Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #85

Too many items to debate. If you want to see in on paper, go to a state online Codes (required by the Feds). They are not easy to navigate but you will find what a state has as rules.

The Feds have rules for commercial vehicles that the stats can use as a guideline for non-commercial vehicles.

The National Network act sets rules for highways used by commercial vehicles. Since the Fed pay a major portion of National Network roads, they do follow the National Network Act.

8'6" isn't prescribed, it is allowed on National Network roads.

The National Network roads absolutely have minimum height clearances, 13'6".

States can vary. For example Colorado, on non National Network roads, only requires overhead obstructions of less than 12'6" be marked.

Here is a towing guide, note the heights, and length.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Featherlite doesn't care if you are legal. You could be a commercial rig and that doesn't have a length limit and would be legal.

You are wrong on this one.. Give a look at Featherlite' policy. If they , and they do , build trailers for 45' Coaches ( Featherlite also owns a Provost conversion company ) and these units were illegal they would be shut down in a New York min.. ! and , if for nothing else, open to lawsuits by the thousands.....with I might say the Courts ruling treble damages for their intent, already known by the Company.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #87

Quote:
Too many items to debate. If you want to see in on paper, go to a state online Codes (required by the Feds). They are not easy to navigate but you will find what a state has as rules.

The Feds have rules for commercial vehicles that the stats can use as a guideline for non-commercial vehicles.

The National Network act sets rules for highways used by commercial vehicles. Since the Fed pay a major portion of National Network roads, they do follow the National Network Act.

States can vary. For example Colorado, on non National Network roads, only requires overhead obstructions of less than 12'6" be marked.

was not including the road building requirements. Interstates are required to have 15-17 foot clearance.This is another issue and could go along with the uniformity intent of the Federal Act. you stated.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #88

Quote:

Towing Guide....Interesting , NJ. PA. and Va. only allow width without a permit at 8 foot.! If true , everyone regardless of CMV or RV , whatever are subject to breaking the law ... can not be , these guides must need updating.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #89

1,000's of miles logged it can be done legal or not.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1447284488.077360.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	111711
Old 11-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You mean the matching coach trailers with elevator? Featherlite makes one, very expensive ....would be great if I could find an old one to match my Concept. New , they can cost more than many Motorhomes.
Looked at a Featherlite (110,000) and purchased an inTech (42,000). The inTech is all the trailer I need and is beautifully built.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You are wrong on this one.. Give a look at Featherlite' policy. If they , and they do , build trailers for 45' Coaches ( Featherlite also owns a Provost conversion company ) and these units were illegal they would be shut down in a New York min.. ! and , if for nothing else, open to lawsuits by the thousands.....with I might say the Courts ruling treble damages for their intent, already known by the Company.
I did some queries of Featherlite. No where in their series of questions did they ask what I would be towing it with.

I could tow it with my 450 one day and the coach the next.

Now I would agree with you if they sold a Prevost with a 30' stacker attached it may be suspect. But I stay on I8 and watch the coaches go by to the Dunes. With Thankgiving coming there is a steady stream that will later turn into a torrent. A good portion of the coaches and trailers are overlength to my eye.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The term "Triple Tow" is slang (counts the towing vehicle)...but is used interchangeably with the more correct term "Pulling Doubles".
Like discussed here: Triple Towing: What You Need To Know Before You Pull 2 Trailers Behind A Car, Truck, Or RV | Fun Times Guide to RVing
or in many-many threads on iRV2.

That FedEx rig is a "Road Train" or "Turnpike Train"
Here's some details....
"In the United States, trucks on public roads are limited to two trailers (two 28 ft or 8.5 m) and a dolly to connect. The limit is 63 ft or 19 m end to end). Some states allow three trailers, although triples are usually restricted to less populous states such as Idaho, Oregon, and Montana, plus the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana East-West Toll Road. Triples are used for long-distance less-than-truckload freight hauling (in which case the trailers are shorter than a typical single-unit trailer) or resource hauling in the interior west (such as ore or aggregate). Triples are sometimes marked with "LONG LOAD" banners both front and rear. "Turnpike doubles"—tractors towing two full-length trailers—are allowed on the New York Thruway and Massachusetts Turnpike (Interstate 90), Florida's Turnpike, Kansas Turnpike (Kansas City - Wichita route) as well as the Ohio and Indiana toll roads. The term "road train" is not commonly used in the United States; "turnpike train" has been used, generally in a pejorative sense."

