Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Tread wear on toad

I have had two vehicles develop front inside edge scalloping. The first was a Ford Ranger and now on our Ford Explorer. The problem with the Ranger stopped after I stopped towing it. The tire shop and the mechanic at the dealership both indicate that towing should not cause the problem if the vehicle is properly aligned, whic they both are. The tow bar is level. Any ideas?
irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Any ideas?
irwin, The event is described as:

Cups or Dips in the tread: WORN PARTS Cupping (also called dipping or scalloping) is most common on front tires, though rear tires can cup as well. It may be a sign that wheels are out of balance or that suspension or steering system parts are worn out. Many Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

When I see the worn parts portion of this description and the condition is ruled out, I will want to look at my towing equipment. Is there a lot of side to side movement between the tow bar's draw bar and the receiver opening. Grab the tow bar and shake it back and forth. Is there at least a 1/4" to 3/8" of play there? This might be too much and an immobilizer might help. The Blue Ox website for description; Dual Immobilizer.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen a few other reports like this and suspect that there can be conditions where towing does indeed affect the geometry of the toads front end. Slop in receiver or towbar could be a factor. So could some variance in the attachment of the base plates to the car. Lastly, the front frame horns where the basepaltes attach to the toad is not always real strong and stiff. They could distort a bit under towing loads and make the front tires act differently than they do when under power. And one brand of base plate may work a bit better than another for any given model of toad.

Since the reports of this problem do not seem to be consistent for a brand & model of toad, I would guess it is a combination of the above factors. Toad alignment may be a factor too. There is a fairly wide tolerance in alignment specs and a shop may report "in spec" when in fact the front end is somewhat skewed. It may be useful to get the alignment set "dead center", or maybe even an opposite extreme. If I were getting inner edge wear, I might ask that the toe-in be set as far "in" as the spec allows, rather than just anywhere in the allowable range.

All that said, scalloping indicates the tires is hopping a bit, so that it does not wear smoothly. Since both toads did the same thing, I'd look closely at the receiver and towbar.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
X2=Gary.
It sounds like your base and tow bar maybe off somehow causing a little lateral pull.

I've only seen this once and it was on a car that had been in a frontal crash. It seems like the only constant is the cupping and the MH but on different cars.

Good luck
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote