Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #99

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Just do it. Take a chance. One trip. Sell the samarai. Make big profit. Worth the grief? End of thread?
Happy trails

👍

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
One cannot compare Pulling a Fifth Wheel and a trailer to what the OP is talking about doing. Triple towing is not the same either. In each of the previous there is full control over the tow.

Pulling a Jeep with the potential for Wobble of Death and then pulling a trailer behind that....it is a potential for disaster! There is NO CONTROL over the entire tow. Not a good idea, but if you do it make sure that your insurance is paid up in full and maybe a temporary 2 million dollar umbrella policy to cover you for the trip.

Does not matter in all honesty as to whether you can or cannot triple tow....it is are you in full control with little or no potential for a problem...Answer NO!!!!
Have you read all my posts ? I would have just as much control as any set up, fifth wheel or not maybe more. Tell us why you think it will not work safely ?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Just do it. Take a chance. One trip. Sell the samarai. Make big profit. Worth the grief? End of thread?
Happy trails
My idea is more an experiment and reasons why and why not. I may not do it this way or maybe only in part of the trip, we will see.it has been quite interesting thread so far, all the way around. I guess I am one of those people that when someone says NO , I always want to know why not. Fifty five years of trucking, towing , vintage classics, brass era cars , vintage wood boats restoration, sail boats to 50 ft, and travel in all of North America including Caribbean live aboard five years, home builder, construction machinery....along with owning almost one of of each on and off the road...Just a car guy, who has not given up just yet at 74. The Motor Coach thing is all about the going, and not just getting there.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You do not have to go further than the graphics ,which Featherlite is very proud of, their matching the design and color to both trailer and Coach is advertised in all their publications as well on the Internet site.z
Another 15,000 for graphics - on top of the 110,000.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Have you read all my posts ? I would have just as much control as any set up, fifth wheel or not maybe more. Tell us why you think it will not work safely ?
Have you read all of the posts. Most are saying that they would not do it given the circumstances. Your rationale for attempting this appears to be self serving.

While it is unlikely you will have an issue I wonder if you would be truly prepared if something catastrophic happened. I think when things go bad, they go bad very quickly and many are not prepared to deal with it. I seriously doubt that at 74 your reflexes are near as good as they when you were younger. Yet you seem to think you are prime for taking all of our lives in your hands as you try some experiment.

There is a saying "If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much space". I believe that maturity keeps the edge at a manageable location.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #104

Perfectly safe to tow a 5th wheel trailer with a pull trailer behind it, if you don't think so, don't do it, if you have never done this then your negative comment is not valid....simple!!.....worry, worry, worry.....
Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #105

Waiting for pictures of the wreck! Dave
Old 11-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #106

Are all you naysayers pulling little pup tent trailers with duallys ?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #107

buy a stacker trailer
Old 11-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Have you read all of the posts. Most are saying that they would not do it given the circumstances. Your rationale for attempting this appears to be self serving.

While it is unlikely you will have an issue I wonder if you would be truly prepared if something catastrophic happened. I think when things go bad, they go bad very quickly and many are not prepared to deal with it. I seriously doubt that at 74 your reflexes are near as good as they when you were younger. Yet you seem to think you are prime for taking all of our lives in your hands as you try some experiment.

There is a saying "If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much space". I believe that maturity keeps the edge at a manageable location.

Your rational is flawed. .....Have you ever passed alongside a FedX tractor with three trailers , a little scary. And what if, in your words, " When things go bad" happens. You know they call the two and three trailer rigs " wiggle wagons for a reason ". Ever passed a rig on the Toll rd, pulling two 48' trailers ? Takes a while to pass , so , you start thinking, what if ! I know drivers who run these multi flex set ups, they will admit, in windy conditions, snow covered roads , " once you loose it , it's all over". So , should these set up be outlawed ? It's all about moving freight, at a lower cost per unit, is that worth it ?. Ever got the data on how many failures FedX and UPS have a year ? They will admit, it's not as safe as a single rig, but , considering the miles traveled, they think it's worth it. This is the reason we have laws in transportation. I know , ran my own Trucking co for over 40 years. We hauled the stuf others refused, long, wide, high, heavy, every load was a chalange, and, there always was a risk connected to what we were asked to do....my drivers knew it , and I only hired experienced drivers, no " driving school grads" ! Moving anything down the road is a crap shoot, you know that, yet , you seem to think what I propose is fool Hardy. No , I would not take risks I see too risky. , First I plan what I am thinking about doing, it's not just a jump in and hope for the best.. Over all the years I have seen some scary rigs going down the road, weaving across the white line because of wind and poor set up, like not being able to go faster than 40 or they loose it. It's a long list, we all have seen this. I grew up in a world ( state of Iowa ) where the speed limit was " reasonable and proper" , looking back, maybe not such a bad idea. If you want to know what and why I propose or attempt pulling a 4500 lb Long WB Jeep and a 3400 lb trailer behind , I will tell you. Somehow I think you may not be interested in the actual design and why I want to do.it this way.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #109

here you go.. step up and add another to the back

Old 11-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about 6 trailers behind a box truck?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aust_config2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	111790
Photo credit to the Australian trucking biz'
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Waiting for pictures of the wreck! Dave
Yes , a camera will be rolling all the time I am moving, focused on the trailer connection...............film at 11:00.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
How about 6 trailers behind a box truck?

Attachment 111790
Photo credit to the Australian trucking biz'
Interesting , notice on the 6 trailer train......it's pulled by a straight truck pulling everything else with a pintle hook !!
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing