Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #1

Has any one had any experience with one of these devices?
Thanks in advance
David

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #2

Has any one had any experience with one of these devices?
Thanks in advance
David

Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

No, but it is an interesting concept if you have a grossly overweight trailer tongue. I'd rather use a weight distributing hitch, though, and if that wasn't adequate for the tongue weight I'd be shopping for a more capable tow vehicle.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #4

Gary,
From what I have been told about the weight distubing hitches is that do not take off tongue weight. If the tongue is too heavey its still too heavy. What I was told is that when you stop it puts pressure on the tongue to attempt to pick up the back of the rig which then keeps the front wheels of the towing vehicle on the ground. My rig is large enough to tow the trailer, however I supplied Continential Cargo with a weight distubution plan and they failed to take that into account when they placed the axles. So I am stuck. I think the Tuff Tow is the answer seems there are 2600 of them out on the road. This will put most all of the tongue weight on the Tuff Tow and leaving only about 500 to 1000 lbs on the rig hitch, which is just right.
Thanks for the reply.
David
Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From what I have been told about the weight distubing hitches is that do not take off tongue weight. If the tongue is too heavey its still too heavy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First time I've ever hard THAT opinion, Dave. If that were the case, nearly all travel trailers on the road today would be overweight on the tongue load.

It is easy to see that the spring bars in a WD hitch actually do transfer weight when standing still. Simply hitch up the trailer without the bars and observe the distance from the hitch or tow vehicle fender well to the ground. Then install the spring bars and torque them up with the lever and chain mechanism and watch the rear of the tow vehicle rise as weight is taken off the rear and transferred forward. You don't need to be stopping to have this effect.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:43 AM   #6

A lot of us racers have moved from a dually to a motorhome. Some guys use a Tuff Tow, but it has some problems. It has to be pined to back up, and they used to be hard on tires. Seems like the Trailer Toad is a little nicer. I have never used a Toad or a Tuff Tow, just telling what I see. No welding needs to be done to the trailer, and any trailer can be hooked to the toad. But to tell the truth, most of us have just added some braces to the rear of the motorhome, go to a better hitch, and use a WD hitch. I use 1200lb bars, and a sway bar. The motorhome rides better with the trailer then without.

http://www.trailertoad.com/

28' enclosed car trailer
DragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #7

Drag Racer,
I looked at the Trailer Toad and one other, but it adds to the overall length of my rig which is now about 67 feet. Although a lot more expensive it keeps me close to legal. The coach and trailer are registered in Montana and the length there is 75 feet. Have you ever weighed your tongue weight when loaded? Depending on how I load the trailer I either have 1400 lbs which is close to factory recommendations or 2000 lbs which is way too much. What worries me is screwing with either the supension or the frame of the coach. It's a Freightliner chassi. I agree that the coach drives maybe even better with the trailer. I have less push from on coming and passing trucks.
Thanks for the info.
David
Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #8

Drag Racer,
Wanted to add I love the cars. The one last issue is if you have the tongue space and can fit the Tuff Tow it runs $1850.00, I cannot imagine it would cost a $1000.00 to install. It is then compact, doesn't add to the length of the rig,and it is the same price as your device with one less finger pincher to deal with???
David
Old 06-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #9

David,
I havent check tounge weight in a long time. I would guess it's close to 1000lbs, maybe a little more. I would never tell anybody to do this, I'm just saying there are a lot of us doing it with no problems. I'm 63 feet right now, Mich lets us go 65 feet. Most weekends we tow 75 miles round trip on flat roads. Bob

28' enclosed car trailer
DragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #10

For me it's a full time deal. I have my Harley, my wifes,gym on the lift in the front, beer fridge, computer, flat screen, car and the works. Includes neon beer signs it's my hang out. That being said I need it to work. Thanks for all the ideas hope to see you on the road.
David