Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Usually no need to back an unloaded Eze Tow. They are light enough to move by hand - at least short distances. I use my lawn tractor to move mine around when at home.
I had a neighbor back an empty dolly and got it stuck under his bumper.
He asked me to help get it unstuck. I finally had to bring a jack over to his house and lift the rear of the truck to remove it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Usually no need to back an unloaded Eze Tow. They are light enough to move by hand - at least short distances. I use my lawn tractor to move mine around when at home.

I plan on adding a hitch to my KIA in the event I would have an uphill battle or be forced to park it remote at a campsite. The available hitches are cheap and light, use existing holes. We have been taking our bicycles prior to getting the Toad, hitch would allow that also.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I plan on adding a hitch to my KIA in the event I would have an uphill battle or be forced to park it remote at a campsite. The available hitches are cheap and light, use existing holes. We have been taking our bicycles prior to getting the Toad, hitch would allow that also.
Great minds think alike...Exactly what I did to our Escape $138 from the local U-Haul and was an EZE bolt on hitch, DIY at home that fit perfectly. Haven't used the hitch for the dolly, yet...but have used it for a bike rack and a cargo carrier rack from Harbor Freight. That's Murphys Law in action.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #18

Awesome thread guys. My Tow Dolly is on order and I plan to make some practice runs with my Truck pulling my Honda and Acura. I was sort of thinking about adding some type of small hitch to the Honda so I could move the dolly around when inconvenient to drag manually.

Also thanks for the link for the alternate straps - I will need to get me a spare set plus looking at finding a spare for the dolly too.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Awesome thread guys. My Tow Dolly is on order and I plan to make some practice runs with my Truck pulling my Honda and Acura. I was sort of thinking about adding some type of small hitch to the Honda so I could move the dolly around when inconvenient to drag manually.

Also thanks for the link for the alternate straps - I will need to get me a spare set plus looking at finding a spare for the dolly too.

If you are buying an Acme you should be able to get them to throw in a spare, that was an offer a short while back. Regardless; there price is decent and no freight if it comes shipped w/dolly.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My single tongue straps arrived yesterday. They are going to be a real pleasure to use versus the ACME standards. Just having the cross straps sewed to the side straps is going to make it much easier.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:00 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My hitch arrived from Amazon Weds. and I installed it yesterday. I wrote a review on Amazon concerning the product and installation under the name Arlene (wife's account). Curt manufacturing 111103 class I hitch with old style ball mount.

I have been a little nervous about just having the dolly lights so I am going to fabricate a light bar that connects onto the ball mount for an addition tail/turn/stop. I don't trust magnetics to not eventually mess up the paint and I really don't want to modify the car or the wiring. Plenty of room in the coach basement to throw the mount and light bar when I don't need them.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
My hitch arrived from Amazon Weds. and I installed it yesterday. I wrote a review on Amazon concerning the product and installation under the name Arlene (wife's account). Curt manufacturing 111103 class I hitch with old style ball mount.

I have been a little nervous about just having the dolly lights so I am going to fabricate a light bar that connects onto the ball mount for an addition tail/turn/stop. I don't trust magnetics to not eventually mess up the paint and I really don't want to modify the car or the wiring. Plenty of room in the coach basement to throw the mount and light bar when I don't need them.

I added suction cup lights to the inside rear window on my Honda. a friend of mine added lights to his Kia that set on the rear shelf inside the car. I ran a line thru the firewall that I attach the light harness to, under the dash. the rest of the wire runs thru the firewall and is long enough to reach the MH trailer plug. when not in use, I just roll the wire up under the hood on one end, and the inside end next to the inside firewall doesn't interfere with anything.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is my light bar for the toad. As I wrote earlier I did not wish to modify the car, so this is what I came up with. The hitch ball attaches the aluminum bar to the ball hitch, nice and handy if I need to drag the dolly somewhere after arrival. I added an additional 4 wire harness to the dolly and plug both the dolly original lights and my additional harness to a 2x 4 way plug adaptor to my 7 point MH connector. I ran the new 4 wire line through the tongue and frame of dolly to the rear of the dolly. I plug a 4 wire extension into that throw the extension in the car (door seal holds it in place without crimping) then put the light bar lead through the hatch and close the hatch to hold those wires. I have a different ball hitch coming that will raise the lights an additional 3 inches for more driveway clearance and visibility, the one in the picture is what came with the hitch kit. the light bar is actually a couple of inches higher than the hitch receiver now but a little more will be better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	48773  
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks great!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quick update on my Acme EZE Tow.

Cleaned up the wiring connector on the Motor Home.
It looks like it had not been used in a long time.
Hooked up the dolly and all worked as planed.

The put the CRV on it and went for a ride.
I if I could not see it in the wide angle rear
view lens, I would not know it was back there.

Tracks nice and no pushing noticed on stops.
I plan on doing this several more time before
we head out next month.

The DW had to say "I told you so" a couple of times.
As we all know if MAMA is happy...we all are happy.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ Oldme - love it when a plan comes together! Glad it's working for you!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #27

I have several questions and comments to the previous post.

To Gman65,

I too have struggled with the ACME supplied straps for the 18 months I’ve had the dolly. I’m now on my second set. This is one of the major problems while loading the toad. I always have to lay down to adjust the straps. Not much fun in the rain! My question to you is do the straps you purchased cradle the tire in a good 3 point pattern? The website makes them appear to be closer to the rear of the tire than equally spaced front, center and rear. Also, does the one center location up front keep the wheels secure during turns? I tow a Hyundai Elantra Touring with 17”wheels and 45 series low profile tires.

To BrockX,

You might want to consider a hitch with a 4”rise or more if you can find it. A lot of Pilot and other fuel stops have extreme dips at the exit drives from big rig traffic. I learned this the hard way! I went to magnetic lights on the top for that reason.

Finally to all who question backing with a loaded EZE-tow. I have become very good at backing my toad with the DW providing directions. I don’t back great distances but there have been a number of times that I have backed out of pull-in sites on an overnight stay when I didn’t want to unload the toad. Same is true for fuel stops. As has already been stated, use the lock provided on the EZE-tow and take it slow. I’m not sure a dolly that pivots would work the same but the EZE-tow does.

WM
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
I have several questions and comments to the previous post.

To Gman65,

I too have struggled with the ACME supplied straps for the 18 months I’ve had the dolly. I’m now on my second set. This is one of the major problems while loading the toad. I always have to lay down to adjust the straps. Not much fun in the rain! My question to you is do the straps you purchased cradle the tire in a good 3 point pattern? The website makes them appear to be closer to the rear of the tire than equally spaced front, center and rear. Also, does the one center location up front keep the wheels secure during turns? I tow a Hyundai Elantra Touring with 17”wheels and 45 series low profile tires.

To BrockX,

You might want to consider a hitch with a 4”rise or more if you can find it. A lot of Pilot and other fuel stops have extreme dips at the exit drives from big rig traffic. I learned this the hard way! I went to magnetic lights on the top for that reason.

Finally to all who question backing with a loaded EZE-tow. I have become very good at backing my toad with the DW providing directions. I don’t back great distances but there have been a number of times that I have backed out of pull-in sites on an overnight stay when I didn’t want to unload the toad. Same is true for fuel stops. As has already been stated, use the lock provided on the EZE-tow and take it slow. I’m not sure a dolly that pivots would work the same but the EZE-tow does.

WM
the picture on the web site doesn't display how these straps actually fit. they cradle the tire in 3 locations and they are the answer to the crappy straps supplied with the dolly. trust me and others, these straps are the way to go, not only for Eze Tows, but most other dollys.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly