Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I sense you had made up your mind before you started this thread. You also seem to be quite knowledgeable on all of the laws and the physics of the task, and how to make it work. Please report back how it all goes.
Happy trails.
Not really , I started out looking for others who are or have done it. The wife has already said no , she will drive the Jeep, so..........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 02:40 AM   #58

I tow either our Ford Flex, of Jetta with a single axle trailer with a golf cart or Gator on it lots of trips,with our 40' Traditions,works FINE for Many Miles ,the Naysayers are always out there waiting for the Government to protect them from everything or scared of their own shadow.
My concern would be the total weight of your trailer and samurai vs the Jeep this is where the tail wagging the dog could be Bad. And brakes on your trailer is a must.
JMO Flame Away........

Old 11-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
I tow either our Ford Flex, of Jetta with a single axle trailer with a golf cart or Gator on it lots of trips,with our 40' Traditions,works FINE for Many Miles ,the Naysayers are always out there waiting for the Government to protect them from everything or scared of their own shadow.
My concern would be the total weight of your trailer and samurai vs the Jeep this is where the tail wagging the dog could be Bad. And brakes on your trailer is a must.
JMO Flame Away........
Sorry - no flames.

Question is what does Fine mean. I recall a joke regarding what fine meant when said by a woman in response to some things men did.

My concern having been part of the government and investigating fatal accidents on the road network I managed is the lower limit that some folks will go to and rationalize.

Saying it handles fine, weight is fine, speed is fine does not bring back the deceased. What may be common sense for you is only the tip of the iceberg for the next fellow.

Standards may not be correct but they provide a minimum line we should not cross. We use similar standards every day when we pull up to the pumps and fill up. Gasoline and diesel must meet minimum standards. Same with the oil you put in your engines. I am sure the refining companies have figured out how to meet the government standards but without them it would be a crap shoot.

Government standards seem to work. You cant just cherry pick the ones you like and ignore the ones you dont. Standards were developed because some damn fool did something stupid and as a result people were hurt. Just need more enforcement to protect us from the folks that think it does not apply to them.

As a side note I observed when traveling through Nebraska the weigh scales approaches had signs saying "All trucks and pickups with trailers must report". Sign of things to come??
Old 11-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am planing on flat tow my Jeep Wrangler behind my 45 ft. Country Coach, then attach 14' flat bed with Samurai on board to the hitch on the Jeep. I know on the Interstate, no overall leith laws and Mi to Az. Shows they all allow triples. The question is how does the trailer do with the 2200 lb Sammy on top ? I am guessing there could be some sway, but not sure using the coach to Jeep tow bar. Jeep is about 4,000 , trailer and Samurai about 3200 lbs. ( my trailer is all alum Featherlite ) I could put wt. dist. Bars on Jeep, but not sure I need it. Any thoughts out there ?
Make sure you check what types of hitches are required for towing more than one vehicle/trailer. In most states double towing is allowed only if the first trailer is attached to the tow vehicle with a 5th wheel hitch. The most common combination is a truck pulling a 5th wheel trailer with a boat behind the trailer. I don't believe triple towing (combination of 3 trailers/vehicles) is allowed in any state without a CDL and appropriate certifications.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #61

Fine Means My Wife and I have traveled Many miles without issues . No swaying or safety issues and we have our toys when we get there. FYI before the motor home in March we double towed our Fifth wheel and the same trailer and toys for years with no issues ,some people may not be able to judge the rear trailer as there is No Backing up but like driving a semi or other equipment only do what you are comfortable doing.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #62

As i said i pulled two bumper pulls for years. Even got stuck behind an SUV towing a tent trlr that above 50mph swayed to beat h-ll. i never had sway, never had an accident and could even back them up a certain amount. Of my experiance above who was unsafe ?
Old 11-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
JMO Flame Away........
Info, FYI. Samurai weights in at 2200 lbs. 14'Featherlite comes in at 1200lbs.Jeep 4 door 4500 lbs.....so , approx, the Jeep is 1,000 lbs heavier.than the trailer. The brake problem will have to be solved by installing a braking remote on the Jeep, which will automatically give trailer brakes. Question is , which one to buy, there are many different ones.My coach has air connect at rear and some kind of switch and light on dash ? Anyone know about all this hook up ?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #64

Quote:
Currently there are no overall length rules on Interstates. , that's Federal rules that apply in all states.
Actually that is for commercial vehicles only and that is restricted to one tractor and one trailer.

