Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

Trike motorcycle as toad

Is there anyone using a trike motorcycle as there toad
Chappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
I think there are. Do a search in the google window on the tool bar and leave it set to IRV2. Pretty sure I've seen threads on it before. That new Polaris looks like it would be a lot of FUN!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I have a VW trike and sometimes tow it. I have a bar that goes from the RV trailer hitch to the frame of the trike. The front wheel rests on that bar. Tows like it is a trailer. I was told that with a trike you can have a problem using one of those front wheel holders they sell that fits in the hitch such as this one http://www.cycle-tow.com/motorcycle-tow-bar/. The trike with two rear wheels can not bend & lean like the motorcycle.

I have pretty much given up on the trike as a tow vehicle. Very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. One early July weekend a few years ago we rode to Pikes Peak - rain & snow in July - pertnear froze. Spouse doesn't think it's all that much fun anymore.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #4

I've seen a trike on a trailer. When the guy got parked in his site he used the trike to tow his trailer to the storage area.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
While not a trike I tow a Honda Shadow behind our MH with a set-up from "billybob1.com". the front wheel mounts on this unit and the rear wheel sets on the ground and you just tow it. In their ad they show a Trike being towed on their unit. It cost $350 last year when I bought mine.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #6

There is a hydraulic lift available for your trike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappi View Post
You can use a Hydralift (Trike Lift - Hydralift-USA) for your trike. It's a hydraulic lift you can install. Not a cheap solution, I think they are about $ 5k but will definitely save a lot of wear and tear on your trike.
Peter
peterwurmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappi View Post
Chappi,
Well Sir, depending on what kind of coach you have, gas or diesel, how long it is, what engine etc. You see, that can make a pretty serious difference in how you might think of toating a "Trike" along. We just returned from a 4 thousand mile trip which, entailed a huge loop from Lake Havasu City AZ all the to Forest City Iowa and, then through Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah and, back to AZ.

All along that route, we saw many forms of how folks toted motorcycles and trikes. Some, on the "affluent" side, had what's called "Stacker" trailers that were totally enclosed and, could haul their trikes and bikes, on the upper level and, then they had their Corvettes, Mercedes, Cadillacs, and more, on the bottom level. Needless to say, they were being towed by Newells and Prevost units. Just a few bucks, to say the least.

Then, there was the boys that had their trikes loaded into the back of pickup. There's several ways to accomplish that. Wooden ramps, (not good at all), aluminum ramps, better but not great, then there's the electric lifts, Rampage is one and there's quite a few more. They simply "lift" the bike/trike into the back of the truck and all you do is, lock it down and, you're set to go. But, that method of course, demands the use of a pickup as a toad.

Then, again, based on your coach, it's make, model, length, design (as in Gas or Diesel), you can utilize a lift/carrier on the back. One that has been mentioned is the "Hydralift". I used one on our present rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT. It is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. It's also the most expensive. It's about $4,500.00 new and, usually will run about, $1,500-$2,000 for the install, depending on complications etc.

There's other type lift/carriers but, I'm not fond of how they work and, the amount of moving (and potential breakage) parts. Again, it's a preference thing.

But, to answer your question, yep, there's a ton of folks toting a long a trike, in many ways. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #8

A hydrolift would be too heavy for your Thor ACE 27.1.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tow a Ural sidecar rig on a Kendon 2 rail trailer...
Old 08-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #10

We tow a Goldwing trike in an enclosed trailer. This works just fine for us. Much cheaper to buy an enclosed trailer.
Good luck in your decision.
HAGD,
Alex
Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtrike View Post
We tow a Goldwing trike in an enclosed trailer. This works just fine for us. Much cheaper to buy an enclosed trailer.
Good luck in your decision.
HAGD,
Alex
Yep, an enclosed trailer is ultra nice for keeping the bike secure and of course, REAL CLEAN when driving down the road. But, unless you're equipped with a Class A license and, driving trough states that allow it, one can't tow a toad, along with the enclosed trailer. That's why we chose the truck/rampage method. It works for us. It all depends on what kind of preference one has.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Just talked to a triker friend of mine and he tells me that using the hitch type tire lift they use for motorcycles to tow a bike can cause one of the rear wheels of the trike to come off the ground when making a sharpe turn. Motorcycles with the rear wheel on the ground leans but the trike with the wide rear wheels cannot lean and puts a lot of strain on the front end of the trike.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad