Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of course you can do it? Should be a piece of cake with that big rig! I figure if the 1/2 ton pickup truck towing a 1/2 ton pickup truck on a dolly, towing a dual axle U-haul trailer on I-65 in AL last week can do it so can you. Of course he was only going 50 mph, because it was pouring out with no headlights on! I'm glad he was heading North, while I was going South!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not that i would do it ...
but if I did, I would put the flat trailer at the bus, then flat tow the jeep behind the trailer.
and you are going to be long
brakes and more brakes

got to send in a picture all set up.
i tow a 20 foot flat bed (brakes on both axles) with my truck(2013 f150 crew cab 4x4).
the trailer has a built in provision to tow a trailer behind it
my hitch on the trailer is rated at 12,500 lbs, with 10,400lb combined axle rating
all loaded up the trailer with truck is right at 8400lbs, which leaves 4100 left over.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #17

I have a CDL with doubles and triples. There are a lot of states with time frames that allow for doubles and triples, others that do not allow them. I would never do any of these with any recreational vehicle. My question would be as a CDL is not required to drive a 40K RV and trailer, would you need an endorsement on a normal driver license? In NY you are supposed to have an endorsement on a regular driver license for a big rig.
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Old 11-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

Read this.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our CC has a GVWR of 57,000#'s and GCVWR of 72,000#'s but I wouldn't try what the OP wants to do.
OK , then give me a sound reason why not ?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
OK , then give me a sound reason why not ?
If you have ever had just a single trailer start a serious sway. you would probably not be considering this option. Seriously, it is very scary when the tail wags the dog. At least with a single trailer that has electric brakes or a toad that has a remote actuator, you can apply the brakes on only the towed unit to reduce sway. This is the proper way to control sway. I can see no way that you could actuate the brakes properly with two towed units.

If this in not going to be a frequently used set-up, you might want to consider having one of the vehicles delivered to your destination by a transporter.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 11-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
not that i would do it ...
but if I did, I would put the flat trailer at the bus, then flat tow the jeep behind the trailer.
and you are going to be long
brakes and more brakes

got to send in a picture all set up.
i tow a 20 foot flat bed (brakes on both axles) with my truck(2013 f150 crew cab 4x4).
the trailer has a built in provision to tow a trailer behind it
my hitch on the trailer is rated at 12,500 lbs, with 10,400lb combined axle rating
all loaded up the trailer with truck is right at 8400lbs, which leaves 4100 left over.
OK then , why? Seems to me the most secure connection is the rather ridged tow bar set up on the Jeep. Second , the 4 door Jeep tows this small light wt trailer very well on its own. Third, when I had the trailer built I over rated it for such a short unit ( 14 ft. ) with 16" ten ply tires, heavier axles, so it's very stable in the first place.It was built solely for hauling the Samauri.....The other thought is any design add on to the Featherlite to provide a hitch would not be standard and would require a lot of engineering, especially working with aluminum. The way I see it , the lightest vehicle should always be in the rear. That's common science in the transport world. ( I have been in Trucking over 50 years ) . I could see maybe the ultimate set up would be a dolly attached to the Jeep hitch, then a custom fifth wheel atop the dolly with a 3" ball fitted to the trailer hook up. Problem is, in trucking, it just adds more flex points and is used for extra weight carrying, which I do not need.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
If this is a one time move , another option would be to get the jeep moved by a commercial carrier and tow the trailer and other vehicle yourself. Might save a lot of headaches.

Dave
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
If you have ever had just a single trailer start a serious sway. you would probably not be considering this option. Seriously, it is very scary when the tail wags the dog. At least with a single trailer that has electric brakes or a toad that has a remote actuator, you can apply the brakes on only the towed unit to reduce sway. This is the proper way to control sway. I can see no way that you could actuate the brakes properly with two towed units.

If this in not going to be a frequently used set-up, you might want to consider having one of the vehicles delivered to your destination by a transporter.
I understand what you say , but , the sway issue " tail waging the dog " should not occurred in the first place. It's a weight issue. Poor distribution , like tail heavy trailer along with a poor tow vehicle that's too small for the job.Think about it, when you pull a trailer with a large MH there never is any need for any sway control equip, and that mostly because of the weight and long WB of the MH. This I know with over 20 years doing this. Speed usually is the final factor when it comes to a wildly weaving trailer. When I see this I get out of there as soon as possible. !
Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #24

Since you've already convinced yourself that you're going to do this, regardless of what anyone else says, I see no further point in arguing. I've already suggested the easiest way to do what you need to do, but you have another plan.

Good Luck, and I hope it works for you! Mainly, I hope you don't kill anyone in the process.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Agree with SilverBob.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Since you've already convinced yourself that you're going to do this, regardless of what anyone else says, I see no further point in arguing. I've already suggested the easiest way to do what you need to do, but you have another plan.

Good Luck, and I hope it works for you! Mainly, I hope you don't kill anyone in the process.
There was no need to be so defensive. I thought these forms were to help people , not insult them ! I already said I was most likely NOT going to do this. My further comments are to question the whys and why nots ! Whats wrong with that.? First My hope when I first posted was to hear if anyone else has done this exact set up, and the positives and negs. Maybe you need to go back and read what I said on several posts ? This is not my first radio when It comes to towing, and yes , I drove big trucks hauling very special overweight,over size, cargo, even have designed my own trailers. We haul millions of dollars in specialty machinery every day.
Its too bad some on this thread are so quick to comment without giving technical/experience in this area. " I hope you don't kill someone in the process" verges on insulting, please think over a little more what I have said.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exclamation Thread warning

This thread is dancing on the edge of being closed due to personal comments being posted.

Please keep posts on-topic and general to the Forum population...this is not a Private Message thread.

Thanks for contributing,
iRV2 Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am planing on flat tow my Jeep Wrangler behind my 45 ft. Country Coach, then attach 14' flat bed with Samurai on board to the hitch on the Jeep. I know on the Interstate, no overall leith laws and Mi to Az. Shows they all allow triples. The question is how does the trailer do with the 2200 lb Sammy on top ? I am guessing there could be some sway, but not sure using the coach to Jeep tow bar. Jeep is about 4,000 , trailer and Samurai about 3200 lbs. ( my trailer is all alum Featherlite ) I could put wt. dist. Bars on Jeep, but not sure I need it. Any thoughts out there ?
While travel on the interstate may be OK you could have issues as soon as you were beyond the "fuel zone" when state rules would apply.

As previously noted, most triple towing included the caveat the first connection must be a 5 wheel.

Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing