Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Attachment 111852
Looks obvious to me. I'd like to hear the manufacturer of this tow bar say this is ok.
To me this is " just wrong " and your talking about hauling a Suzuki instead of a golf cart.
Why stress a component to more than it was designed for?
Check with the tow bar company. If they say it's ok then I stand corrected and there will be no more debate.

Dave
I notice two things from the picture, the car and the tow bar are not level, that's a no,no. Second this coach has way too much overhang behind the drive axle. So far , I have not got an answer back from Roadmasrer other than the tow bar specs in the Manuel, 6,000 lbs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #128

As I mentioned in my first post on this subject many states require a CDL with appropriate certifications for towing more than one trailer/vehicle. In Wisconsin you can tow a second vehicle/trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer with proper certifications on a regular drivers license.

Towing a multiple trailer combination behind a motorhome is something so unusual that a State Patrol car or weigh station rarely lets one pass by without inspecting the setup and checking for license certifications. As others have mentioned be sure the combination and licensing requirements are met in all states you intend to pass through.

In the last few years I've seen more than one combination setup either off to the side of the interstate with a patrol car behind them, or in a weigh station parked off to the side being inspected. Even if you're legal wherever you intend to travel it might be more hassle than it's worth. If you have to stop every few hundred miles for inspection and verification it could take a long time to get to your destination and back home.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
As I mentioned in my first post on this subject many states require a CDL with appropriate certifications for towing more than one trailer/vehicle. In Wisconsin you can tow a second vehicle/trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer with proper certifications on a regular drivers license.

Towing a multiple trailer combination behind a motorhome is something so unusual that a State Patrol car or weigh station rarely lets one pass by without inspecting the setup and checking for license certifications. As others have mentioned be sure the combination and licensing requirements are met in all states you intend to pass through.

In the last few years I've seen more than one combination setup either off to the side of the interstate with a patrol car behind them, or in a weigh station parked off to the side being inspected. Even if you're legal wherever you intend to travel it might be more hassle than it's worth. If you have to stop every few hundred miles for inspection and verification it could take a long time to get to your destination and back home.
Just like to add on a recent trip through Nebraska I observed signage at the weigh scales/inspection stations we passed that read "All trucks and pickups towing trailers must report".

This is either an anomaly or a sign of things to come.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Just like to add on a recent trip through Nebraska I observed signage at the weigh scales/inspection stations we passed that read "All trucks and pickups towing trailers must report".

This is either an anomaly or a sign of things to come.
Nothing new , Nebraska has had that rule / sign for as long as I remember. The intent is to include the " hot shots" hauling cargo.....Would not apply to me, Motor Coach is NOT a pick up truck. Many states address pick ups with fifth wheels pulling an ATV or UTV on a trailer behind.....yet fail to address a motor coach. MN. Is one of those , am trying to sort out the intent of the statute. Wi. I think I will ignore , if for no other reason all the traffic and road construction.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Been There, Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am planing on flat tow my Jeep Wrangler behind my 45 ft. Country Coach, then attach 14' flat bed with Samurai on board to the hitch on the Jeep. I know on the Interstate, no overall leith laws and Mi to Az. Shows they all allow triples. The question is how does the trailer do with the 2200 lb Sammy on top ? I am guessing there could be some sway, but not sure using the coach to Jeep tow bar. Jeep is about 4,000 , trailer and Samurai about 3200 lbs. ( my trailer is all alum Featherlite ) I could put wt. dist. Bars on Jeep, but not sure I need it. Any thoughts out there ?
A good friend who's not part of this group does just that, a Cherokee behind his Essex. A small trailer on the Cherokee.

He had no problems for years; then, a month ago, he got stopped. He knew there was a problem when the cop emerged from his cruiser carrying a tape measure.

He was busted for Combination Length and for having a Class C license.

Plus, due to the finer legal aspects, he was cited as a commercial vehicle.

In all, it was very expensive.

Here's the rub: triple towing is an eye magnet for police. Technically, my 20' car hauler is not legal behind a 45' rig; but, I don't look unusual rolling down the road. You see similar rigs every day that are longer than the maximum combo length, ie 45' footers pulling longer trailers. By owners' accounts, the police ignore them. That's not the case, when triple-towing.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #132

I towed doubles for several years and was stopped once in Ca. I had more trouble with the supposed knowitalls when i stopped for fuel than i did with LEO.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
A good friend who's not part of this group does just that, a Cherokee behind his Essex. A small trailer on the Cherokee.

He had no problems for years; then, a month ago, he got stopped. He knew there was a problem when the cop emerged from his cruiser carrying a tape measure.

Here's the rub: triple towing is an eye magnet for police. Technically, my 20' car hauler is not legal behind a 45' rig; but, I don't look unusual rolling down the road. You see similar rigs every day that are longer than the maximum combo length, ie 45' footers pulling longer trailers. By owners' accounts, the police ignore them. That's not the case, when triple-towing.
Sounds like your friend is still doing it anyway ? In my case it's a one shot trip, hopefully. I agree, no point in playing out your luck till you get busted...by the way, what state was He stopped ?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post

Your 20' Trailer behind your 45' Coach (65') is Legal for your combination, 75' for combination of "Doubles"....
Old 11-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Your 20' Trailer behind your 45' Coach (65') is Legal for your combination, 75' for combination of "Doubles"....

It depends on what state he is in ., unless the state or states traveling thru do not exempt Rec combos....It lest thats the way I see it today ?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I think the 20' length of the trailer is the body only. We are not including the length of the hitch and the tongue. Add another foot for the hitch and 5' for the tongue. Puts him at 71'.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I think the 20' length of the trailer is the body only. We are not including the length of the hitch and the tongue. Add another foot for the hitch and 5' for the tongue. Puts him at 71'.
Then the length of the Trailer is 26' NOT 20' ....
Old 11-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It depends on what state he is in ., unless the state or states traveling thru do not exempt Rec combos....It lest thats the way I see it today ?
Let us know what you find on this.....
Old 11-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Then the length of the Trailer is 26' NOT 20' ....
True but many folks quote their trailer length as per the manufacturers description. Nominally the hitch length is considered 3' but now days there are several hitch lengths as options.

When we were looking for trailers the manufacturers we looked at (Featherlite, Wells Cargo, Haul Mark, InTech) quoted the length as the body length.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #140

Quote:
Let us know what you find on this.....
My problems have become more than I now wish to surmount. In order to satisfy my own safety standards, I need to engineer a new tow bar for the additional weight. Roadmaster wants to see me upgrade to a 10,000 lb Coach mounted unit., which will not work with my Jeep custom brackets. This extra 1,000 dollar, plus the unknowns because of the 80 ft overall that seems ilegiall in all states, I now have decided not to go forward . Just too many unknowns for a one time tow that I most likely will not need to do again. ...I am still wanting to sell my Samauri with trailer (mod edit). I still plan on hauling it to AZ. If it does not sell in the next 10 days...that's about as long as I want to live on borrowed time, as winter is starting to enter the picture, I need to get moving , sooner than later........time has run out.
It's been fun and informative considering all the possibilities , so many ideas and so many challenges , thanks everyone for your contribution ......
E

Tags
tow, towing