Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

Transmission problem 99 crv

Hello! I am a new to rving. We have been on a long trip for the last 3 weeks from georgia to the west. We bought a used 99 crv so we could tow down. All has been fine until today. We got to the Grand Canyon and now the crv won't work in reverse. It works in drive but not reverse. We have followed all the pre tow instructions every time.
We are having it towed to a place for evaluation.
Couple of questions:
1. Anyone every have anything like this happen before?
2. If the say I needs new transmission, can I flat tow it home to georgia and have it fixed there?
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having trouble with your CRV. I have not had any problems pulling my 1998 CRV front wheel drive, so cannot help there. But I would think you can still tow 4 down without reverse because you do not use reverse in setting it up for tow. Owners manual says to never go from reverse to neutral to tow, but from drive to neutral. And 65mph max. I do not drive excessively long days so I do not usually start and run thru the gears during the day when towing.

Best of luck in whatever they find about your transmission.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I always went from drive to neutral just as instructed in the owners manual. We did hit some bumpy terrain at Four Corners so maybe that could have done something.
I am hoping for the best.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

Well the transmission is shot. Not a cheap fix. We really followed all the steps to flat tow exactly as we were supposed to. Ugh!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your troubles. What exactly failed on your transmission?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
When I bought my 98 crv in 2011, the trans case was cracked and I bought a used unit from an auto salvage yard. 70K miles since, still no problems. Was told at the time that the 98 trans was unique to that year, so it was more expensive that other years of the first generation CRV"s. I have seen 99 trans for sale for around 500 bucks used. Something to consider.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #7

They are giving me more specifics tomorrow (after the weekend) but the car would not work in reverse. It worked in drive and every other gear.
We had towed it the whole trip and had no problems. Went to Four Corners and hit a lot of terrible roads and then the transmission didn't work. Don't know enough about cars to know if the rough roads could have hurt the transmission.
I know the used is one is an option and one to think about when they give more info tomorrow. Still hoping for something that will not be too expensive.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #8

Just a thought! Can I flat tow the vehicle if the transmission has been removed? I would feel better getting it fixed at home but don't want to do more damage.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
As long as you have the front half-shafts completely removed (not just disconnected) and the motor does not rely on the trans for support, you can tow it, no problem.

If the motor does use the trans for support, you may be able to find another way to hold it up.

Tags
transmission