Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple Up Tow

I want your thoughts on towing 2 items behind the DP motorhome. The tow of two items will only be in non congested, mostly interstate hwys. I am thinking a Ford Flex, and I have a 12 ft enclosed motorcycle trailer that I haul to motorcycle in. Total weight of the trailer and contents about 3800 lbs. I checked and know the states that I can do this in. I will be on the very edge of 65 ft total length. In places that it is not possible, I will tow the trailer with the MH, and the Sweetie (wife) will drive the toad. We are going back on the road full time when the daughter returns from Iraq, June 2010, and we give the grandaughter back to her mom. We just want to be able to ride a few miles together.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never been in favore of triple towing but at least for a while this is still a free country. Just make sure you know all the rules of the states you travel. The Woodall rules of the road is a good guide but it is incomplete. An example is in Mo. you can't triple tow with two ball hitches and in soom states you need a CDL. IMHO It would be better to get a larger inclosed trailer to haul you car and motor cycle and you would most likely have room to haul more of the (stuff) you might want.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Frankly I hate to see triples. All is well enough until some emergency crops up and a panic stop or quick turn maneuver is required and then it all goes to....

But as long as you know what states allow it and under what conditions (type of hitch, class of license, etc), you are entitled to take whatever risks you want.

A large trailer that can carry both the car and the trailer is a much safer solution and then you and the wife can ride together 100% of the time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
After the comments and a lot of research, I will probably never do a triple tow. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #5

A freind of mine tandem tows all of the time, Harley Davidson crew cab Ford with a fifth wheel Playmor to haul his Harleys and live in, with a 19' wells cargo to work out of. He has had issues though, but not when tandem, he hit some ice with the Playmor and jacknifed, bending the cab on the truck. If he had been tandem at that time it would have been a real mess!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #6

check the brake laws out west (ie) no surge brakes allowed on triple tow. only electric or hyd or air in any combination.on the last two towed units. Ive done triple tow for a living,and it can get little exciting at times. good luck Greg
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I have driven a lot, have a CDL. I have decided to do something a little different. I will get a crew cab P/U and put a motorcycle lift in the bed. I then will build a box that will enclose the MC and load and unload with the bike strapped inside. Just trying to keep the bike safe and out of the weather. I was asking for information and I thank you for the responses.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
this past Saturday
i did see a mh with a car on a tow dolly and the car had a boat attached to it,
I-40 West in NM
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote