Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #113
Senior Member
 
DMTTRANSPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post











here you go.. step up and add another to the back




.
This is a "TRAIN"
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #114
Senior Member
 
darstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Marquette, Mi.on the shore of Superior
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
This is a "TRAIN"

Ya , I can only wonder what kinda gearing is in that tractor? HP ? torque ?, may not matter no clutch could handle it anyway...has to be automatic trans....or electric servos.

Henderson, NV. , I see . We just signed up for Boulder City for January, whats it like ?
__________________

__________________
darstar is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
DMTTRANSPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Ya , I can only wonder what kinda gearing is in that tractor? HP ? torque ?, may not matter no clutch could handle it anyway...has to be automatic trans....or electric servos.

Henderson, NV. , I see . We just signed up for Boulder City for January, whats it like ?
Normally nice here, we usually get our rain in oct, july & aug BC is a nice quite town
__________________
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #116
Senior Member
 
darstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Marquette, Mi.on the shore of Superior
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Normally nice here, we usually get our rain in oct, july & aug BC is a nice quite town
Thanks , never fear, hopefully My Samurai including trailer will sell in Tucson .LOL ..We leave in 2 weeks. ( 4" white here and still coming down ! )
__________________
darstar is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #117
Senior Member
 
DMTTRANSPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thanks , never fear, hopefully My Samurai including trailer will sell in Tucson .LOL ..We leave in 2 weeks. ( 4" white here and still coming down ! )
If it doesn't sell, tow it out with a FS sign on it.it will sell
__________________
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Perfectly safe to tow a 5th wheel trailer with a pull trailer behind it, if you don't think so, don't do it, if you have never done this then your negative comment is not valid....simple!!.....worry, worry, worry.....
I think the OP is planning on towing a trailer behind a jeep. No mention of a 5er.

Generally speaking a rule is determined by someone doing something stupid and then a public outcry that demands that someone take care of it so the stupid people do not hurt themselves.

The rule about a trailer behind a 5er makes sense. The pins on all 5er are the same size and the pin locking mechanism is pretty foolproof and dependable.

On the other hand there are a bunch of ball hitches available. Anyone with a welder can fabricate a hitch without any testing. There are numerous sizes of ball hitches.

To allow doubles using ball hitches could entail a series of complicated restrictions and regulations regarding the setup. Just guessing here but you have to be specific enough so any rule can be enforced. Just asking for folks to use common sense would be disastrous. As an example all you have to do is get on a thread where folks debate the specifications of TV. Many will tell you that TV specs are just guidelines and you can ignore them because of any number of anecdotal reasons.

It seems to me many of these debates get away from the general reason rules are created. It is for the overall good of the community. I am sorry if many think rules are an imposition on their personal freedom. We have the same freedom if we both follow the rules.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
BillJinOR's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Your rational is flawed. .....Have you ever passed alongside a FedX tractor with three trailers , a little scary. And what if, in your words, " When things go bad" happens. You know they call the two and three trailer rigs " wiggle wagons for a reason ". Ever passed a rig on the Toll rd, pulling two 48' trailers ? Takes a while to pass , so , you start thinking, what if ! I know drivers who run these multi flex set ups, they will admit, in windy conditions, snow covered roads , " once you loose it , it's all over". So , should these set up be outlawed ? It's all about moving freight, at a lower cost per unit, is that worth it ?. Ever got the data on how many failures FedX and UPS have a year ? They will admit, it's not as safe as a single rig, but , considering the miles traveled, they think it's worth it. This is the reason we have laws in transportation. I know , ran my own Trucking co for over 40 years. We hauled the stuf others refused, long, wide, high, heavy, every load was a chalange, and, there always was a risk connected to what we were asked to do....my drivers knew it , and I only hired experienced drivers, no " driving school grads" ! Moving anything down the road is a crap shoot, you know that, yet , you seem to think what I propose is fool Hardy. No , I would not take risks I see too risky. , First I plan what I am thinking about doing, it's not just a jump in and hope for the best.. Over all the years I have seen some scary rigs going down the road, weaving across the white line because of wind and poor set up, like not being able to go faster than 40 or they loose it. It's a long list, we all have seen this. I grew up in a world ( state of Iowa ) where the speed limit was " reasonable and proper" , looking back, maybe not such a bad idea. If you want to know what and why I propose or attempt pulling a 4500 lb Long WB Jeep and a 3400 lb trailer behind , I will tell you. Somehow I think you may not be interested in the actual design and why I want to do.it this way.
Ill take the comment :-)

My tractor and three trailers, all have Air brakes
My trailers by law must be in balance ,heaviest in the front, lightest in the back
My trailers all have the axle in the very back .. stabilizes the tailswing Wiggle
They are all 5th wheel pins
All the Equipment is set up to do the job and I have many more problems than just a single or doubles would cause ,but I get paid $$$$ by the hour and a few cents more for the triples $ (and I don't look back to keep my sanity LOL! )
The above is for anyone else reading this , Im sure you already know these things
As I said before
I have many years of experience ,just as you ,and wouldn't touch doing what you want to do .. Not on my dime :-) HOWEVER
you have already made up your mind , Your a professional and are just playing with the posters here for ?? I guess something to ponder.
I wish you luck, be safe

PS .. and yes they are a good candidate to be outlawed ..not speaking for the companies $$$$$ !! but for many good reasons .. More jobs for more people for one additional reason
__________________
BillJinOR is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
darstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Marquette, Mi.on the shore of Superior
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Ill take the comment :-)

My tractor and three trailers, all have Air brakes
My trailers by law must be in balance ,heaviest in the front, lightest in the back
My trailers all have the axle in the very back .. stabilizes the tailswing Wiggle
They are all 5th wheel pins
All the Equipment is set up to do the job and I have many more problems than just a single or doubles would cause ,but I get paid $$$$ by the hour and a few cents more for the triples $ (and I don't look back to keep my sanity LOL! )
The above is for anyone else reading this , Im sure you already know these things
As I said before
I have many years of experience ,just as you ,and wouldn't touch doing what you want to do .. Not on my dime :-) HOWEVER
you have already made up your mind , Your a professional and are just playing with the posters here for ?? I guess something to ponder.
I wish you luck, be safe

PS .. and yes they are a good candidate to be outlawed ..not speaking for the companies $$$$$ !! but for many good reasons .. More jobs for more people for one additional reason
You question my motive here, I have said several times , I am considering this combo, and we're looking for others who have done this. That's how it started......as a result I attempted to debate, which is not working, specifics and the issues like wt. distribution , overhang, most as you stated. It's hard to get posters to debate, and I guess mostly because of their lack of knowledge. This we agree on.........Over the years I have to admit not everything I did was legal, nor was always in the safe zone. As you know , taking risks and chances are about the only way to susceed in a overly compeative world.....( I am writing my auto bio now, a whole lot of things are coming back to haunt me . lol )
__________________
darstar is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #121
Senior Member
 
Kuzzy's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nanoose Bay B C
Posts: 335
Your motive to debate is working. Your getting lots of negative response and a few positive. If majority rules then don't attempt it.
It doesn't matter how stupid your idea is, there is always someone who will agree with you.
I've been hauling extended length and heavy for forty years in many different configurations and this is just wrong. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447473526.158606.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	111851


Dave
__________________
Kuzzy is offline  
Old 11-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #122
Senior Member
 
darstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Marquette, Mi.on the shore of Superior
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Your motive to debate is working. Your getting lots of negative response and a few positive. If majority rules then don't attempt it.
It doesn't matter how stupid your idea is, there is always someone who will agree with you.
I've been hauling extended length and heavy for forty years in many different configurations and this is just wrong. Attachment 111851


Dave
There you go, you just made my point....all you say is " just wrong" and no reason. The majority rules here is no measure of debate ! Be specific and you will get responses of substance.
__________________
darstar is offline  
Old 11-14-2015, 12:12 AM   #123
Senior Member
 
Kuzzy's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nanoose Bay B C
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There you go, you just made my point....all you say is " just wrong" and no reason. The majority rules here is no measure of debate ! Be specific and you will get responses of substance.


Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447480782.065501.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  15.4 KB
Looks obvious to me. I'd like to hear the manufacturer of this tow bar say this is ok.
To me this is " just wrong " and your talking about hauling a Suzuki instead of a golf cart.
Why stress a component to more than it was designed for?
Check with the tow bar company. If they say it's ok then I stand corrected and there will be no more debate.


Dave
__________________
Kuzzy is offline  
Old 11-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #124
Senior Member
 
DMTTRANSPORT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Your motive to debate is working. Your getting lots of negative response and a few positive. If majority rules then don't attempt it.
It doesn't matter how stupid your idea is, there is always someone who will agree with you.
I've been hauling extended length and heavy for forty years in many different configurations and this is just wrong. Attachment 111851


Dave
You claim it's "wrong" ..explain
__________________
2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is offline  
Old 11-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #125
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post



here you go.. step up and add another to the back.
This is Aussie rules trucking. Out in the middle of nowhere with miles of straight road and almost no traffic.

Australia has some of the toughest rules for vehicles and drivers licensing.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline  
Old 11-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #126
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
You claim it's "wrong" ..explain
I am sure some of the responses are based on common sense and regard for the safety of their family and others. Some responses are from posts such as #4 where the poster gives the authority and the rule.

However overall it is up to the OP to prove what he is proposing meets the rules and guidelines for what he proposes to attempt.

It appears the OP knows the rules and is looking for justification to ignore the rules. It is all too easy to keep saying "why" when someone does not agree with the proposal.

I recall when my kids learned "why"
Can I go out to play - No its too late.
Why? - because it is getting dark
Why? - this could go on forever.
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem and solution for 7 way towing light socket tucson pappy Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 07-09-2015 01:01 AM
Need to remove Reese Straight-Line (Dual Cam) Hitch when Towing Light bobinyelm Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 4 06-06-2015 10:17 PM
Towing a Ford F250 Super Duty Scottybdivin Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 37 12-27-2013 07:54 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.