Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go four down I think I recently was trying to exit a parking lot via a curved exit and couldn't due to the curve of the driveway. In no time we had the toad unhooked and I could back up without worry a exit another way.

tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 37g adventurer and pull a geo tracker 4 down. With that large a gas Mh the lighter the load the better. If we ever have to replace the toad the wife will just drive herself.
1. Towing setups are expensive.
2. May use the same amount of gas.
3. Can back up easily.
4. Car can scout camping spots.
5. Can use cell phones
6. No braking systems.
7. No refit when changing toads.

If you stay places a while and don't criss cross the nation maybe you don't need anything
Good luck

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We found that drive yourself or rent when you got there was not that great. Inconvenient and more trouble than it was worth.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
the vehicle that I own can not be towed 4 down so a tow dolly was advised.

any advice to share re braking or no brakes, lghting for the dolly and the towed vehicle. I would like all info to deside what I should get braked or no brakes.

my vehicle is a van that weighs about 3500 lbs.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #19

Thanks for all the replies. At this time we are leaning towards selling our VW Beetle and getting something like a Jeep Liberty.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #20

Car dolly, electric vs surge brakes

I have read numerous posts and have decided that I need to go with a car dolly as I can not tow 4 down with my VW TDI automatic. A car dolly offers me an affordable solution to getting my car out west for a 5 week ski trip where my car will be invaluable. Rental is too expensive, about $25 a day. I do need one with brakes and have found a Master Tow that is $950 in excellent condition used near my home, but it weighs in at 550 pounds and has surge brakes. I can get a equally good dolly with electric brakes for about $300 more (American Car Dolly) that is about 100 pounds less in weight and has electric brakes. Both have swivel plate steering. Question is do I avoid the dolly with surge brakes? What is the issues with surge brakes vs electric? I need do no modifications with the surge brake trailer and it is the right price, but a tad heavier and weight is an issue as I am right on the edge of 3500 pounds with the VW and Master Tow I am considering. Thanks for your input. I think either would work for me, but I haven't used a dolly so can't speak from experience.
Chris 06VH
Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chris,

Since you are decided on a dolly be aware that a car dolly does not need a pivot pan, nor a steering axle. If concerned about weight, take a look at fixed frame dolly's like the Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company. Just 405lb empty. Used, these dolly's are well priced, but new is very affordable.

This style dolly steers using the car's front wheels to make a turn just like flat towing. Having steering built-in to the dolly is fine, but just adds weight.

I have well over 10,000 miles on my EZE-Tow with no problems, towing several type cars and front wheel drive SUV's...and being so light, I can move it around by myself and just slide it under the RV's rear overhang at campgrounds (if needed).

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #22

Thanks for all the feedback. We sold the VW and bought a used Jeep Liberty. We are towing 4 down with a Blue Ox setup.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #23

steerable car dolly

Everything I have read on other boards and advice I have been getting is that the non steerable are to be avoided. I can handle the extra 45 pounds. Thanks, chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Chris,

Since you are decided on a dolly be aware that a car dolly does not need a pivot pan, nor a steering axle. If concerned about weight, take a look at fixed frame dolly's like the Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company. Just 405lb empty. Used, these dolly's are well priced, but new is very affordable.

This style dolly steers using the car's front wheels to make a turn just like flat towing. Having steering built-in to the dolly is fine, but just adds weight.

I have well over 10,000 miles on my EZE-Tow with no problems, towing several type cars and front wheel drive SUV's...and being so light, I can move it around by myself and just slide it under the RV's rear overhang at campgrounds (if needed).

Best luck
Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Is it possible someone works for a certain type car carrier?
Just Saying...
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsolar View Post
...I do need one with brakes and have found a Master Tow that is $950 in excellent condition used near my home, but it weighs in at 550 pounds and has surge brakes....Chris 06VH
Master Tow makes two different width/GVW dollies.. a 77" and an 80" max car width. I have the 80" with surge brakes and it works well for towing my Ford Focus. The sticker on the trailer tongue will tell which model the used one has. MASTER TOW INC. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Is it possible someone works for a certain type car carrier?
Just Saying...
Tim,

If that comment is about the recent few posts - The owner of Acme is a member on iRV2...but that's not me.

I live and work FAR FROM Kernersville, NC (Acme's factory), and after buying an EZE-tow was impressed enough to form an opinion...that opinion is no different than the MANY here who love their Demco's (a VERY GOOD dolly, BTW) or the loyalty displayed by the flat-tow crowd.

What strikes me odd is how many slam certain things in the RV world without any specific understanding or experience...like "my brother in law's - friend's - gardener said..."

You can pay more and you can drag around more weight - but facts are facts. And, knowledge is power.

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cool, Well put. I can't tow 4 down either, the 99 is front wheel drive and my 64 Caddie is just that a 64 Caddie and besides I don't even think it will fit... and I would be over length too.
Thanks, Tim

spritz is online now   Reply With Quote