For most of the states, the RV length limit is 65'. Some are longer like Michigan at 75'. In some states, it is only 55' except on the Interstates (Maryland).

Yes, a 45' motorhome with a 30' trailer is over-length.

Length rules are determined by who has the pavement (state) not by your licensing state.

Triple towing is virtually limited to a fifth-wheel rig with a trailer, Usually a boat or similar small recreational vehicle trailer.

Are length laws rigidly enforced, no. But they are once in a while.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Old 11-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #65

You Guys might want to do your HOMEWORK when referring to "Triple Tow"...Towing a 5th wheel with a pull trailer behind it is NOT TRIPLE TOWING it's referred to as "DOUBLES" Legal in all states with the correct license.....
TRIPLES....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fedex.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	111611  
Old 11-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
You Guys might want to do your HOMEWORK when referring to "Triple Tow"...Towing a 5th wheel with a pull trailer behind it is NOT TRIPLE TOWING it's referred to as "DOUBLES" Legal in all states with the correct license.....
TRIPLES....
Yes , triples are not common everywhere. It all started as an experiment in some western states....I am NOT up on current regs., been retired too long !
Old 11-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #67
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
TRIPLES....
The term "Triple Tow" is slang (counts the towing vehicle)...but is used interchangeably with the more correct term "Pulling Doubles".
Like discussed here: http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php
or in many-many threads on iRV2.

That FedEx rig is a "Road Train" or "Turnpike Train"
Here's some details....
"In the United States, trucks on public roads are limited to two trailers (two 28 ft or 8.5 m) and a dolly to connect. The limit is 63 ft or 19 m end to end). Some states allow three trailers, although triples are usually restricted to less populous states such as Idaho, Oregon, and Montana, plus the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana East-West Toll Road. Triples are used for long-distance less-than-truckload freight hauling (in which case the trailers are shorter than a typical single-unit trailer) or resource hauling in the interior west (such as ore or aggregate). Triples are sometimes marked with "LONG LOAD" banners both front and rear. "Turnpike doubles"—tractors towing two full-length trailers—are allowed on the New York Thruway and Massachusetts Turnpike (Interstate 90), Florida's Turnpike, Kansas Turnpike (Kansas City - Wichita route) as well as the Ohio and Indiana toll roads. The term "road train" is not commonly used in the United States; "turnpike train" has been used, generally in a pejorative sense."

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Actually that is for commercial vehicles only and that is restricted to one tractor and one trailer.

For most of the states, the RV length limit is 65'. Some are longer like Michigan at 75'. In some states, it is only 55' except on the Interstates (Maryland).

Yes, a 45' motorhome with a 30' trailer is over-length.

Length rules are determined by who has the pavement (state) not by your licensing state.

Triple towing is virtually limited to a fifth-wheel rig with a trailer, Usually a boat or similar small recreational vehicle trailer.

Are length laws rigidly enforced, no. But they are once in a while.
Yup , it IS all about who "owns" the Highway....Federal regs. take precedent over state rules. Granting the loose regs on Interstates.. No doubt it would not be legal to be pulling doubles and or triples when more than a few miles off Interstate. . The evidence abounds when you see dolly axles sitting in a yard close to an exit on the Interstate......I still beg to differ with your statement about Interstate travel with a 45' Coach pulling a 25-30 ft trailer, there are thousands out there doing just that ! If you have a reference let us know where it came from please.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You make me jellious with that 650 Cummins. Are they still painted red ? I have heard of some putting out 750 or more...Trans must be weak point., or , maybe you don't even need a Trans.....
Yes, still red.
The Allison 4000 is rated for 650 hp and 2000 ft lbs so they detuned the engine to 650/1950.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #70

This is what they have stacker trailers for,put the Sami on top,Jeep on bottom end of problem.

Tags
tow, towing