Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have friends who were ticketed on I 10 in Texas about 3 years ago for being over length, RV plus trailer. Maybe they should have fought it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes, still red.
The Allison 4000 is rated for 650 hp and 2000 ft lbs so they detuned the engine to 650/1950.
I think Cummins cut back Hp to 600 when the engine was updated from what it was first called " Siginature" Drivers used to say there was seldom any need to downshift when going uphill.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmun View Post
This is what they have stacker trailers for,put the Sami on top,Jeep on bottom end of problem.
You mean the matching coach trailers with elevator? Featherlite makes one, very expensive ....would be great if I could find an old one to match my Concept. New , they can cost more than many Motorhomes.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have friends who were ticketed on I 10 in Texas about 3 years ago for being over length, RV plus trailer. Maybe they should have fought it?
Tell us more...where,? What Highway ? Interstate, or state road. How long were they ? ......There is little doubt that trailer builders like Featherlite would build them if they were illigel........
Old 11-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #75

Quote:
I still beg to differ with your statement about Interstate travel with a 45' Coach pulling a 25-30 ft trailer, there are thousands out there doing just that ! If you have a reference let us know where it came from please.
I don't have them listed as a accessible page but I looked up the state codes for the 50 states and DC and that is where I found the state length restrictions.

The Federal Codes that override state limits are covered in the National Network act passed in 1995 that gave uniformity of commercial vehicles across the United States. This act also gave us the CDL license.

The Federal rules are guidelines for the states for non-commercial vehicles. This gives us 51 different set of rules.

Just because you see thousands of over-length rigs does not make it legal.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #76

Quote:
Tell us more...where,? What Highway ? Interstate, or state road. How long were they ? ......There is little doubt that trailer builders like Featherlite would build them if they were illigel........
Featherlite doesn't care if you are legal. You could be a commercial rig and that doesn't have a length limit and would be legal.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #77

Fed says recreational vehicle is not a CMV and length limits dont apply. States do have length limits and apparently fed has no say in them.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #78

Federal Size Regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles - FHWA
Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Fed says recreational vehicle is not a CMV and length limits dont apply. States do have length limits and apparently fed has no say in them.
Yes, the Feds have no length limits on non-commercial vehicles. That is left to the states.

The states have a say and do.

Some states, like Maryland, ease their restrictions on National Network roads. For example in Maryland, max RV rig length is 55' and max width is 8' on Maryland state roads. On the National Network, RV rigs can be 65' long and 8'6" wide.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #80

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes, still red.
The Allison 4000 is rated for 650 hp and 2000 ft lbs so they detuned the engine to 650/1950.
Should also add that the engine torque output is limited in 1st and 2nd so as not to overstress the trans.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #81

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Yes, the Feds have no length limits on non-commercial vehicles. That is left to the states.

Some states, like Maryland, ease their restrictions on National Network roads. For example in Maryland, max RV rig length is 55' and max width is 8' on Maryland state roads. On the National Network, RV rigs can be 65' long and 8'6" wide.
Width limits are for the body itself and not the mirrors or awnings.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #82

Quote:
Width limits are for the body itself and not the mirrors or awnings.
Width does not include safety equipment in general. In addition to mirrors and awnings, it also includes hub caps, lug nut covers, steps, extended marker lights and turn signals.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post

This summary does not address vehicles that are RV , in specific. Somewhere there are rules in place , dictated by the Federal Government , that address the issues, and not just the States " Grandfathered" laws governing size and wt. by all vehicles using Interstate Highways. There are so many areas in question. Just take width for example , which was set at 8 foot wide, still on the books in many states., yet every vehicle built today commercial and Rec. is 8'6" wide as prescribed by Federal Regs. no matter Commercial or not.Height is not ruled on by Federal regs. anywhere., its left up to the states, some places its 13'6" others 14' and more , all without a permit. Seems there is no distinction between what the vehicle is used for., same apply s for how long a rig can be. CMV , no overall L on Interstate., but there are combo types that are left to the states, and this is where big coaches come in , those with trailers,,,,none , and I mean none can meet any state regulation .....I do not buy the statement that " its up to the states" until I can see on paper specific laws that address interstate commerce and the difference between CMV and RVs.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post

It is not left to the States> Federal limits do apply on combo units, they set a minim of 48' for trailer., with no overall based on the combo of single tractor pulling one trailer., thats where the uniformity comes in as intended by Federal statute. there are more examples, many , but I still say the size issue on Federal highways has been interpreted to include vehicles used as RV in nature. .

Tags
tow, towing