Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Question Types of tow dollies

Have given up my Jeep Wrangler which was flat towed and now intend to tow 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI which must be towed with dolly. See Dollies ranging from $900 to $2,500 with or without brakes and some noted as steerable or with revolving platform that car front wheels sit on. Would appreciate any info from M/H owners using various types of dollies as to what the differences are between towing with the straight dollies as opposed to steerable dollies.
Fancydancer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a MasterTow dolly 80THD (electric brakes). Car sits on swivel deck. Easy to load/unload car. We tow a 2004 Volvo wagon. Never had a problem so far. Can't back up with a dolly unless you unload car. Easy to disconnect dolly and move by hand when needed. I store the dolly in my garage in front of the car when not on the road. Good Luck with your decision.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a Landgrebe TD 40 101. It has steerable wheels and electric brakes.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unfortunately this topic will become like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.

I use a Demco KarKaddy SS dolly with steerable wheels and surge brakes. Yes, I paid at the top end but I got what I believe to be one of the better dollys. Its heavy. No way can you prop it up on the garage wall. The tongue and ramps however do fold for convenient storage. It comes with a third wheel for the tongue which makes it easy to move. It has ST205/75R14 tires and after towing a 2008 Toyota Avalon over 15,000 miles the tires show no wear. The steerable wheels allow the dolly to track the motorhome without cutting the corner.

I have read several posts here with some of the lighter weight dollys having wheel alignment problems so severe the tires needed to be replaced after as little as 500 miles. It is fixable by doing some cutting, heating, bending and strengthening the axle however.

Bottom line, you get exactly what you pay for. You can of course go the inexpensive way but by the time you do a lot of modifications you could have bought a quality dolly and had trouble free service.

This is just my experience and I'm sure there are those using different dollys that are completely satisfied.

Demco. Doing our Best to Provide You the Best - KarKaddy SS
Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

There are two stickies at the top of this forum that provide lots of good information.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

We pull one of the landgrebe dollys. We pulled a road master for 15 years. And I had to weld it back together every few months. roadmaster is a t-framed dolly as most dollys are. Laundgrebe is an a-framed dolly and after 2 years I still haven't had to do anything to it. We bought ours with surge brakes (no wiring or controller needed) comes with breakaway control. Dolly has lights as well as a plug on the dolly in case you want to put magnetic lights on your car (as we do) It's steerable too.