Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesmone View Post
I just purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4. I know it will tow. The manual states to disconnect the ground from the battery. Has anyone come up with a different solution to this disconnect?
Thanks for your response.
We are towing a 2013 Chevy Silverado 4X4 and the manual has nothing in it regarding disconnecting the ground from the battery. I would call GM tech line to verify this.

terriersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
2002 Dodge Dakota as dinghy?

I am looking for a small truck to carry my motorcycle and flat tow 4 wheels down. I was considering the Dakota, 2x4 rear WD, manual transmission 5speed w/od. Seems like many I can't get a straight answer. Giant recreation world says yes, Remco says yes but Dodge says defiantly not. Now I understand their lack of commitment due to warrantee. I just can't understand why unless the overdrive part would fail. So my question to all is does anyone have any experience with this model Dakota. Not interested in driveshaft disconnects. And any small truck suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce & June Hotaling
Maggie & Sadie 2 spoiled Cockers
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2012 Ford Fusion hybrid Toad
small truck to come...maybe

Old 05-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
2002 Dodge Dakota as dinghy?

I am looking for a small truck to carry my motorcycle and flat tow 4 wheels down. I was considering the Dakota, 2x4 rear WD, manual transmission 5speed w/od. 4X4 is towable but heavy and not considered. Seems like many I can't get a straight answer. Giant recreation world says yes, Remco says yes but Dodge says defiantly not. Now I understand their lack of commitment due to warrantee. I just can't understand why a manual transmission in nutral wouldn't work unless the overdrive part would fail. So my question to all is does anyone have any experience with this model Dakota. Not interested in driveshaft disconnects. And any small truck suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce & June Hotaling
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit
Old 05-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #32
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I cannot imagine why your manual 2x4 is not flat-towable. Unless there is a separate 2 speed over-drive transmission after your 5 speed, then there should be nothing unique about it. The "overdrive" that they usually refer to in these transmissions is that 5th gear is not a direct drive or 1:1 ratio, but a higher gear to spin the output shaft faster than the motor. Older 4 speed transmissions had a direct drive for 4th gear, but that was long ago, and in most manual transmissions the output shaft is gear driven in all speeds.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #33

Does anyone tow a 2002 Chevy s10 four wheels down?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I am looking for a small truck to carry my motorcycle and flat tow 4 wheels down. I was considering the Dakota, 2x4 rear WD, manual transmission 5speed w/od. Seems like many I can't get a straight answer. Giant recreation world says yes, Remco says yes but Dodge says defiantly not. Now I understand their lack of commitment due to warrantee. I just can't understand why unless the overdrive part would fail. So my question to all is does anyone have any experience with this model Dakota. Not interested in driveshaft disconnects. And any small truck suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce & June Hotaling
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit
Bruce,
First off, many folks use "Remco" as the Gods of towing. Remco doesn't make any vehicles. They just sell parts that make "some" towable. If Dodge tells you that, that particular truck is NOT TOWABLE, I think I'd go with Dodges opinion, not Remcos. It's not their truck. I'm no expert on any transmissions out there so, just why they say not to tow that truck, it's anyones guess.

There are others out there that definitely ARE flat towable though. The Chevy Colorado, the GMC version is also. Fords Ranger, at least a certain range of years in the 4x4 version, is also flat towable. But, Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, required that you purchase an "NTK" kit. That's a "Neutral Tow Kit". What it consists of is a joke but, it's required in order to tow that model Ranger. Now, again, all the ones I'm referring to are the 4x4 versions. And, the primary reason is, those mentioned have an ability to put the transfer case in a neutral position to allow them to be FLAT TOWED!

We tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended cab 4x4. We carry a Honda Goldwing in the back of it using the "Rampage" lift. The truck weighs right at 5300 lbs. and the bike, comes in at close to 900 lbs. The lift hovers around 275 lbs. So, it sure makes for nice fun when you can ride the bike during your travels. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Bruce,
First off, many folks use "Remco" as the Gods of towing. Remco doesn't make any vehicles. They just sell parts that make "some" towable. If Dodge tells you that, that particular truck is NOT TOWABLE, I think I'd go with Dodges opinion, not Remcos. It's not their truck. I'm no expert on any transmissions out there so, just why they say not to tow that truck, it's anyones guess.

