Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #1

Traveling without a toad

Does anyone out there travel fulltime in a motorhome with just bicycles.I would like to know how you can do it while minimizing the drawbacks of not having a toad.Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.
bruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I carried two bikes ( and a toad. ) for a few years including to Alaska. I found most CG 's were not ideal to ride them ( dirt and gravel ) and the roads outside most CG's were on not quite safe to ride as well. I would not leave home without a toad.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been full time for two years. I could not imagine being without a toad.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being that you are fulltime I would think it would be a disadvantage not to have a toad along. Don't know how long you stay in one area and whether it is close to a metropolitan location where you could always rent a vehicle but that could get to be a hassle. Good luck and hope it works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #5

Not having a vehicle to go out and explore the world around you is a drawback. DW and I used a tandem bicycle to explore and run to the store without breaking camp the first year with our motorhome but this greatly limited our range. We used a motorcycle for two years after that but I wont motorcycle at night, in big cities nor after having ANY alcohol so that was too limiting. I just bought a toad late last year that I can pull four-down and love it. Being able to transport heavy stuff like firewood is a big plus as is being able to go out in the heat of day or cold of night, rain or shine. If I was FT I would go nuts not being able to explore the world around me unrestricted.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did it for a few years from 2011 when my towed died to late summer last year.

We planned all our shopping and such to coincide with park changes (Due to using membership camping I move park to park at least once every two weeks)

But I can tell you life is MUCH easier with a towed, so my Motor home adopted a 2001 Neon Puppy.. Many times the MPG city, and around 3 times the freeway MPG.. I tell folks that when I popped into Savanna for the day for my daughter's Graduation from the Master's program at Armstrong.. Took about 1.5 tanks of gas.. Had I driven the MH, it would have also taken about 1.5 tanks round trip.. The difference.

12.5 gallons fills the Car assuming you push it to the pumps out of gas.

The motor home.. 70
Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

But would you take bikes to Alaska?
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #8

Being with out a toad would be extremely limiting. Basically your entire experience is going to be limited to the campground. An example would be the Finger Lakes region in NY. Unless you are in Lance Armstrong shape your not going to be able to see much of the spectacular scenery, or visit the wineries, or the small quaint towns, or find some of the good restaurants, etc.
There are a lot of wonderfull parks where the nearest store is 10-15 miles away. Nope, I just can't imagine that it would be any fun without a toad. Certainly not my idea of seeing the country which is, for me, the whole purpose of full timing in an RV.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
If I couldn't take a toad I would soon tire of RVing.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #10

We travel about 3 to 4 months each year. The toad gets us to everything since a 40' MH will not fit in many parking lots. Additionally, the Jeep lets us go places that just simply sound fun. The only time we do not take the toad is when we head to visit our kids. We rely on them for transportation. If we are going to a specific city for a limited time and then returning home we get a car from Enterprise for a few days. The change in miles per gallon certainly can offset some of the rental costs.
Glen and Barb
2007 FR Georgetown 373 xl
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, travel