Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #1

Turning Jeep Off?

I have a 2014 Jeep 4D Rubicon towed by a MH with air brakes. My supplemental will be an M&G. After reading the Jeep manual on 4-down towing, I was DISAPPOINTED to read that I have to disconnect the negative battery lead each time.

That means I'll lose all my settings on whatever electronic gear requires power with ignition off. This is a major bummer. I'd heard the new Jeeps do not require electrical disconnect. I must have been misinformed.

Will you confirm the need to fully disconnect the battery in transit; or, if you don't do it, what consequences have you experienced?

Thanks,
J. Lewis
2008 CC Allure 470 38'

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, you just need to pull a fuse or two, alas, I do not know which ones.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, I believe you will hear from others that Jeep needs to update the manual! there is no need to disconnect the battery, mine is a 2011 and the manual said the same as yours, I have towed it since 2011 with no issues and don't disconnect the battery, I also have a M&G braking system on mine. The reason years ago for this was you had to leave the key in and on so the steering wheel could turn during towing, now you don't, pull the key out, and the wheel can turn. I have the battery disconnect that I got with my braking system laying on my workbench if you need one though..........never used it.
No need to pull fuses, turn the key off and remove it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=isco...com&gws_rd=ssl
Old 10-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #4

Eagles,

I have a 2013 Rubicon. I...
hitch it up
hook it up
drop the transfer case in neutral
Install Brake Buddy
pull the key and go.

I have never disconnected the battery.

Works like a charm!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
2015 Willys Wheeler here. Just towed it for the first time other than a short test run about 1200 miles. Battery connected, transfer case in N, auto trans in P, key off and in pocket. No problems. We have a Ready Brake/Ready Stop.

We lock the doors by pressing the button on the door instead of alarming it. Works great except I found that if you just unlock it using the key in the door the alarm goes off anyway I also found that the manual, online or paper is not up to date or something. See this thread on shifting back into gear after towing Shifting a Wrangler back into gear The instructions in manual did not work.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
I have a 2014 Jeep 4D Rubicon .... that I have to disconnect the negative battery lead each time.
There are a number of threads about this and, as others have noted, it does vary. It seems to vary by model year (and even mid-year). I think it generally boils down to whether or not you have a steering wheel lock. If so, you must turn the key to unlock it which will cause the battery to drain so disconnecting the battery (or pulling fuses) is necessary. My 2010 JK does NOT have a steering wheel lock - I simply pull they key (leaving battery connected) when I tow - no problems.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
JD is right, it depends on whether or not the key must be in the unlocked position for the steering wheel/front tires to turn. I'll bet my pension it does not.

That manual needs to be updated. The change was made mid-year 2008. I installed a blade switch on the negative battery terminal on our '07 - for our '12 it's pull the keys, lock the doors and away we go.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #9

Turning Jeep Off?

From OP:
Thanks, everyone. That's a big Whew! And Yea! from here.

Now, same question, different Jeep. My son just bought a 2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon, aka "LJ". It's an automatic, too, (and a very sweet ride. Very rare find, had only 56,000 miles.)

What does he need to do to tow IT 4 down?

Thanks in advance.

J. Lewis
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38' tag
Old 10-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
All automatic Jeeps after about 2008 that have a transfer case that can be shifted to neutral and have the steering wheel lock function removed at the factory are used as described by vtwinwilly above.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
From OP:
Thanks, everyone. That's a big Whew! And Yea! from here.

Now, same question, different Jeep. My son just bought a 2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon, aka "LJ". It's an automatic, too, (and a very sweet ride. Very rare find, had only 56,000 miles.)

What does he need to do to tow IT 4 down?

Thanks in advance.

J. Lewis
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38' tag
I'm not sure but I can say that our last toad, a '94 Geo Tracker 5 speed manual, had a lock steering column and we had to turn the key on to tow it. On a short trip it was no problem but if we went for more than four hours or so we disconnected the negative battery lead just in case. I would just try to turn the wheels with the key out first. If you can not turn them then the key will need to be on and either disconnect the battery or find out what dash lights are on and pull fuses. Some people install small switches to just turn off the dash lights.

Hopefully someone here has a similar Jeep and can say for sure.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #12

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra, towed it many times behind our motor home never gave disconnecting the battery a second thought,....not even a first one!
Not sure what an M&G is. With air brakes on the MH, I use a Roadmaster Brakemaster that I installed myself. Only way to go IMHO.
Little light comes on in my dash to tell me when the brakes are on in the Jeep, truly proportional braking. Here's a link.
etrailer.com - Products RoadMaster BrakeMaster
Hope this helps
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Eagles, I am new to motor homing but I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with auto trans. I put transfer case in neutral, auto trans in park, take key out, lock doors and down the road we go. Works for us.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #14

I have towed my 12 JK about 12,000 miles and use the Blue Ox Patriot breaking system that works off the battery of the Jeep. I installed the Toad Charger I know that you can run a 12v lead from MH but the Toad Charger seams to be well made and I have had no problems with it and it was easy to install.