Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Question Two towing options I am considering - need advice.

I've been looking into towing options for my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid (3700lbs curb weight) (137k miles). First off, we are part timers. Probably take 7 trips a year. This year we are taking a two week trip to Utah/Arizona from Indiana. I have a 2003 McKenzie Rogue (Ford V10).
The other point worth mentioning is this RV has a tow rating of 3500lbs. We called Monaco and they said that towing the Ford Fusion would be fine as it is 200lbs over the 3500lb limit. I didn't ask the Monaco yet about adding the tow dolly though would add another 550lbs to that.

Two options I am looking at:
1) Ready Brute Elite (with surge brakes) $1200
Baseplate + installation = $900
Car brake light setup wiring harness = $75 (?)
Total around $2200

2) 2015 Mastertow tow dolly with electric brakes and lights. $1300
Weight of two dolly 550lbs.

Any comments on either option? I am leaning towards option 2 for the lower cost. I am not sure about the additional weight of the tow dolly. I would need to call the RV manf and ask them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm surprised anyone would tell you its OK to tow above the max limit of your equipment. They just opened themselves up to a huge liability.

With that said,

I would probably tow it, but only after I climbed underneath and took a careful look at the hitch, its condition, attach points, etc. Then a few follow up inspections to ensure nothing has changed

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

I would go with option 2. Also look at EZE tow dolly. If you were going more than 7 times a year the flat tow option might be better. Also, how long are you planning to stay at the locations you go to, when you go out. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

It really varies. During our trip out West, some places we stay 2 days and others 3. For local trips, we might stay 5 days in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
I would go with option 2. Also look at EZE tow dolly. If you were going more than 7 times a year the flat tow option might be better. Also, how long are you planning to stay at the locations you go to, when you go out. Dave
Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #5

tmaxx - from your comment about how often you stop, I would go with a 4 down tow vehicle. From my experience and seeing others that are towing, the 4 down would be better than the tow dolly. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
4 down if you plan on keeping the car another 6 years.
Dolly if less.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #7

Each have their own issues if you tow a dolly you have to store it at home and in campgrounds, but you can tow different vehicles without added expenses. Four down slightly faster hookups, but every time you switch vehicles you have to buy and install base plates and have to be careful that vehicle can be towed without damage.

I would also not exceed tow limits the guy you talked to that says it's ok doesn't have any liability in case of an accident unless you got it in writing and I doubt that will happen.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
Three things: (1) The added weight of the dolly gets you 21 % over the towing rating of you coach. (2) There are many places where you will have to disconnect to fit, and then deal with the dolly somehow, somewhere. (3) There are times when you will be hooking up the car safety chains in the rain, on your back, in a puddle. ( These are speaking as a dolly to 4-down convert ).
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

I dont want to add more the the decision but.... You also need to consider the GVWR and GCWR of the MH. If you can you need to weigh the MH with all the gear you normally travel with, a full tank of fuel, and 1/3 fresh water tank.
Four down will not add the the GVWR but is included in the GCWR. A tow dolly will add the tongue weight to the GVWR as well as be included in GCWR.
It's possible that could make the decision for you.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #10

I tie with an Eze Tow dolly. My Murano is similar in weight to your vehicle. Of course my DP has a higher tow rating so pulling is not an issue. Total cost to get set up was a bit over $2k when all was said and done. None of my vehicles are capable of being towed 4 down so that was not an option.

I guess the thing I'd be concerned with matches some of the previous comments regarding gross vehicle weight. I'd also be concerned about going up long mountain roads if I was at or slightly over the tow capacity.

Have you considered just renting a car when you get to your destination? Not sure if that's an option but might be worth doing the math
Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #11

Funny I've been towing with a dolly for years I've never had to lay on the ground to connect or disconnect safety chains. Am I doing something wrong? Twist the chain to take up the slack and hook it into tow hook on the frame of the car where the manufacturer installed it. Either way you tow you need to connect safety chains. It's more a matter of preference and economics to each their own.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly with electric brakes only weighs 350 pounds and is 100% fully welded. It easily stores vertically. Used dollies have remarkable resale value.

Tags
advice, tow, towing