Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Two not great cars for towing?

Sorry if this has been asked, ive been reading lots the last few days but thought id finally ask.

Im looking to buy our first rv next spring, probably the thor miramar which i believe has a 5k hitch.

I have two cars right now, i know i will need to sell one but was hoping i could keep one and tow it. Ive read dolleys aren't a great idea? and also just because it says 5k doesn't mean the car can weigh that much?

I guess the question is can i tow a 2013 mustang convertible or a 2013 328 convertible behind a miramar? im hoping its the 328 as ill lose my shirt on it.

Thanks and again sorry for the newbie questions.
ClassAToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us. I'm sorry to say that you won't be able to tow either car with all four wheels down. If you go to the FMCA website you will find a listing for all cars that can be towed with 4 down. Second problem iis that if you tow either car with a dolly you will most likely exceed the 5000lb. max towing weight.

Good luck withh the search and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #3

Thanks, just what i was worried about. I guess i can sell the mustang first, just so we have a toad our first year of weekend and holiday travel, if we go more fulltime after that Ill have to dump the bmw.

Im guessing lots of people go with smart cars due to size and weight?
ClassAToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't say lots of people go with a Smart car, probably the most popular toads based on what I read here is the Honda CRV and Jeep Wrangler. But that doesn't mean other towable vehicles wouldn't make a good toad for you. Think about what you need the toad to do, not only when motorhoming but also just for everyday use. Then check all the towable vehicles that can do what you need it to do. Most auto manufacturers make vehicles that can be flat towed. Good Luck and welcome to IRV2!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My guess is you may be limited to a 4K tow limit if you get a 22K chassis and are loaded to max. A 22K chassis has a 26K GCWR. If you aren't fully loaded then your tow capacity is GCWR - GVW up to 5K.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
A good tow vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler. It is lightweight, easy to tow 4 wheel down, and with 4X4 capability can make for some nice off road adventures.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A good used Ford Focus(stick), Chevy HHR, or many other cars. Go look up the Motorhome Magazine online towing guide. Good place to start. Jeeps can be very pricey, even when purchased used.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
A good used Ford Focus(stick), Chevy HHR, or many other cars. Go look up the Motorhome Magazine online towing guide. Good place to start. Jeeps can be very pricey, even when purchased used.
Very true on used Jeeps, we have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2 door, we get at least once every two weeks a letter from dealers asking us if we want to sell ours - the wife loves her Jeep and refuses to sell it - as she says why sell something that is already built up the way she likes that she has had since new and knows how it operates - one other option is the new Jeep Cherokee - I like the old cherokees (and have built a couple of them) but I do like some of the features on the new ones which includes a toad mode and it is cheaper then the wrangler
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #10

Our H3 Hummer has been an excellent toad for us. It carries quite a bit of gear to take on adventure rides, whether it be to the beach...driving on the beach ...some cleared trails or whatever...paired with SMI AFO for stopping, she's a great fun vehicle.
I wish I could buy a brand new one, if only they still made them.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassAToad View Post
Thanks, just what i was worried about. I guess i can sell the mustang first, just so we have a toad our first year of weekend and holiday travel, if we go more fulltime after that Ill have to dump the bmw.

Ours is far from a smart car (LOL) we have been towing her for 3 years and have had -0- trouble.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	72405  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassAToad View Post

I had the 5,000 lbs weight restriction with my last MH. I bought a Tacoma PU, 3,950 lbs on the scale with me in it. I used a drive shaft disconnect and it has been a wonderful toad with the truck bed in the back. It is so versatile that I am going to keep it with the new MH that can tow 15,000 lbs.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #13

Spritz, nice set up. I'm an old Cadillac fan and have a 69 Eldorado. Does the Cad push the weight limit to the max for your rig?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #14

I currently have two "Toads" and at one time towed a Jeep Wrangler. When I had 40' DP'S , Toad weight was not a significant issue, but since I downsized to a Rig with a 5000/500 lb tow rating and a GCWR only 3500 lbs > than my GCWR - tow weight was more critical. I currently have a Malibu Max and a Smart Cat rigged for towing. (Would never consider towing our Ecalade or Chrysler Town & Country even if my rating allowed it.)

I put "Ready Brake" cables on both toads. Mostly take Smarty when I take a car at all but when I need a four seater, I take the Malibu. I do notice the extra ~1550 lbs with the Malibu over the ~1850lbs Smarty in terms of load and gas milage. Simply more wt = more energy required to move it. Do not notice any difference in stopping distance when the Ready brake is applied.

So IMHO, lighter is better, as long as the size of the lighter vehicle suits your needs. Smarty is fun to drive but with the shorter wheelbase it is a bumpy ride on rough roads.

I went the dolly route for a while and kept it around for several years but eventually sold it because my preference is 4 down.

Good luck in whatever option you chose. Hope my comments help.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing