Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Two Toads- One Braking System

Just bought a new Colorado to use as a commuter and toad. Will also keep the very dependable CR-V. Currently have a 11 year old brake buddy that will need repairs or replacement. Would like to have one brake assist to switch between both vehicles. What would be the recommendation? Looking hard at the RV1. Have they been reliable for those that own them?

2004 Allegro 32BA
2005 Honda CRV
TimLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

If you want to swap from one vehicle to another, this is a good choice. I have had mine for over five years and very satisfied.

Blue Ox BRK2012 Patriot Portable Brake System | Free Shipping - By Blue Ox | HitchSource.com

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
I have the RVi brake and it was very easy and dependable... until it got flooded by a leak from my ice maker line when stored in basement. I sent it back and they fixed it at no charge and it worked well for a couple of short trips but now it takes longer to pump up. They are very good to work with and I need to send it back again.
I really like the size and ease of use, but apparently it is not waterproof... (my fault)

On the other hand, the TPMS has always been a problem. It constantly looses connection and I did not use it for a cross country last summer. I haven't talked to them about it yet.
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
We've had the RVi system for about 4 years now. Works great. We don't use the TPMS System as we had another system for that already. The only problem I have had was the 12Vdc plug/fuse holder messed up. That was probably self inflected. I just replaced that myself. Swap between the truck and the CRV. No issues.
Mike & Robin
Amber the Mighty Mighty Chi Chi with her
Boston Terrier Brother & Sister Jeb & Daisy.
2005 American Tradition
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
I was goig to get the RVi brake system but this is my last rodeo and I went with the Air Force One but I did get the battery charge system to keep my battery charged on my Ford Edge.
RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
We have been using the same Brake Buddy for about 15 years towing: a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Colorado Crew and now a Sierra Crew. It went back to BB for one repair. We don't plan on replacing soon.
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
The RoadMaster BrakeMaster is easily moved from vehicle to vehicle. I did it with our '97 Jeep GC and the '05 Ody for several years. RoadMaster has a kit to do it with all the parts needed.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
We bought a 2014 Honda CRv before we ever bought our coach because there were a few leftovers at the local dealer and it was the last year for 4 down towable. I ordered all the parts to pull with the coach. Most of them Blue Ox including a Patriot brake system.

Before we picked up our DS I decided I wanted a Wrangler (had a Tacoma, but they aren't 4 down capable as stock) so we traded the Tacoma for a '15 Wrangler JKU.

We're pulling the Jeep, haven't put the baseplate on the Honda yet, but if I want to the Patriot is ready to go.

I'm happy with the Patriot, it takes about 2 minutes to install, Blue Ox customer support is top notch. If I ever want to upgrade, change, trade or just sell it I can pull it out of the coach and put it on Craig's List.
2016 Roadtrek CS Adventurous
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I am very satisfied with my RVI2 brake. It is much smaller and lighter than some of the other brands and works great. Their customer service is top notch. I had a small issue with the remote losing reception and they paid shipping both ways to replace the entire unit. The braking capabilities were never compromised, I just lost remote reception at times. The replacement unit has been working great for over a year.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:09 AM   #10
Thanks for all the help

No doubt there are lots of good choices these days.
I appreciate the feedback. I am going to research each suggested choice and watch for a good deal. (If my old Brake Buddy keeps working)
2004 Allegro 32BA
2005 Honda CRV
TimLoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
I recommend the Ready Brake (or whatever the correct name is). It has been sold by Blue Ox, but others have it too.

This is the adapter that goes between the tow bar and the coach to allow a slight fore-aft movement. As the coach decelerates, the brake system pulls a cable attached to the car's brake pedal. This keeps the toad from pushing the coach, and it is perfectly proportional.

The cable disconnects when you disconnect the toad from the tow bar. The cable on the brake pedal is left in place. For a different toad, you just get another cable for the brake pedal, install it and you're good to go, and you can switch cars with no change in setup.

The beauty of these systems is that you can hop in the car without worrying about that big brake box on the floor, and there is no power draw on the car's system.

We towed our Jeep Liberty all last year and it worked perfectly.

My description sounds a little awkward, but it is the simplest brake to use of any out there.

I sold mine with the Jeep and have a new one ready to install on our Saturn.

Take a look, Amazon has them for about $450.

Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Ready brake or full system ready brute with just a little add on for the second rig. Once installed just hookup like normal with one xtra cable from tow to toad, no putting heavy objects on the floor no battery drain all mechanical.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote

toad, toads