Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

I'm a big fan of "beaters" as tows.

I personally want a car that is :

A) Cheap to buy
B) Cheap to fix and maintain
C) I don't mind getting filthy and don't care to wash - ever!
D) I don't mind climbing into with muddy feet, dirty shoes, wet clothes.
E) Takes cheap tires.
F) Is incredibly easy to hook, unhook and tow and go.
G) I don't mind if I break something because of my own stupidity.

So in my book the following tow vehicles fit this bill.

1) Subaru outback / legacy base model manual tranny. My top pick because it's rugged, 4 cylinder, all wheel drive, parts readily available, and because the car is mostly undesirable to the rest of the world, incredibly cheap to buy used.

2) Geo tracker - light, efficient, cheap.

3) Suzuki samurai - cheap, light, efficient, will out 4x4 any jeep.

4) Used mini cooper manual - cheap, light, efficient

5) Used chevy tahoe - but you might not be able to tow that weight!

Further, I like the M&G braking system. Air line to the car, uses compressed air to work the master cylinder of the car. No brake buddy, no silly unit I have to put in and out of the car.

With the mini cooper, you probably wound't need a braking system at all!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #16

Been towing a 2009 automatic Saturn Vue 4-down for over 4yrs. with out any problems. It pretty much is the same as a Honda CRV, but when I bought it they were practically giving them away since it was the last year of being built.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I currently have two "Toads" and at one time towed a Jeep Wrangler. When I had 40' DP'S , Toad weight was not a significant issue, but since I downsized to a Rig with a 5000/500 lb tow rating and a GCWR only 3500 lbs > than my GCWR - tow weight was more critical. I currently have a Malibu Max and a Smart Cat rigged for towing. (Would never consider towing our Ecalade or Chrysler Town & Country even if my rating allowed it.)

I put "Ready Brake" cables on both toads. Mostly take Smarty when I take a car at all but when I need a four seater, I take the Malibu. I do notice the extra ~1550 lbs with the Malibu over the ~1850lbs Smarty in terms of load and gas milage. Simply more wt = more energy required to move it. Do not notice any difference in stopping distance when the Ready brake is applied.

So IMHO, lighter is better, as long as the size of the lighter vehicle suits your needs. Smarty is fun to drive but with the shorter wheelbase it is a bumpy ride on rough roads.

I went the dolly route for a while and kept it around for several years but eventually sold it because my preference is 4 down.

Good luck in whatever option you chose. Hope my comments help.
totally right on the used smart car too by the way. your tow vehicle is simply something to get you around in my opinion. Now we are young, so we go places some might have no interest in - like boondocking in the middle of no where desert, or deep into the smokey mountains for some hiking, fishing, rafting that kind of junk. That subaru has been a great car for some light off roading, and it has 56 cubic feet of space in the back, only 3 cubic feet less than the range rover I used to own! We decked out the entire inside with rubber mats and have no qualms about loading her up firewood, wet feet, mud, all that jazz.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Been towing a 2009 automatic Saturn Vue 4-down for over 4yrs. with out any problems. It pretty much is the same as a Honda CRV, but when I bought it they were practically giving them away since it was the last year of being built.

x2 on the vue. I would choose this over the CRV - I thought the CRV's were too expensive, even used, for what you actually get.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Spritz, nice set up. I'm an old Cadillac fan and have a 69 Eldorado. Does the Cad push the weight limit to the max for your rig?
I thought I responded yesterday but must of forgot to hit the send key!!!!! I also have a 64 deville.
Got any pictures of the 69 eldo? No on the weight but might be close If I remember it weights in around #3450
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	72501  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing