Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

TST Tpms questions

Getting ready to put a tpms on the Rv and Toad. Thinking I will go with the TST system but I have a few questions......
1) looking at TST's web site it appears they have 3 types systems, cap mounted, hub mounted, and flow thru . It looks like all 3 simple screw into the valve stem, correct ? Where do the hub mounted get mounted ?
2) if I go with the cap mounted is it that difficult to take them off and add air ?
3) my Toad is an 06 wrangler that I will be trail riding with. Nothing super hardcore but I read someone say they use the 510 sensors because they are smaller. Can you mix 507 sensors and 510 sensors and the system still work ?
4) for those with jeeps do you leave your sensors on when you wheel or do you pull them off then put them back on before you hook up ?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
Getting ready to put a tpms on the Rv and Toad. Thinking I will go with the TST system but I have a few questions......
1) looking at TST's web site it appears they have 3 types systems, cap mounted, hub mounted, and flow thru . It looks like all 3 simple screw into the valve stem, correct ? Where do the hub mounted get mounted ?
2) if I go with the cap mounted is it that difficult to take them off and add air ?
3) my Toad is an 06 wrangler that I will be trail riding with. Nothing super hardcore but I read someone say they use the 510 sensors because they are smaller. Can you mix 507 sensors and 510 sensors and the system still work ?
4) for those with jeeps do you leave your sensors on when you wheel or do you pull them off then put them back on before you hook up ?
Thanks
I went with the non flow through type. You don't have to add air very often and it's easy to remove them. The flow through are heavier and just add another complexity.
You can not mix the 507 and 510 sensors. I leave the sensors on my Jeep while off road and driving around once we reach our destination. I don't remove them until I put the motor home in storage. The sensors are light enough that they don't create any problems. I did remove the anti theft shells which makes it easier to put them on and off. So for I've never had any one mess with a sensor.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When TST first started up I purchased the 510 system. I ran that for many years until the 507 flow through came out and then upgraded to them. They are not interchangeable. Each one must have it's own dedicated monitor.

They are easy to remove and add air, or you can add air through them, only it takes a little longer.

The weight seems to have no effect on tire balance. At least not that I can tell.

I just purchased the color monitor and it is a big improvement. Much easier to read. I works with the 507 sensors.

I now check my tire pressure every morning with a cup of coffee in the drivers seat. Love it, especially if it's raining.

I can monitor each tire as I cruise along the highway from the drivers seat, and if anything goes out of parameter a chime warns me.

Wouldn't be without it.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

I'm actually running 507's and 510's on the same system. I bought a 507 kit with 6 sensors for the bus. I don't like the flow-through sensors because I find I have to take them off to add air anyway. I called TST and the lady told me that 510's would work so that's what I put on the Jeep. I also added a repeater and everything works fine. The battery life on the 507's appears to be shorter, although we are putting lots of miles on the bus without towing so who knows for sure.
If I ever buy more sensors for the bus I will buy 510's. I like the sounds of the new color monitor. I find my monitor is a bit tough to read in some lighting conditions. I put a piece of black tape over the sensor so that the backlighting is always on.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

I ended up getting the 507 with the color monitor and the screw on caps. Do the screw on caps require metal valve stems ? There is nothing in the manual about it.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #6

I have had a TST on my MH for 8 years. I use the 507 pass thrus on the MH and the 510's on my toad. The smaller 510's are less obtrusive on the toad wheels. They DO both work together with no problems. It is not a hassle to add air to the 510's.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

Metal valve stems are a really good idea whether you use TPMS or not. I had a rubber valve stem on a 5th wheel cut by a piece of metal that was bouncing down the road a few years ago. I paid to get all of them changed out as soon as I got home. Many years before that, several of us on motorcycles stopped for lunch after a high speed run out on I-10 west of the Pecos. When we came out one guy had a flat. The rubber valve stem had a crack in it, and he was lucky it didn't go flat an hour sooner. I have metal valve stems on 2 bikes, a motorhome and 1 car..... and you've reminded me to go look at what's on the other one.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #8

As info: On my 507 system with the cap sensors, I had problems with loosing individual tire pressure signals randomly until I added the repeater----since then, no issues.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Absolutely love my 510 system. I have 10 sensors, 6 on mh, 4 on toad. Like Cooperhawk, I check my air from the pilot seat with a cup of coffee, and I'm still in my jammies! I have a repeater mounted just inside the rear engine doors, works real good, couldn't be gooder.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #10

It's possible that you really have the TST 507 flow through on your motorhome and the 507 cap on your towed vehicle. It is true that the TST 507 sensors and the TST 510 sensors are not interchangeable.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
I ended up getting the 507 with the color monitor and the screw on caps. Do the screw on caps require metal valve stems ? There is nothing in the manual about it.
Although you do not need to have metal valve stems for the TST 507 cap sensors, many people do change out to metal for peace of mind. It is the lightest sensor available. I have used the cap sensors on my towed vehicles since 2009 with no issues.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #12

Got my toad valve stems swapped out this weekend . Everything works as it should
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks
The TST RV cap sensor is the lightest sensor that TST makes. It comes with an outer cap that is the anti-theft device. You will screw this sensor on to the valve stem with a wrench that is provided. The outer cap will just spin when the sensor is tightened on to the valve stem. It can be put on a rubber valve stem or on a metal valve stem.

The TST FT flow through sensor is longer and heavier than the RV cap sensor. It is best used on the high pressure, larger tires and is recommended to put on a metal valve stem. You can air up the tires through the sensor. Because it is longer, it is not recommended for smaller tires.

The TST Hub mounted system is designed for commercial trucks. It is attached with metal plates to the wheel and has hoses that go to the valve stems. TST also has an SCE sensor designed for commercial application. It has an extended life battery. The sensor itself must be replaced at the end of the battery life. It is our heaviest sensor and must be placed on metal valve stems.

The TST 510 sensor is also heavier than the TST 507 RV sensor. It has an extended life battery. The sensor itself must be replaced at the end of the battery life. It is recommended to use these sensors on metal valve stems.

The 507 and 510 systems are not interchangeable. They are separate systems and cannot be used together. The TST 507 RV and FT systems have user-replaceable batteries. The batteries are CR1632 and last about a year to a year and a half.

You may remove the outer cap of the 507 RV sensor and just use the sensor itself. It will be smaller. But, in an off-road situation, you may want to put silicone around the sensor to give it an added layer of protection from the elements since it won’t have the outer cap. The sensor can just be screwed on to the valve stem by hand. No tool will be needed.

If you have any other questions, you can call TST. They will be happy to help you.