There are others out there that definitely ARE flat towable though. The Chevy Colorado, the GMC version is also. Fords Ranger, at least a certain range of years in the 4x4 version, is also flat towable. But, Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, required that you purchase an "NTK" kit. That's a "Neutral Tow Kit". What it consists of is a joke but, it's required in order to tow that model Ranger. Now, again, all the ones I'm referring to are the 4x4 versions. And, the primary reason is, those mentioned have an ability to put the transfer case in a neutral position to allow them to be FLAT TOWED!

We tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended cab 4x4. We carry a Honda Goldwing in the back of it using the "Rampage" lift. The truck weighs right at 5300 lbs. and the bike, comes in at close to 900 lbs. The lift hovers around 275 lbs. So, it sure makes for nice fun when you can ride the bike during your travels. Good luck.
Scott
I have been looking at the rampage lift to load my ultra when/if I find a appropriate truck. I have to do much more research on my safely towing a given weight and just how that will affect my mileage. Rampage says their lift weighs 350#. I have had my Rv with toad weighed at all positions and came in well under my total allowable weight. My 06 Georgie Boy 31' with a ford triton v10 tows well with my present toad of my 2012 fusion hybrid using auxiliary brake system RVI brake2 getting 7.4mpg with toad and 9.6mpg without. I did a tuner modification from 5 star tuning
< Got a V10 RV » 5 Star Tuning >
that gave me a 1mpg increase and more important a noticeable improvement in torque. I also did a exhaust mod suggested by them for a little improvement in both torque and mpg.
I live in Florida =flat and plan to do a couple of months out west next year and if i can bring toad with MC that would be great but not at the expense of safety or the total cost to buy truck, truck set up to tow, rampage lift, and added fuel cost for the extra weight.

I did find out why a 2x4 rear WD ranger manual transmission is not flat towable.I pasted reason below.

"The manual transmission does not, the output shaft, the
splined gears for 5th and reverse on the mainshaft and
the "floating" gears for 5th and reverse on the countershaft
all spin, however the input shaft and cluster gear whch are
responsible for most of the transmissions splash & Funnel
lubrication do not. this will cause the manual transmission
to spin the "pocket bearing" at high speed with NO lubrication
at all when it is towed in neutral.

i have some research ahead of me. Bruce
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #36

Bruce
If Dodge tells you, or if the owners manual says, that truck should not be towed, I would find one that can.
I have enough mechanical problems when I do things right.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I have been looking at the rampage lift to load my ultra when/if I find a appropriate truck. I have to do much more research on my safely towing a given weight and just how that will affect my mileage. Rampage says their lift weighs 350#. I have had my Rv with toad weighed at all positions and came in well under my total allowable weight. My 06 Georgie Boy 31' with a ford triton v10 tows well with my present toad of my 2012 fusion hybrid using auxiliary brake system RVI brake2 getting 7.4mpg with toad and 9.6mpg without. I did a tuner modification from 5 star tuning
< Got a V10 RV » 5 Star Tuning >
that gave me a 1mpg increase and more important a noticeable improvement in torque. I also did a exhaust mod suggested by them for a little improvement in both torque and mpg.
I live in Florida =flat and plan to do a couple of months out west next year and if i can bring toad with MC that would be great but not at the expense of safety or the total cost to buy truck, truck set up to tow, rampage lift, and added fuel cost for the extra weight.

I did find out why a 2x4 rear WD ranger manual transmission is not flat towable.I pasted reason below.

"The manual transmission does not, the output shaft, the
splined gears for 5th and reverse on the mainshaft and
the "floating" gears for 5th and reverse on the countershaft
all spin, however the input shaft and cluster gear whch are
responsible for most of the transmissions splash & Funnel
lubrication do not. this will cause the manual transmission
to spin the "pocket bearing" at high speed with NO lubrication
at all when it is towed in neutral.

i have some research ahead of me. Bruce
Bruce,
When I was in the market for a truck and a new method of hauling our Goldwing, I ran into a fella on either this forum or, RV.net who, was using a late model Ford Ranger 4x4 and, the Rampage to haul his H/D. When I Pm'd him a few times about it and how he liked it and all, he said it worked just fine and, the truck hauled it without issue. He did have to put the NTK kit in the truck to make it flat towable.

