Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #1

Triple towing anyone doing it ?

I am planing on flat tow my Jeep Wrangler behind my 45 ft. Country Coach, then attach 14' flat bed with Samurai on board to the hitch on the Jeep. I know on the Interstate, no overall leith laws and Mi to Az. Shows they all allow triples. The question is how does the trailer do with the 2200 lb Sammy on top ? I am guessing there could be some sway, but not sure using the coach to Jeep tow bar. Jeep is about 4,000 , trailer and Samurai about 3200 lbs. ( my trailer is all alum Featherlite ) I could put wt. dist. Bars on Jeep, but not sure I need it. Any thoughts out there ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

This has got to be the stupidest thing ever. Totally unsafe, and just plain dumb. Glad where I live this is against the law as it should be every where.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Besides the issue of a triple, what's the tow rating of your receiver? You're towing over 7K pounds!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to chech individual state laws on triple towing. In Missouri triple towing is only allowed with a truck and 5th wheel trailer.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Illegal in a lot of states like WA, OR and CA. When they stop you they make you leave one of the vehicles right there if safe and you have to have it towed or drop one and go back for the other one. They won't just give you a ticket and let you continue.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
Besides the issue of a triple, what's the tow rating of your receiver? You're towing over 7K pounds!
Our CC has a 15,000# hitch/towing rating so it may be well withing it's ratings.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
KIX

It may be legal to tow doubles in the states you intend to travel in. Have you thought about brakes on all hte axles? However, the first hitch (according to what I've read) is required to be a clamping type like a fifth wheel hitch. A towbar does not qualify for a very good reason.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
can't tripple tow in Wa, state
Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I would not do this. Towing a trailer behind a Jeep that is being flat towed, recipient for disaster. How do you handle a situation where the Jeep possibly starts wobbling then causes the trailer behind to whip.....

I think that there is a personal injury lawyer that would be salivating like Pavlov's Dog over this .....

As my 2 year old Grandson says.... "NOT DOOOD"

Be Safe,
Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our CC has a 15,000# hitch/towing rating so it may be well withing it's ratings.
Good to know, thanks! Haven't looked at DP's so not sure what they can be rated at.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Got a friend who tows a 5ver and then a trailer with a jeep on it, has all the required safety gear, and the hitch on the 5ver was put in by a professional, he's had no problems. Cross winds are kinda scary but he slows it down, I follow him all the time.

Not saying that I would like to do it, but it works for him.

Although this is a different set up than the OP, I would NOT do what the OP is intending to do, because of the tow bar

Forgot to mention, friend has brakes on the rear trailer.

OP think about your braking situation
Old 11-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #12

First my coach is a bus, GVW over 50,000, and yes hitch is rated 15,000 With the pusher axle you do not know you are towing anything, engine 525hp Detroit. I am not worried about wt. factors. It's just I am concerned about any possible sway of the trailer. Also, this is to be a one time shot, to Tucson. My other option is to have the wife drive the jeep and trailer. Of coarse that could be a safety factor as she has a online business, so there will be a cell ph going all the time and she will have to stop to operate lap Top every 150 miles....I will be long gone ahead by a day or two ! Maybe that might not be so bad after all , all I need is my Sat. Tunes and I can drive 1,000 miles if I feel like it., a day. I do have air brake connection at rear of coach with control on dash...not sure what it is and would have to do some checking on that type of brake set up on trailer ? For over 20 years I pulled a 30 ft car trailer behind my 38 ft Monaco, so that part is nothing new. I do see a lot of set ups whe there is a boat and trailer behind a fifth wheel .....My set up would be different, but the custom built Road Master tow bars are very strong with no sway. . In my mind just as strong as. A pintle hook on a dump truck with a big doses, so ...?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our CC has a GVWR of 57,000#'s and GCVWR of 72,000#'s but I wouldn't try what the OP wants to do.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #14

Get a longer trailer and put both the Jeep and the Sammi on it. Problem solved!

Tags
tow, towing