Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Troglegs
Type of Roadmaster Brakemaster for Fleetwood Southwind Gas Motorhome

I purchased a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 supplemental braking system new I the box from a private party, thinking it should work fine on my 1999 Fleetwood Southwind 35S (Ford F53 gas) motorhome to stop my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

When I read the box further, however, it mentioned the possibility of "air over hydraulic" brakes.... I can recall that my coach makes a whirring noise when i step on the brake pedal before starting it. I was concerned that I may have bought the wrong Roadmaster brake kit. I always thought my gas coach had hydraulic brakes and that diesel pushers had air brakes. I have not heard of "air over hydraulic" before.

Can anyone advise me if they've successfully installed the Roadmaster 9060 system on their Fleetwood Southwind or similar Gas Motorhome? Moreover, id like to know what "air over hydraulic" brakes are, so i know if I have them. I always thought air brakes made the air release sound and hydraulics were "silent". Maybe i just need some education here. Id appreciate any feedback, so i know whether i have to look for a different braking system than the one just bought or just go ahead and install the compressor and components for the 9060 I already bought.

Thanks, and Happy Trails...

Tom
Troglegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything I have read says you have the right model for your F-53.

Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If you got an air compressor in your kit you should be ok. 9060 is for hydraulic brakes and 9160 for air brakes. Check ebay search "brakemaster" for differ kit
rvGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #4

The noise you hear is some kind of hydraulic brake assist or booster. You do not have air brakes.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #5

You have the right system. It's the same one I installed on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer built on the Ford F53 chassis.

Your motorhome is equipped with the Hydromax braking system. The sound you hear when stepping on the brake pedal (with the ignition off) is an electric pump. It supplies assist pressure so you can stop the coach if the engine dies or the ignition is off.