Safe travels
Call it what YOU want, out here where we run the TRIPLE it's just that, not referred to as a Train in the west.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The term "Triple Tow" is slang (counts the towing vehicle)...but is used interchangeably with the more correct term "Pulling Doubles".
Like discussed here: Triple Towing: What You Need To Know Before You Pull 2 Trailers Behind A Car, Truck, Or RV | Fun Times Guide to RVing
or in many-many threads on iRV2.

That FedEx rig is a "Road Train" or "Turnpike Train"
Here's some details....
"In the United States, trucks on public roads are limited to two trailers (two 28 ft or 8.5 m) and a dolly to connect. The limit is 63 ft or 19 m end to end). Some states allow three trailers, although triples are usually restricted to less populous states such as Idaho, Oregon, and Montana, plus the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana East-West Toll Road. Triples are used for long-distance less-than-truckload freight hauling (in which case the trailers are shorter than a typical single-unit trailer) or resource hauling in the interior west (such as ore or aggregate). Triples are sometimes marked with "LONG LOAD" banners both front and rear. "Turnpike doubles"—tractors towing two full-length trailers—are allowed on the New York Thruway and Massachusetts Turnpike (Interstate 90), Florida's Turnpike, Kansas Turnpike (Kansas City - Wichita route) as well as the Ohio and Indiana toll roads. The term "road train" is not commonly used in the United States; "turnpike train" has been used, generally in a pejorative sense."

Safe travels
Here in Michigan they are called " Michigan trains" , have been for as long as I remember. Multi axles, up to 18, and two 28' trailers, mostly flats for hauling steel.......no other state is like this, and they are legal on toll roads too in Ind,Il.Oh.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Call it what YOU want, out here where we run the TRIPLE it's just that, not referred to as a Train in the west.
I don't make these things up

And, we're FAR west of Henderson...and "we" seriously restricted the use of those 3 trailer commercial loads in this state. Clearly remember election commercials and personal experience that showed how these rigs "dance" down the road and they were called "Road Trains". Also, don't see the rational to cut a drivers job by allowing these monsters on the same road with Ma and Pa Kettle driving in their economy car.

So, back on topic...an RV towing a car, which is pulling a trailer, can be called "Triple Towing" like the OP titled this thread...and this lexicon can easily be cited.

Please feel free to post any citations to the contrary

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I did some queries of Featherlite. No where in their series of questions did they ask what I would be towing it with.

I could tow it with my 450 one day and the coach the next.

Now I would agree with you if they sold a Prevost with a 30' stacker attached it may be suspect. But I stay on I8 and watch the coaches go by to the Dunes. With Thankgiving coming there is a steady stream that will later turn into a torrent. A good portion of the coaches and trailers are overlength to my eye.
You do not have to go further than the graphics ,which Featherlite is very proud of, their matching the design and color to both trailer and Coach is advertised in all their publications as well on the Internet site.z
Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #96

American Coach Owners Club
One cannot compare Pulling a Fifth Wheel and a trailer to what the OP is talking about doing. Triple towing is not the same either. In each of the previous there is full control over the tow.

Pulling a Jeep with the potential for Wobble of Death and then pulling a trailer behind that....it is a potential for disaster! There is NO CONTROL over the entire tow. Not a good idea, but if you do it make sure that your insurance is paid up in full and maybe a temporary 2 million dollar umbrella policy to cover you for the trip.

Does not matter in all honesty as to whether you can or cannot triple tow....it is are you in full control with little or no potential for a problem...Answer NO!!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #97

Just do it. Take a chance. One trip. Sell the samarai. Make big profit. Worth the grief? End of thread?
Happy trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 11-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
1,000's of miles logged it can be done legal or not.Attachment 111711
Only thing that I do not like is single axle on trailer........and the extreme overhang on the MH. ......not questioning your statement , just that I would do it different. Did you have any sway controls on trailer? Also, did you have brakes on trailer and or flat tow?
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing