ever make and I made...
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Travelgirl, how long is that trailer again?
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Let's see.... Op indicates the MH is 41'-9", the trailer is 38' and then 4-5' for the hitch, that's a total of 84 to 85'! Sure to get you a traffic citation in most any jurisdiction and we won't even mention California...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #4

Friend has one he loves it
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #5

Have no interest in buying, but can't help wondering how easy it is to back something like that around a corner?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #6

I would have to say no way. Basically it hooks on the ball then you have a axel the back is where you hook the weigh distribution hitch to the trailer
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
ahicks, I have one of these and the thing is sweet. The unit has two position settings, forward & reverse. When its in forward, the deal articulates which allows you to turn much easier. When its in reverse, it locks the unit in the straight position so that it does not articulate when you back up, this way its the same backing up as if the unit is not attached.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not interested in the hitch, but I sure would love to get a look at the hookup. I'm with Miller on the length concerns. Surely that is a typo on length.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here are some photos of my set up that I am currently using on my trip. So far I have 887 miles under my belt with this setup, zero problems or hassles so far.

MH to Toad

Toad to Trailer
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #10

Degored, How heavy is that jeep? I would have thought you could flat tow that, unless it's over 5k.
Harlee79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jeep weighs in at 5050 lbs, and I sure could have flat towed it if I wanted to buy a new set of tires for $2300 and possibly a new set of front and rear differential gears (5.38). My Jeep just does not like a lot of pavement.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #12

Yea I figured that out when I took a closer look at your setup. Looks like fun. I have an ace same as yours and will be flat towing a explorer so I was interested in why you didn't flat tow. Explorer is 4600lbs, how does it pull your setup? Plenty of power?
Harlee79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
With normal driving power is not really a problem, running the mountain passes in Colorado slows you down quite a bit, 40mph is the slowest I have had to run up some of the steep grades. Only complaint I have is just how hot & loud it gets. I drive mostly with cruise, but when I have to put foot on gas pedal, holy smokes my foot gets so hot and the rubber on my shoes feel like its going to melt.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl View Post
Howdy,

...A year or so ago I bought a 38 Ft wells cargo trailer with a G.W.R of 17,000 Lbs when I bought my coach I only had a tow rating of 10,000 Lbs I took it to a shop and bought a new hitch rated for 15,000 Lbs then turn around and beefed the hitch up to handle the weight of the trailer ...
Beefing up the hitch has nothing to do with the MH's tow rating. So, if I get this right, you're hauling a 17k trailer with a MH with a 10k tow rating?