Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #1

Trouble with RVi brake hub

I'm currently on the road and my RVi hub won't connect with the tablet. The hub has been plugged into a power supply continuously and yesterday after 6 or 7 hours of driving it would lose connection. Now it won't connect at all. The hub displays a flashing blue light and alternating red and green lights. Anyone out there experience this problem? RVi is closed until Monday and I'm not wild about driving without brakes on my toad.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #2

I've had similar connectivity problems with my RVIbrake3 not pairing with the Command Center hub.

The good news is that the brake works without the hub. In fact, I used the brake for several months before setting up the hub.

From the RVI FAQ:

Q. Can I setup or change the settings of my RVibrake3 without my tablet?

A. Yes, should something happen to your Command Center tablet or hub, you can press and hold the “Auto Position” button for 10 seconds and the Audio Assistant will walk you through changing the settings on your RVibrake3.

Source: https://rvibrake.com/pages/rvibrake3-faq
dev6682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
I'm currently on the road and my RVi hub won't connect with the tablet. The hub has been plugged into a power supply continuously and yesterday after 6 or 7 hours of driving it would lose connection. Now it won't connect at all. The hub displays a flashing blue light and alternating red and green lights. Anyone out there experience this problem? RVi is closed until Monday and I'm not wild about driving without brakes on my toad.

You’ll need the pairing instructions but you can reset the tablet and/or reset the puck and it should reconnect
dnbgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
did you try pushing the reset button on the hub?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #5

I have had this issue as well. It will drop intermittently while driving, very frustrating. I have done the repairing several times but am now wondering if it is my tablet placement so I plan to keep it within line of sight to the hub on our next trip. That seems to have helped at the end of our last trip. Also wondering if you can use a higher gain WiFi antenna on the hub.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

Yes, it is frustrating. The hub paired with the command center this morning and it worked for a couple of hours but then it started dropping and the tablet starts with the annoying 'beep beep' that tells you it's lost the connection. I can either listen to the aggravating noise or take my eyes off the road and try to hit the silence button. As the day went on it dropped the connection more frequently but would eventually pair up. I had the hub plugged in the entire time and it was only inches away from the tablet. When it was paired up, the blue light on the hub was flashing. When it connection was broken, I could see there were no lights on the hub. The fact that the brakes work without the tablet makes sense, I didn't think about that. But I've gotten used to glancing over at it to see that my toad is braking...I like that feedback.

Auxiliary braking is new to me so I should feel better about it as time goes on. This is my first road trip with the system and my Bay Star. I'll be calling RVi in a day or two as I'll be stopped for a few days.

Thanks to all who chimed in.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alv3769 View Post
did you try pushing the reset button on the hub?
Yes alv, I tried holding the button in, pressing and releasing, power cord plugged in, power cord unplugged - every variation I could think of. Something is amiss.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
Yes, it is frustrating. The hub paired with the command center this morning and it worked for a couple of hours but then it started dropping and the tablet starts with the annoying 'beep beep' that tells you it's lost the connection. I can either listen to the aggravating noise or take my eyes off the road and try to hit the silence button. As the day went on it dropped the connection more frequently but would eventually pair up. I had the hub plugged in the entire time and it was only inches away from the tablet. When it was paired up, the blue light on the hub was flashing. When it connection was broken, I could see there were no lights on the hub. The fact that the brakes work without the tablet makes sense, I didn't think about that. But I've gotten used to glancing over at it to see that my toad is braking...I like that feedback.

Auxiliary braking is new to me so I should feel better about it as time goes on. This is my first road trip with the system and my Bay Star. I'll be calling RVi in a day or two as I'll be stopped for a few days.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

It sure sounds the same as what is happening to me. Interesting that the lights on the hub went out, I figured it was the tablet that was the issue. I can’t see my hub when it happens because it is in the bedroom in the rear.

Have you spoken to RVi?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm suspecting some sort of interference, what I'm not sure. As long as I am stationary everything works as expected, yesterday on a trial run the tablet first lost connection with the hub then the RVI Brake. Sometimes it would reconnect a few times I rebooted the tablet.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’ve never had that problem, but I have an older hub with external antenna and only one orange LED to indicate charging.

I’ve only had hub connectivity problems when another device connects to the hub before the tablet connects and locks it down.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #11

Hub connectivity update

During our several day stay at an RV park I let the battery run down on the hub. Then I plugged it into the charger that came with the hub from RVi, thinking that maybe the USB charger I bought on Amazon might not be working all that well. The hub took a charge and I left it on again, watching the flashing blue light throughout the day until it ran out of juice. Yesterday morning I plugged it into the USB charger that I had wired into the 12v panel in the bathroom and it worked fine all day. So perhaps the problem was an anomaly. Only time will tell.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #12

Anyone discover solution to the intermittent connection problem? I am also suspecting interference... since for me the issue seems to happen more in populated city areas. Had my brake for about a year now it was more reliable for first 6 months. Now tablet will constantly loose connection with hub, and/or hub looses connection with the brake. Have tried placing hub in different locations in the RV but doesn't seem to help. Going to try to call Rvi support for help.
BTW you can just turn volume down on tablet to silence the annoying beeps every time it disconnects.
bobca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobca1 View Post
Anyone discover solution to the intermittent connection problem? I am also suspecting interference... since for me the issue seems to happen more in populated city areas. Had my brake for about a year now it was more reliable for first 6 months. Now tablet will constantly loose connection with hub, and/or hub looses connection with the brake. Have tried placing hub in different locations in the RV but doesn't seem to help. Going to try to call Rvi support for help.
BTW you can just turn volume down on tablet to silence the annoying beeps every time it disconnects.

Mine did this as well. Not sure if it’s the reason, but I have found if I face the tablet screen facing the rear of the coach where the hub is located, the frequency of communication loss has dropped dramatically. We just drove 1,400 miles and it lost communications once and only for a few seconds. Previously, it would lose communications so often I told my wife to throw it out the window as I was sick of the beeping. Fortunately, she didn’t listen to me [emoji4]

I originally had it angled so it was easier to see and my thought is the WiFi antenna in the tablet did like that.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #14

I had hub connection problems when I had my iPhone laying on the dashboard and the iPhone was in "Personal Hotspot" mode.
I have the hub located in the rear of the coach. I assume the iPhone signal was distracting the tablet which was very close to it.
Now I just turn off wifi in the iPhone totally.
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake