RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
U. S. GEAR tow brake

We have had a u.S. Gear tow brake for over 10 years. We have done repairs to keep it working. It seems to be nearing it's useful life. We can not find a tow brake that is similar.

Does anyone know if a tow brake like the U.S.Gear is still being manufactured under another brand. Or is there a parts manufacturer. Our brake is a UTB-1000.

Holiday Rambler Neptune, 2005 DP. No air brakes on coach, hydraulic. 2001 Jeep Cherokee.

rambler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

Check with these folks for a UTB-1000
US Gear Unified Tow Brake UTB-1000 - Value RV Parts

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought our U.S.Gear braking system 14 years ago and have moved it between three different toads with no problems so far. Put 90,000 miles on it.

I'm curious what kind of problem you are having with it so I can keep an eye on mine.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
US Gear doesn't make them anymore but you may find old stock systems and parts still available. There is a new company called Smart Brake, LLC that is marketing something that looks nearly the same as the old US Gear system but uses a common trailer brake controller installed in the RV instead of the custom controller.
https://www.smartbrakellc.com/index.html
I would like to hear from someone that has used the thing.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
we have gone through the trouble shooting list and tested the components. It seems that we might have a bad controller in the MH. We are having trouble locating it since US Gear does not mfg. this any more.
Thank you for your reply
Old 07-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
So what to do? We have spoken to the Unified Tow Brake inventor, Ron Chestnut, who now owns Smart Brake. He has no parts to the old units and stated that it might be difficult to find authentic controller in the after market. We are concerned if we buy a new Smart Brake that future service and parts might not be available since it seems to be a one man enterprise. It does not seem that there is a comperable permanent proportional brake that can be controlled in the coach on the market.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler05 View Post
So what to do? We have spoken to the Unified Tow Brake inventor, Ron Chestnut, who now owns Smart Brake. He has no parts to the old units and stated that it might be difficult to find authentic controller in the after market. We are concerned if we buy a new Smart Brake that future service and parts might not be available since it seems to be a one man enterprise. It does not seem that there is a comperable permanent proportional brake that can be controlled in the coach on the market.
Try tofind used units on ebsy or craig list. I bought a nos unit for $300. I also bought one for parts. Usually it is the brsin in the toad that goes. They are avsilable
Call southwest driveline in yuma
Imho the utb is the best init ever sold.

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, tow, tow brake