As for gas mileage, this always cracks me up. Trying to get gas mileage while driving a giant Kleenex box that weighs more than around 4-5 average cars combined and, even towing something then, thinking of adding more weight (like your Harley) and a lift, well, I guess if you need to consider gas mileage, that's up to you. Gas mileage doesn't exist for the most part in out circumstances. I get 7 empty, full, sitting in the garage, going down hill, tail wind, no matter. As long as the wife and I can enjoy some traveling in the later years, and I can afford at least some Diesel, it will get what it's going to get.

Now, as for the lift. I designed and built a cart that stores that lift when it's not in use in the back of the truck, hauling our Wing. I set it up at about 1" higher than the bed height on the truck. So, when we return from a trip, I back the truck partially into the garage and remove all the attaching bolts (which takes approximately 30 seconds to a minute) and electric plug on the lift. Then, I roll the cart up to the rear of the truck.

Then, as I lift the one end of the lift and, pull it out about half way, the wife rolls the cart right underneath it. I then set it down on the cart. From that point, I simply roll the lift and cart, over to it's little corner of the garage and, my truck is now a truck again. And, like stated, that whole operation takes me about 2 minutes which, includes re-installing the tail gate.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
The 2014 Toyota Tundra is now tow-able - 4 down (neutral position in 4x4 switch)!!!!!

And it's about D*&^ time!!!!! And they are manufactured in TX.
According to Toyota's website it is not towable 4 down. Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #39
Commercial Member

i have towed three trucks four wheels down.
i have towed a 2002 gmc sonoma, (same as s10) with a remco drive shaft disconnect. a real pita. it is hard to keep adjusted. it does work when adjusted.
i have towed a 2005 dodge dakota 4x4 with automatic trans. just use a battery disconnect. i am now towing a 2102 dodge 2500 with 4x4 automatic trans four down. manual 4 wheel disconnect.
again, use a battery disconnect. i towed the first two trucks more than 300,00 miles. not vacationing, working
Old 08-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #40

2014 GMC Sierra 1500

Went to a local dealer to purchase a 2014 GMC Sierra 4X4 but was told that it could not be flat towed. Provided the service manager and sales manager with a copy of GM's bulletin to dealers and a copy of GM's published Trailer Towing Guide that each state to the contrary. As well I had the sales person I was dealing with provide a copy of the owners manual that had the correct procedure for towing four down in print and he was easily able to put the transfer case in neutral by following the printed instructions.

All agreed and I entered into agreement to buy the truck, however, when I asked the dealer to acknowledge four down capability on the sales contract the deal fell apart.

I don't know what the real problem is given all the GM publications that state that virtually all 2014 GM trucks with a two stage transfer case can be flat towed but the dealer I was at was adamant - tow at your own risk but no warranty.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
BHEMOTH If you are a retired military, Government or disable military Ford offers a big discount and there may be other discounts in your state for buying a Ford that was the main reason I bought my Ford 4X4 F150. I wanted a new truck but I am not loyal to any brand just wanted a V8 crew cab 4X4 truck for the best price and the Ford beat all by a long shot with the Military discount to work with it is also easy to set up to tow but does need a charge line. And they will warranty the truck.
I also tried the drive shaft disconnect and as posted it was A PITA and hard to keep adjusted, never again.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHEMOTH View Post
Went to a local dealer to purchase a 2014 GMC Sierra 4X4 but was told that it could not be flat towed. Provided the service manager and sales manager with a copy of GM's bulletin to dealers and a copy of GM's published Trailer Towing Guide that each state to the contrary. As well I had the sales person I was dealing with provide a copy of the owners manual that had the correct procedure for towing four down in print and he was easily able to put the transfer case in neutral by following the printed instructions.

All agreed and I entered into agreement to buy the truck, however, when I asked the dealer to acknowledge four down capability on the sales contract the deal fell apart.

I don't know what the real problem is given all the GM publications that state that virtually all 2014 GM trucks with a two stage transfer case can be flat towed but the dealer I was at was adamant - tow at your own risk but no warranty.
That can't be the only GMC dealer in the world. You know the deal you're willing to take and what you want. Go elsewhere and when you get what you want drop a note to the first idiot dealership's owner.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad