Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Umbilical Cord Maintenance

I was having tail lamp, signal and brake drop outs on my way camping this weekend so when we got here we decided that we'd take a look at what the problem could be.

Just today I was riding through Eutawville, SC and we dropped by the local gun shop and picked up a .22 caliber bore brush. When I got back to the campground I got my blue umbilical cord out of the car and fetched my tools.

I began by using the bore brush in the socked holes on the umbilical cord since the contacts were practically black and were full of gunk. I spun the brush counter clockwise and this pulled the debris out of the socket. Completed I looked and the contacts in the sunlight and they looked brand new. Next I spun the cable around and did the other side.

Next step was to open the shell and check for loose wires per Depchief. There's a tiny screw just behind the face of the cord and then there's a #2 Phillips screw on the strain relief. I pulled the small screw first and backed off on the relief screw. Grabbing the cable, push the cord while holding the plug. This pops the plug out of the shell. Next step check for loose wires. I found 1 wire that was very loose in my brake signal circuit. Tightening all the screws all was well. If your cord is very old the heads could be rusted and you might not get a good bite with a small Phillips ... use a small flat blade driver. That worked. Align the notch on the plug to the slot on the shell and restore the small screw. Tighten the strain relief screw down until its fairly tight ... it's not a head bolt.

Repeat the above for side #2.

We ruled out that anything was wrong with the MH BTW by using an LED plug. All was well.

The neighbors got the same idea so 2 other umbilical cords were also serviced using the bore brush.

$1.99 for a bore brush. Good investment I'd say.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you don't mind I'd like to add what I did. After I replaced 1 sagging umbilical cord I vowed never again. I bought a 4' bungee cord at Wal-Mart in a package of two, and strung it through the center of the coil cord umbilical. I hook it to the front of the toad near the plug and do the same at the rear of the MH. Now my cord never sags and most likely will never need replaced.
Buford B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DriVer,
Checking the plugs for loose wires and cleaning the male/female contacts has been on my annual maintenance list. Unfortunately, when I learned this lesson the Internet was not available yet (I know it seems hard to believe there was a time without the Internet) and it took me quite a while to track down this problem.

Everyone who tows should add DriVer's process (or make your own) to their annual maintenance tasks.

Loctite on the screws helps keep them tight.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford B View Post
I bought a 4' bungee cord at Wal-Mart in a package of two, and strung it through the center of the coil cord umbilical.
I have a bunch of 6"-8" looped bungee cords with a ball. My umbilical cord pretty much goes straight from the back of the MH to the toad.

I initially passed the loop over the umbilical cord so it's about 1/2 way on the the cord. What I do then is slip the bungee loop over the left side knuckle on the tow bar and I place the loop just forward of the release lever on my Aladdin. The loop suspends the umbilical cord in mid-span and it works great.

Just as an after thought I pass the breakaway cable through the same loop so it remains suspended as well.

Mother is the root of all invention.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote